Very worried for my friend

Discuss mental health issues, including suicidal thoughts, here.
WiccanBoy94

Very worried for my friend

Post by WiccanBoy94 »

My friend has been depressed lately and I'm worried that he may try suicide, he told me her was better but are there signs I should look out for just in case?
Ginger Faith!
Banned Member

Post by Ginger Faith! »

Well, if this is happening then follow your gut. If its screamin at you that this behavior isnt finished, then let him come to your house. Hang out with him, tell him you there for him and you got his back. All that stuff.
Even if you dont feel this way, pay close attention to the signs, like givin away items that meant a lot to him, or being withdrawn from convo's hed normally talk in. Just watch for them.

Blessed Be,
bebololo

Post by bebololo »

I think you should accompany your friend as much as possible. you should Try to keeping him happy.
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

tell some one. Silence = death
WitchyLady506

Post by WitchyLady506 »

Tell someone and confront him. Just tell him how you love having him around and you don't know where you'd be without him and how if he needs anything you'll always be there. From there ask him what's going on, and tell him you're scared. Sometimes when a person realizes they're loved and needed it makes them a bit happier.
Moon_Stone

Post by Moon_Stone »

I definitely agree that you do need to inform someone of what's going on with your friend. If he lives at home, tell his parents. If he's married, tell his wife. Those closest to him need to be aware of what they may not be seeing on their own. Don't feel that saving him is entirely your responsibility, but don't let your friend's need for help slip through your fingers either.

Sometimes, the family "doesn't want to hear it." They have the mentality of "it could never happen in my family"... "not to my son/daughter...." and they will ignore the signs right in front of them. I commend you for caring about your friend, for recognizing the trouble signs, and most of all, for doing something about it.
~M

Here are some resources:
(Even though you are not the person feeling suicidal, you can still call these help lines for some guidance with this situation.)
Suicide Hotlines (this is a post I created a while back. Just look for your area and the corresponding hotline info should be listed there.)

NAMI, National Alliance on Mental Illness (this is the resources page for the 'major depression' category.)

Signs & Symptoms of Major Depression (from NAMI)

"The onset of the first episode of major depression may not be obvious if it is gradual or mild. The symptoms of major depression characteristically represent a significant change from how a person functioned before the illness. The symptoms of depression include:

* little interest or pleasure in doing things;
* feeling down, depressed or hopeless;
* trouble falling or staying asleep or sleeping too much;
* feeling tired or having little energy;
* poor appetite or overeating;
* feeling bad about yourself, that you are a failure or have let yourself or your family down;
* trouble concentrating on things, such as reading the newspaper or watching television;
* moving or speaking so slowly that other people could have noticed or the opposite in that you are so fidgety or restless that you have been moving around a lot more than usual; and
* thoughts that you would be better off dead or of hurting yourself in some way.

When several of these symptoms of depressive illness occur at the same time, last longer than two weeks and interfere with ordinary functioning, professional treatment is needed."

~Some additional signs I'll add to that list, to watch out for:
*Giving away possessions; "getting things in order"
*Drastic perceived "improvement" in mood and/or focus, with or without reason.
-These signs are generally characteristic of those who have finalized their decision to follow through with their suicide, but these signs are definitely not present with everyone who has reached that same decision. Every experience is different. Trust your gut.

Return to “Mental Health”