Guidance and wisdom in choosing my path

General chit chat and discussions here.
All are welcome!
GreenArcher

Guidance and wisdom in choosing my path

Post by GreenArcher »

I read the article above on what is a pagan, and I'd like help in choosing my path. I believe in god and in Jesus but I don't believe that's all there is. I've always believed that everything around us has a soul and I love and respect nature. I don't feel like I fit in with mainstream Christianity.

My mom put me my senior year in a Christian school and we had a trip to Costa Rica. My step dad had told us not take anything from the water or the beach because it was bad luck. I told my teacher this and she said well you know Christians don't believe in luck. Everything's gods work. Another time my uncle said something along the lines of our dog not having a soul and that just felt wrong. Looking into my dogs eyes filled with hope and personality, how could he not have a soul? The statement kind of offended me.

I just would like some council and guidance in finding the religion that best suits me. I'm sure most of you know how uncomfortable it is to be preached or told things you don't believe, agree with, or have a different view on.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Guidance and wisdom in choosing my path

Post by Xiao Rong »

Well, if you're looking into Paganism, there are many folks on this forum who are very knowledgeable. Paganism and witchcraft are some very large umbrellas for room with a lot of different beliefs and practices, so I'm sure you'll find lots of interesting and illuminating things just by browsing around this website.

I will say that what you said just now - about how your experiences did not mesh with various Christian dogmas - is fairly common among our community. Rather than letting someone just hand down "truth" and incontrovertible knowledge for us, nearly all Pagans are more drawn to a hands-on approach to spirituality, using our intuition and our direct experience as a guide to finding the Divine in the world. It sounds like you're already well on your way to that - like I said before, Paganism has a lot of room for a lot of different beliefs, and there's a lot of stuff out there, but if you just do some digging and reading, I'm sure you will find your way just fine ; )
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
GreenArcher

Post by GreenArcher »

I know there's so many to chose from. I want to explore paganism and there's so much out there. I'd like to know where to start in choosing the right branch though.
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

In my experience, a lot of people who jump to "choosing" a path very early on their path end up changing it multiple times over the following years anyway. You may want to consider not labeling yourself as anything and just start to read up on as many different things as pique your interest and go from there. Chances are something will stand out to you that will draw your interest further in one or two particular directions and that will lead you to where you ought to go. :)
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

In my opinion? Just start reading, and take notes on what makes sense to you and what doesn't. "Finding your path", like Vesca said, is not a straight and narrow process with clear-cut answers, but often a rather crooked one with lots of false starts and dead ends. And a process you will likely revisit constantly.

Here's a link to a number of free online books, including some of the "standard" introductory authors, such as Buckland and Cunningham. DPhoenix has also curated quite a collection of older, public domain books that might be of interest to you.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
GreenArcher

Post by GreenArcher »

Thanks for your help. I don't jump into things or label myself something I know I'm not. I love knowledge and learning. So of course I'll do much research before I can say or label myself inconclusively. ^^
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

Maybe you could start out with books that discuss a variety of the world's religions, such as "The Complete Idiot's Guide to World Religions." While you'll only get a small taste of what these religions have to offer, you'll have a good starting point and won't be too overwhelmed. Take notes on what sounds like it meshes with your spiritual beliefs, then follow up on those leads in books that cover the religions that share those beliefs more in depth.

Best wishes,
Echo
GreenArcher

Post by GreenArcher »

Alright, I have already learned a lot here already from reading some of the posts. I do believe in an ultimate god and that everything else is under him such as spirits, angels, and deities. I'll study things more fully before I can mesh things up.

Return to “For Everyone”