Indoor herbs

Love to garden? Me too! Garden talk and photos goes here: Flower gardens, vegetable gardens, organic gardening, natural pest control, houseplants, more.
Wiccan Z

Indoor herbs

Post by Wiccan Z »

I need a list of easy to grow herbs for indoors please
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

Rosemary, mini roses, sage, basil, peppermint, lavender (all of these would have to be transplanted to a larger pot after a while, when the root start growing out of the bottom)
Wiccan Z

Post by Wiccan Z »

Ravencry wrote:Rosemary, mini roses, sage, basil, peppermint, lavender (all of these would have to be transplanted to a larger pot after a while, when the root start growing out of the bottom)
where do you suppose i buy these?
Serendipity

Post by Serendipity »

The list of herbs that can be grown indoors is way to long to list here. I’d suggest checking out a website on the subject and making your selections based on your own preferences and the environments you’ll be able to put the plants in.

I used to have windows that had ledges wide enough to put four inch pots on. Don’t use standard unglazed pots for this unless you want water rings on your window ledges by the way lol. Glazed or other types of water proof pots only.

Two I would suggest not growing if you own a cat would be catnip and valerian root. Cats love these plants and you will be starting a war that I guarantee you won’t win! Also with valerian root it is a really stinky plant. I really like it and buy it by the pound online as a sleep aid but it does stink. Your family and close friends will come into the house and say, “What the heck stinks?” People who know you less well will wait a while before they say something only slightly less direct lol.

When growing herbs indoors they need special tending to keep them the correct size for their pot and for other reasons too.

You generally have to prune them to keep them from going to seed.

Every so often let the soil dry out just a bit so you don’t end up with a huge mess and then gently (did I say gently? I meant very gently!) extract the plant from the pot and brush the dirt off of the roots and then trim the roots too. It is best to do this a week to a month after trimming the top. That reduces the stress to the plant and with less foliage above the dirt the roots don’t need to supply the plant with as much water as they would otherwise. Once this is done be sure to give the plant frequent waterings for a while as fewer roots mean less water getting to the plant.

Good luck.
Wiccan Z

Post by Wiccan Z »

Serendipity wrote:The list of herbs that can be grown indoors is way to long to list here. I’d suggest checking out a website on the subject and making your selections based on your own preferences and the environments you’ll be able to put the plants in.

I used to have windows that had ledges wide enough to put four inch pots on. Don’t use standard unglazed pots for this unless you want water rings on your window ledges by the way lol. Glazed or other types of water proof pots only.

Two I would suggest not growing if you own a cat would be catnip and valerian root. Cats love these plants and you will be starting a war that I guarantee you won’t win! Also with valerian root it is a really stinky plant. I really like it and buy it by the pound online as a sleep aid but it does stink. Your family and close friends will come into the house and say, “What the heck stinks?” People who know you less well will wait a while before they say something only slightly less direct lol.

When growing herbs indoors they need special tending to keep them the correct size for their pot and for other reasons too.

You generally have to prune them to keep them from going to seed.

Every so often let the soil dry out just a bit so you don’t end up with a huge mess and then gently (did I say gently? I meant very gently!) extract the plant from the pot and brush the dirt off of the roots and then trim the roots too. It is best to do this a week to a month after trimming the top. That reduces the stress to the plant and with less foliage above the dirt the roots don’t need to supply the plant with as much water as they would otherwise. Once this is done be sure to give the plant frequent waterings for a while as fewer roots mean less water getting to the plant.

Good luck.
thank you oh so much, i do have cats, so i wont grow those two.. :3 though im sure my cat would like catnip.. :3
Serendipity

Post by Serendipity »

Look around for a vendor for bulk herbs and get yourself some valerian root.

If you can’t find one online or in town that sounds good to you try

Good Earth in Indianapolis
Here’s their contact information:
Web Sales: 317-254-8278
General Product and Store Questions: 317-253-3709
Herbs: 317-254-8604
Body Care: 317-253-6380

I’d suggest calling the Herbs number and just tell them you’ve never ordered from them before but heard good things about them and then ask for anything you want. If they don’t have it (but I’m betting they will) they’ll get it for you.

Once you have your valerian root take a little bit, I like to use about ¼ cup and put it in an old sock and then tie a knot in the sock and then give it to kitty! Hehehehe Then set back and enjoy the show! It won’t hurt the cat at all; in fact if he’s like all the cats I’ve had he’ll be in kitty heaven right here on earth!

Sometime cut open one of those catnip toys they sell and you’ll see that you’re lucky if there is a half teaspoon of herb inside it and it is always old with very little fragrance to it.
Serendipity

p. s.

Post by Serendipity »

p. s.

Just be sure to keep the valerian root in an air tight container. You'll understand why when you get it lol.

Return to “Gardening”