Being overrun by fleas

General chit chat and discussions here.
All are welcome!
Aspiria

Being overrun by fleas

Post by Aspiria »

I've had fleas for a few weeks. At first not bad (due to a momma kitty with newborns I brought in) and a few days ago I sprinkles salt where I could. Normally this works great. However I think because only two of my rooms have carpet, the rest are hardwood, an I can't put salt on hardwood since it leaves tiny dots (which is not my decorating motif) anyways I think that's why it didn't work. It seems as if the last two days there was a population explosion. No one can walk in the house, let alone my room(where the babies were) without attracting a few dozen(literally) biting monsters. The baby (2yrs) was screaming this morning and covered in at least 40. Idk what to do. I have pets and children and so I'm not too find of bombing my house. Help! Please!
-Dark-Moon-

Re: Being overrun by fleas

Post by -Dark-Moon- »

I'd bomb the house if my child was covered in fleas. Stay overnight at a friends house and then clean it thoroughly before you reintroduce the babies/animals. Treat the momma cat but the babies may be too little to treat just yet. You may need to ring a vet for advice about treating the mother.

Hope you get rid of those suckers soon !
I am that which is attained at the end of desire
DPhoenix

Post by DPhoenix »

When I lived in the city, the apartment I was in had bedbugs due to a neighbor buying a used mattress. The landlord wouldn't do anything about it and every time I would get rid of them on my side, the ones on my neighbor's side would overpopulate and move back in a few weeks later.

At first I used bug bombs & sprays but had pets and small children in the house (I was at my wits end and didn't know what to do). So then I did some research and found Diatomaceous earth. It's great because it kills just about ALL bugs (including fleas :wink2: ).

You'll want to sprinkle it all over the house so buy an appropriate amount. You'll want to leave it there for about 3-4 hours before you vacuum it up. Treat your pets with an anti flea bath before hand because some will jump off and try to get away, you'll be able to get the escapees when you sprinkle the floor. You'll want to do the whole house & pets a few times so that you get the eggs as they hatch but before they can reproduce more eggs. The fine powder absorbs lipids from the waxy outer layer of insects' exoskeletons, causing them to dehydrate.

This is the cheapest place to get it: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid= ... &_from=R40

You want to make sure that it's food grade so if the pets or baby accidentally swallow some it won't hurt them.

Good luck & Goddess Bless! <3
Burn to ash we must
Purification by fire
To rise again new -Wanna be friends on face book? Add me Dorothy Phoenix
Rune

Post by Rune »

Something else I would suggest is if your house does not sit on a slab treat underneath the house as well. As long as it stays fairly dry under there you can use boric acid (it's a white powder also). It will also kill most bugs plus it has a residual of like 90 days if I remember right from my pest control days lol. Fleas are probably the hardest things to get rid of and it will be a long hard battle unfortunately. I wish you the best of luck!

Rune
MsMollimizz

Post by MsMollimizz »

Rune,
Mix a cup of apple cider vinegar in a gallon of water...
put some in a spray bottle and spray the total carpeted
area. Not just over lightly, give it a good dose and that
should take care of eggs also !
Gentle Light
MsMollimizz
Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge." Steven Hawkings

Return to “For Everyone”