THE Bible

General chit chat and discussions here.
All are welcome!
[moondance]

THE Bible

Post by [moondance] »

I am quite interested with spells that encorporate excerpts or readings from the Bible. I could be wrong but to my knowledge this is a Hoodoo tradition? But I am really keen to learn more about this from others with experience in these traditions.

Many thanks xx
[/b]
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

Not a clue. But I would guess that if you had some passages that meant something to you then you could incorporate them into a related spell. There's nothing wrong with that. I just don't know which traditions might do that.
LaFiamma
Banned Member

Re: THE Bible

Post by LaFiamma »

moondance wrote: I could be wrong but to my knowledge this is a Hoodoo tradition?
There are a number of traditions that include readings from the Bible...I'm not particularly familiar with them, and don't know if hoodoo is one of them, just know that they're out there.
[cherokeewind]

Post by [cherokeewind] »

Yes, I have seen that in Pagan writings (at least for the Psalms). There's a classic protection Psalm which is "Psalms 91". It has been used a lot by soldiers. I have heard stories of bullets stopping right where the next page was Psalms 91. I think one of the verses goes "Though a thousand shall fall at your right hand and ten thousand on your left, it will not come near you". I didn't take the time to look it up, but that should be close...
Cherokeewind
[EarthWitch]

Post by [EarthWitch] »

Buckland has a candle magick book that has spells with biblical phrases and psalms incorporated.
The Key of Solomon has passages using the Bible phrases, but I am not sure about that book, because it frightens me in some way.
...not all who wander are lost... (tolkein)

I am the daughter of Earth and Water
and the nursling of the sky-
I pass through the pores of the oceans and shores
I change, but I never die.
-shelley-
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

"The Key of Solomon has passages using the Bible phrases, but I am not sure about that book, because it frightens me in some way."

it tends to have that effect on alot of people. but i dont recall seeing bible passages in them...only holy names and words and such...but in so saying i dont claim to be well learned of the bible.
[moondance]

Post by [moondance] »

I hear what you are saying about being frightened about combining the bible with spells, and I knew that such things existed out there and it seemed to frighten me also.

But here is this thing: I was brought up Catholic, going to church 3 times a week, believing in (guardian) angels & asking them for guidance, doing Novenas to saints etc (ie prayers I guess that seem similar to some candle spells.......ie you may do a novena for perhaps 7 nights which encorporates you lighting a candle at the same time every night, saying more or less the same prayers and on the 7th night you let the candle burn out...then you give thanks to the saints or whomever once your petition / wish is granted....) Now I suppose it got me thinking perhaps that there is a similarity.

Being brought up Catholic I suppose there is something embedded in me that conflicted with my being drawn to the crafts for a big part of my life. Of course I am no longer a practising Catholic but I came across a spell (not a dangerous / negative spell or anything) that basically involved a particular psalm which I tried and felt really really connected to and strangely at peace. It seem to connect my Catholic blood / upbringing together with my pagan followings. And I am seeing very small similarities in the way I was taught to worship as a Catholic and with certain rituals with teh craft. So am trying to get information from others with experience in this as I am really interested. Yes I guess there is a certain element of fear in the terms of witchcraft is supposedly against everything christians preach.....but since realising how similar some of the worshiping and perhaps even some beliefs are.....well who knows......so I am interested to learn more about these sort of workings??? Love to hear from those with experience in this area.

Many thanks
[EarthWitch]

Post by [EarthWitch] »

You are right Sobek and moondance. The thing that frightened me regarding the Key of Solomon is my lack of understanding and that it delt with some demonology, which I am fearful of, again, due to a lack of understanding. I am sure that the majority of it comes from my upbringing (pure old hell fire and brimstone religion and the Devil in Hell is gonna get you ...blah blah, blah). When I do the prelandra clearings I use the white light of the Christ (which is not Jesus...but maybe it is) in the workings. I do like the phrasings and spellwork of Bucklands incorporation of the Bible into the candle magick, though. I have always been told that the Catholics are as close to some of the pagan rituals as one can be without being pagan, due to the mystery of the whole thing, the incense, the candles, the ceremony and such.

In the Buckland book for example: the ritual for health uses the 23rd psalm- protection from evil uses the 93 psalm.
...not all who wander are lost... (tolkein)

I am the daughter of Earth and Water
and the nursling of the sky-
I pass through the pores of the oceans and shores
I change, but I never die.
-shelley-

Return to “For Everyone”