Yes
78%
No
22%

Total votes: 9

Dancing_Moon_Child

Do you tell people that you're pagan?

Post by Dancing_Moon_Child »

Do you reveal to people that you are a Pagan? If so, what are their reactions? If not, why not?
If you want to feel rich, just count all the things you have that money can't buy.
Anon

"A wee child toddling in a wonder world, I prefer to their dogma my excursions into
the natural gardens where the voice of the Great Spirit is heard in the twittering of
birds, the rippling of mighty waters, and the sweet breathing of flowers. If this is
Paganism, then at present, at least, I am a Pagan."
Zitkala-Sa (Sioux)
Frank N Sense

Post by Frank N Sense »

The answer is yes for me with a few exceptions. I told my parents and aunts that I was a witch and not Christian. I was asked not to tell my grandparents because the shock might kill them, and my aunts didn't want me talking about my practices to their children. So I respect my familys wishes on those points. But out in public I don't censor myself, and I don't throw it in people's faces either. I just don't see a point in "hiding" the fact I'm looking at herbs, magical books, or supplies. If I'm asked why I want a particular item I usually tell them for a spell I'm casting. When I'm at work if someone asks me what I'm doing, and if I'm doing "witchwork" as I call it I usually say I have some spell work to do. I've gotten many weird looks, but I hope I've dispelled many stupid myths about witches too. I usually use humor to "bridge the gap" of understanding between witchcraft and other faiths.
Whimsical

Post by Whimsical »

My family is very big on Christianity.I have cousins who are missionaries
helping build churches and houses in Mexico. They all pretend to be good to thy neighbor on the outside but get them behind closed doors and they are the biggest crap talkers you'll ever find.Anyway..we aren't close.I hardly ever see any of my family.I wear my pentacle with pride and I have a tatto of a triquetra on the small of my back.But they've never asked and i've never cared to share.The last thing I need is to defend myself to them.My husband does know.In the begining he didn't quite understand but after I gave him some material to read he thought it was pretty great that I was pursuing something I belived so highly in.He is non practicing of any religion. I also have a friend who comes over to my house and see's the candle's & herbs & various witchcraft and wiccan materials....but she has never asked anything about it. So I guess I would say yes I practice openly...obviously I have no reason to hide...nobody seems to care much lol.

Whim
moonlit

Post by moonlit »

I Do not practice openly because I CANT!! well I could but nothing good would come of it. My parents live right next door and I live with my grandmother.. My parents are HUGE Fundemental Christians and think that stuff like this is Horrible, evil , and from Satan. They would totally just... OMG I dont even want to think about it. Only a few people know.
lol I was in Pizza hut with my cousin and friend and we quietly started talking about it (wicca) and I mean we were wispering and I stoped and looked around and EVERYONE in pizza hut was listening to us and looking at us like.. OMG what the hell?? And we were WISPERING!! I mean hello, PRIVATE conversation here! How rude! Another time I was in Wal-Mart getting some herbs and My cousin was like "didn't we need this herb for that one spell?" and Im like "yeah let's get it" and like the whole isle of people were looking at us! grrrrr.
So yea because of my parents and where I live I have to keep it a secret.
**Nothing is set in stone**
Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Post by Starwitch »

I would say yes for the most part, but I don't go around proclaiming it or anything. I don't talk to many people, so it's not a subject that gets brought up. The only person I have ever tried to hide it from is my mom, who is a sweet Christian lady and I would never do anything to upset her intentionally. :)

Marie*

Post by Marie* »

I have told very few people. But if I were to be right out asked, I wouldn't lie. I don't hide it I just don't talk about it. I don't feel the need to go "spreading the word" around. But when I told my mom like forever ago, she was fine with it, except now, she tends to point out churches and suggest I go there. I just look at her and don't say a word. I mean if I were home and she would want me to go to church with her, I would. Might be a little hung over or maybe still drunk, but I would go because she asked me to. Saturday nights are my going out nights (when I go out I guess). Then I told my best friend and she was all " You're crazy! What would you be into that for!!" Hey some people you just can't ge to open their mind. Whatever, we don't talk about it, she just knows.

Marie
LilBubbler

Post by LilBubbler »

I have told about 3 of my best friends, but that is it. I am strictly drawing the line there. I don't even want to think about what could happen if that got out in school. All of my friends and family are really big christians, and school is the #1 place for rumors and gossip. Plus, thats just something that not many people need to know about.
Demi

Post by Demi »

I cannot put yes, or no on that poll question.

I do openly practice my craft in some cases, and in some, do not. I am very secretive when it comes to my family, but as far as my friends (or strangers my age) if they ask me, I tell them.

I guess I could go either way. Why should I hide my religion from someone when it is not bad? The only reason I hide it from my family is because my mother could destroy all my plants, and my sweet baptist grandmother would keel over dead if she found out I was a witch. I love her too much for that.
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

I know I am a day late but oh well Yes I am open with my craft but I am not in your face.
darkestlight*

not open

Post by darkestlight* »

Unfortunatly i cannot be open with my practicing witchcraft do to the fact that my family would freak! and so would most my friends, i really wish i could be open about i but the second i told anyone they'd probably lock me up for being crazy or send me to a preacher to be cleansed of my devil-worshopping ways, becuas esadly thats what they think all witchcraft is about.
Dancing_Moon_Child

Post by Dancing_Moon_Child »

Thanks for all the replys.
I openly practise. At my age I really could care less what people think or what they say. I've learned to be comfortable in "my skin". My being a student of Shamanic studies is a very confusing concept to most people. They seem to regard me as almost a student priestess. Because so many world religions consider Shaman to be Holy Persons, getting the idea across that I only hope to become a practitioner is hard for most people to grasp.
I had a conversation today with a Shamanic Practitioner who told me that there are so many false Shaman out there that eventually people might not take me seriously. I can only hope to take myself seriously. I'm not sure I want to be a Shaman. I don't think I'm worthy enough to be one. I would like to have some of the knowledge they have tho and definitely some of the insight. My journeying starts soon. I've talked to people who have witnessed their own death in their journeys. Can I talk about this with others? I don't know, but if they ask me I will.
Peace and love,
Dancing Moon Child
If you want to feel rich, just count all the things you have that money can't buy.
Anon

"A wee child toddling in a wonder world, I prefer to their dogma my excursions into
the natural gardens where the voice of the Great Spirit is heard in the twittering of
birds, the rippling of mighty waters, and the sweet breathing of flowers. If this is
Paganism, then at present, at least, I am a Pagan."
Zitkala-Sa (Sioux)
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

A lot of people think that I am Catholic because I pray to the Saints ( for they are just other names for the aspects I pray to). I love being a witch and others just have to love me for me. My mom won't even say the word witch around me but she knows that I don't belive in Satan and she says " Well at least you are not into killing babies". If others want a witch hunt they can have it. I have been known to say things to freak people out. If your friends hate you for being a witch well they can shove it.
Frank N Sense

Post by Frank N Sense »

Hey Dancing Moon Child I just want to say good luck with your journey. Hope you enjoy the time spent on the path and that much wisdom is gained from your upcoming journey. :D
GenevieveDawn

Post by GenevieveDawn »

Sorry I'm so late at replying on this. I also have a few people who know, but I don't go out proclaiming it either. My best friend knows, a cousin of mine knows, the people at the store where I get my supplies know (but they also practice) and I told one of my friends at work just this week. I did that for you Frank since you said the people you work with know. I'm being completely serious - I was thinking of what you have said when I told them. Oddly enough they were EXTREMELY interested in learning about it and want me to tell them more!!! My best friend BRIEFLY thought about trying, but she got freaked out. Now she just asks me "so ya doing any more spells lately?". Last but not least, the "man in my life" knows, but of course the spell I did to find him requested someone who either practiced themselves or at would least be open to me doing it.
...magic consists of removing the limitations from what we think are the earthly and spiritual laws that bind or compel us. We can be anything because we are ALL. - Mary Greer

Return to “For Everyone”