PhD

General chit chat and discussions here.
All are welcome!
reikihealer83

PhD

Post by reikihealer83 »

Hey all,

So I am thinking about going back to school in the next year or so for my PhD. I did really well on my MBA but I really love medevial history and literature too. I am not sure which direction to take. I got an English Degree as an Undergrad (3.1 if I remember correctly was my GPA) and I got a 3.7 GPA with my MBA classes so I am not sure. I love medevial/renissance sp? history too but dates escape me. Any thoughts from my board buddies? I know it is basically my decision but I always welcome the thoughts of others. Oh, I do have about 55k in debt right now so I am thinking paying some of that first might be a good option. Just some thoughts. Thanks guys!
JBRaven
Banned Member

Re: PhD

Post by JBRaven »

I would suggest sticking with your Phd. What type of job are you trying to get? What is open in the work place for both degrees? Happiness will come along with sucess. You can always do history independently.
reikihealer83

Post by reikihealer83 »

JBRaven wrote:I would suggest sticking with your Phd. What type of job are you trying to get? What is open in the work place for both degrees? Happiness will come along with sucess. You can always do history independently.
Hi JBRaven,

My ultimate goal is to teach full time at the college level. You were suggesting I stick with Business or English right? I think you are right. I love history but I feel like that would make my resume so unfocused and that would look bad to a college institution looking to hire me. Thank you for your sage advice. Now it comes to the financial etc and the fact that PhD programs usually require a residency which means moving either on my own or back to the folks house. Who knows.
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

In the long run, I think your English/Business will allow you a better life.
Traumwandlerin

Post by Traumwandlerin »

What experience have you in eaching at college level? Or teaching in general? I would go to the source and ask people who already are working in that area how the chances are to get a job there, how their life feel, if they regret their way, what one could do to enhance their chances of getting such a job. And if you haven't teached yet, you should do this first for at least a few months, to know what this means.
reikihealer83

Post by reikihealer83 »

Traumwandlerin wrote:What experience have you in eaching at college level? Or teaching in general? I would go to the source and ask people who already are working in that area how the chances are to get a job there, how their life feel, if they regret their way, what one could do to enhance their chances of getting such a job. And if you haven't teached yet, you should do this first for at least a few months, to know what this means.
While I was working on my BA degree I also did Education classes so I have the experience teaching. I also was a Teacher's Assistant in college classes a few times and I did have to teach some classes at times so I do have some expereince. I can work as a teacher with my Master's Degree no issue but working full time as a teacher in many state colleges require a PhD or at least for you to start getting it while working as an adjunct professor. Thank you for your wonderful thoughts though :)
Traumwandlerin

Post by Traumwandlerin »

Hehe :) Then you probably know why I said this ^^ Teaching is really a hard job and not as much fun as many people think. It would be such a shame to take such troubles and then ending up in a job you've imagined otherwise.

So you could work part-time as teacher and writing part-time your PhD? This would be a great solution, wouldn't it? I don't know how this jobs will be paid. In Germany almost noone gets paid for making his PhD. I get paid for doing so, but also get only 50% of the money from this. This wouldn't suffice for living, at least not leaving in my own appartment and having a child with me. But I've got a part-time-job at the place where I write it. In research and teaching and the topic is quite similiar to what I'm writing about, so I've got luck.

Do you have any idea about a topic? You've mentioned literature and history.
reikihealer83

Post by reikihealer83 »

The topic still is up for debate. I have a great background in medevial (sp?) literature and also business. History is not an option so it is between business and the literature topics. If I did business I would do something in group dymanics and management if it was the literature I would do something with how magick permeates that literature so much both on the basic level and on a deeper level when it is not even mentioned.
Traumwandlerin

Post by Traumwandlerin »

Do you already have a dissertation adviser? (Hope this is the right term). If not, maybe look for one first, the topic will need to be discussed with your adviser anyway, so no need in getting this fixed if you have to change it later on.
reikihealer83

Post by reikihealer83 »

Traumwandlerin wrote:Do you already have a dissertation adviser? (Hope this is the right term). If not, maybe look for one first, the topic will need to be discussed with your adviser anyway, so no need in getting this fixed if you have to change it later on.
I do not have an advisor as I have decided to put this part on hold. I have actually decided on something that needs to happen first and that is moving back home by where my parents are. Where I am there are not enough opportunities for growth and advancement and I am not happy where I am currently living anymore. My parents are behind me 100 percent and I am working on getting a better job out by where they are. I have some great contacts out that way and my heart is telling me to go home and be by my family and where the opportunities are. The job market is slowly recovering in the state and if I have to commute a bit I can do that. My parents are even letting me move back in with them for a while so I can be closer to my family and eventually get a place out by where they are. :)
Traumwandlerin

Post by Traumwandlerin »

Sounds nice :) It's great if this will work out for you :)

Return to “For Everyone”