Suggestions for broom closet witches?

Feel free to copy this information to your Book of Shadows.
wiccanii
Banned Member

Suggestions for broom closet witches?

Post by wiccanii »

I love divination (I'm obsessed with tarot cards...sadly I don't have them physically) with all my heart, and would love to get into crystal magicks and simply magick in general. However, I'm in the broom closet, and as you can imagine, finding a good excuse as to why you need to spend 50 dollars on a crystal as a highschool freshman might be a little difficult, along with why you're buying so many candles and camping out in your room (without a door) so often.

I also can't buy any books, so I was wondering if anyone knew any free online books or blogs about the teachings of magick?
Pretty much anything you can think of would be of help. <3
Oneiroi
silverowl

Re: Suggestions for broom closet witches?

Post by silverowl »

Pinterest. I'm in the broom closet is well even though I'm 26 and married with kids. [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY] I have a secret board on Pinterest only I can see and that's where I store all sorts of witchy things. There are links to different blogs on there as well. I don't do anything with crystals so I'm no help there.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Hi there Wiccanii,
Check out this forum...thumb thru the threads there are many with links to free downloads and whatnot.
http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum/forum154.html
Then, could you swing by the intro section and let us know a little bit about yourself? Thanks :fairy:
Welcome and blessed be,
Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
lilacnyellow

Post by lilacnyellow »

I understand the closet. When I can out openly as a witch my extended family dumped me.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Baby Bear presented a well done altars-in-plain-sight post under the Altar Pictures post.

My first suggestion is to work intuitively & use what you have on hand like ordinary dishes for tools. You can find cheap rocks in aquarium supplies and garden/landscaping stores or pick them up from nature walks. Display your lucky finds as a rock collection in plain sight. Do divination with ordinary playing cards or print-cut-and-paste your own tarot deck on recipe cards. Having to improvise & DIY develops creative inspiration that is useful in everyday living. I can't pay $50 for a rock when my cat needs to go to the vet. Rocks can wait, the cat not so much.

===

@ Lil, that is their sad loss. Make the most of your path, as you have sacrificed for it.
moonraingirl

Post by moonraingirl »

lilacnyellow wrote:I understand the closet. When I can out openly as a witch my extended family dumped me.
That's so sad :(
Katrinkah

Post by Katrinkah »

wiccanii wrote: However, I'm in the broom closet, and as you can imagine, finding a good excuse as to why you need to spend 50 dollars on a crystal as a highschool freshman might be a little difficult
You dream of being a geologist? :P

You don't really need supplies to practice magic though. The power of intention is strong!
wiccanii
Banned Member

Post by wiccanii »

Thank you all so much! :D I'll most definitely be putting these suggestions to use. <3
lilacnyellow wrote:I understand the closet. When I can out openly as a witch my extended family dumped me.
I'm so sorry that happened to you Lilac ;-; They don't deserve you if they did that to you. I'm pretty sure they'd do that to me, and even more so because I'm in the lgbt closet as well ._.
Oneiroi
lilacnyellow

Post by lilacnyellow »

Thanks :) I keep trying to post a response. Really who we love should be a question of personal choice. My husband and daughter have been the two who love me even though I'm not " mainstream." It's those that do all the judging that are screwing up this world.
Lovelace

Post by Lovelace »

wiccanii wrote:I love divination (I'm obsessed with tarot cards...sadly I don't have them physically) with all my heart, and would love to get into crystal magicks and simply magick in general. However, I'm in the broom closet, and as you can imagine, finding a good excuse as to why you need to spend 50 dollars on a crystal as a highschool freshman might be a little difficult, along with why you're buying so many candles and camping out in your room (without a door) so often.

I also can't buy any books, so I was wondering if anyone knew any free online books or blogs about the teachings of magick?
Pretty much anything you can think of would be of help. <3
Hello, wiccanii and welcome to the forum :) I can't suggest much as I've only just begun my path and I'm currently living with my husband and his family who are accepting of my beliefs. I do currently hide my Wiccan interest from my side of the family as they are mostly Catholic, so I get the feeling of not wanting to let them know.

I usually use Pinterest as they have the hidden board feature, and I also use an app called golden thread tarot which is made to allow people to use and learn the quick basics of tarot. It has a digital deck and helps describe each card in its position and it's meaning and lets you do a couple of spreads as well as a card of the day. It's not much but I enjoy using it and it can be discreet.

Like the others said, there are ways to do altars hidden in plain sight, such as placing a vase filled with water (representing water) and flowers (earth) with a feather (air) and a few candles (fire) around. They're simple little ways to show your respect and its fairly cheap :) There's plenty of ways to make little things happen without openly revealing anything. We witches are known to be crafty ;)

Bright blessings to you~
lilacnyellow

Post by lilacnyellow »

As far as supplies you can use olive oil to anoint things. Enchant a cup of tea. Stir clockwise to bring things to you and anti-clockwise to remove things. That way you can cast spells on food and say the charms in your head. Use a wooden spoon as a cooking wand. A broom is a good tool that wouldn't be noticed. Wash your brimming with regular soap them dedicate it but you say it in your head if you can't be heard. Those are a few ideas to hide in plain sight.

Return to “Witchcraft & Wicca 101 - The Basics of the Craft”