Food for thought!

General chit chat and discussions here.
All are welcome!
Sakura Blossom

Food for thought!

Post by Sakura Blossom »

So, let me start off by saying that I am by no means saying this is going to be 100% true every single time, I'm just sharing my thoughts. (:

I've heard a lot of people before, saying that they would never share that they were Pagan/Wiccan/etc. with someone who was close minded or incredibly "Christian" because they wouldn't ever accept them or understand.

I used to be of the same point of view, until recently.

A little about my background, is that I came from a pagan family but my town was incredibly Christian and close-minded about everything. Anytime something different came up, everyone backed away and ran like it was the plague. Or they would make fun of you.

Now, coming from a psychology stand point... Of course if you're in a group of people, and one person feels one way, a majority of the time others are going to act as if they feel the same way (even if they might not) because others are showing that they are strongly opinionated on the subject matter and so the others feel as though they should follow. Again, this is NOT always the case but I'm explaining my high school and town.

The reason I have now changed my mind, is because a situation occurred over the summer that really opened my eyes.

During high school, I was acquaintances with someone who was your 'typical' Christian. She asked to leave during evolution discussions in science, swore she'd never get pregnant or have sex before marriage, and would always try to make others who had different views feel ostracized. Her father is very much this way as well. Everyone knew this about her, and never thought this would change.

Well, she ended up getting pregnant before marriage and when I went to visit her baby for the first time, something strange happened.

She told me (and I'm not sure now how the subject came up) that she didn't know what to believe anymore. She didn't believe in a God and she was scared because she didn't know what there was out there. She was having existential crises (and for those of you who don't know what that is, this is wondering what your purpose is, is there a God?, etc.).

I was in shock. I seriously was. All this time, I had thought she wouldn't ever grow out of these views and she was as dedicated to these beliefs as you could possibly get. But here she was, actually carrying on a conversation with me, about MY beliefs. It was because of her, I NEVER shared that I was pagan/Wiccan because I was scared of being even more of an outcast than I was. But I was able to actually SHARE and she was INTERESTED.

I just had to share this, because people can surprise you. (: You never know who is going to understand and accept you - It could very well be the last person you'd expect! Try to keep an open mind as well, because allowing yourself to think that someone wouldn't understand you could possibly be limiting those who actually would!

Again, these are just my personal thoughts, but I thought I'd share. (:
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
Moonfire

Re: Food for thought!

Post by Moonfire »

This is a very interesting thing to consider, Sakura! Thank you for sharing this! :mrgreen:
shatteredsouls

Re: Food for thought!

Post by shatteredsouls »

Though this is posted a year ago, I do agree people shy away when they are the minority. Nobody knows what will happen in the future. Of course sometimes we are afraid of being judged so we don't speak up but we may get surprises from the least expected people.

Thank you for sharing, Sakura.

Return to “For Everyone”