Death of a squirrel

General chit chat and discussions here.
All are welcome!
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Death of a squirrel

Post by Xiao Rong »

It's such a little thing but it kind of feels like a big hole in my gut. Usually I take the bus home, but today I had to run some errands and I wound up walking home. On the way, I saw a squirrel in my path on the sidewalk - I love squirrels, so I always take the time to watch them. I could tell that it was wary of me approaching, but I didn't slow down my pace, because I was just walking home, and it's my sidewalk too ... but it's rush hour in my tiny little town, and the street I'm walking on is a main thoroughfare, so in order to keep its distance from me, it darted into oncoming traffic, and a second before it happens, I knew what was going to happen - I could even hear it ... and it struggled for a while before it finally succumbed to its injuries, and I just kind of watched in horror. The traffic was busy so I couldn't even get to its body to, I don't know, get it off the road or bury it or something. I feel really awful for the part I played in its death, however unwitting ... So many little events that could have played out differently and it wouldn't have died the way it did, this evening, on that sidewalk - I could have not run errands today, I could have waited for the bus, I could have walked slower ...

I don't really know how to feel, but I guess it really affected me. I didn't know you well, little squirrel, and I'm so sorry you had to die today, in large part because of our paths crossing. You are with the Goddess now, and I hope you are at peace.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Kassandra

Re: Death of a squirrel

Post by Kassandra »

Wasn't your fault, Xiao. I hear your pain, though. His little soul probably feels your positive regards and concern, and is, as you said, with the Goddess now, very much at peace. Maybe leave him a little memorial/offering on the side of the road there, a small candle and a couple flowers...I think you'll feel better.

Altairtigris

Post by Altairtigris »

I agree with Kassandra. It wasn't your fault.

Blessed be
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Thank you both. I know (rationally) that I didn't kill the squirrel but I still feel pretty guilty. I did light a candle for him and say a few words, but I really like the idea of the offerings for him, Kassandra - I'll be doing that soon.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Xiao, that really sucks, I'm so sorry. Having also been the inadvertent cause of more than one critters demise, I can completely relate to the guilt that goes along with it. I don't recover well from it either, not sure anyone with a conscious could. Vehicles, I would imagine, are the first and foremost cause of accidental animal death. We hope they won't run in the street, but they do. Squirrels seem to be especially at risk, perhaps because of their greater numbers, and their skidish nature. On any given day I may pass as many as 3 or 4, dead, on the way to work. :( I scream at them when it appears as though they are about to dart out in the street, and I slow way down when one can't figure out which way to go, (that is the scariest because other cars don't really seem to catch what's going on or maybe they don't care)... Fellow squirrel lover here :wink: ... we have 4 that come to the door daily to demand their peanuts!...they're offspring of one that used to let us pet her.... take heart my dear, I empathize with you.
Ed Fitch has a book called Rites from the Crystal Well, with a dead animal release visualization. I found this link that speaks about it briefly... hope this helps some...and I like the Idea of a small shrine or some flowers too,
http://www.themystica.com/mystica/artic ... lease.html
may you heart heal soon, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I think it speaks well that people care about these small lives.

Frosty
Daughter of Sekhmet
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Thanks, Firebird, for sharing - I really liked the ritual ... Like you said, Snowcat, even the little lives matter! I don't know - maybe it's this time of year when they're super busy getting ready for the winter, when they're in extra danger ...
Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Post by Starwitch »

I'm sorry that happened to you and him, Xiao. I accidentally killed a squirrel once too, and it really bothered me a lot. He was in the road, and he darted out of the way as I was driving towards him. I slammed on my brakes and watched him run off the road, but at the last second, he switched direction and ran under my car. I hit him. It was horrible. I screamed and I think I even cried. That was years ago. I'm very careful about squirrels in the road now and I tell everyone else (if we see one) how they can change direction at the last second, so make sure they are REALLY completely off the road and not simply heading in a safe direction, before you speed up again. They don't seem to be the brightest animals, as far as traffic is concerned. Frankly, you'd think you'd see more of them in the road. Maybe they're smarter than I thought.

Return to “For Everyone”