Plants for indoors?

Love to garden? Me too! Garden talk and photos goes here: Flower gardens, vegetable gardens, organic gardening, natural pest control, houseplants, more.
Balor's Eye

Plants for indoors?

Post by Balor's Eye »

What are some plants that are really good as indoor plants? I know the African Violet is one and Cactus but is there anything else?
_Balor.
Add this myspace for everyone interested in Witchcraft!
Its new and made by me! An amateur :]
[url]http://www.myspace.com/magickalgarden[/url]

Better to light a candle than
curse the darkness.
Moon_Stone

Post by Moon_Stone »

The rhododendron and ivy are also great indoor plants. Some advice on the african violet too- they love western-light (or was it eastern...? check the food box, it'll tell you) and they hate having their leaves get wet. (it actually kills them.) Aloe is another great indoor plant, but be careful not to over-water them or they can mold. Um, also the bromelaide (I might be mis-spelling that one)- they're a flowering indoor plant, but the 'mother' plant dies after a few years (it's actually supposed to)-- but by replanting its "babies" you can keep it going forever. :wink:

I have another one at home that is extremely social- it grows into everything else around it so it can "touch leaves" -I don't know exactly what it is, but I'll take a photo and post it one of these days so someone can hopefully identify it for us. It's a very happy houseplant. :28:

~BB~
star3000

Post by star3000 »

Peace lilies grow indoors:) I had one two years ago but I overwatered it so the roots rotted and it died:) But I just got another one last september and it's still going:) I read though that they prefer temperatures above 60F/15C. So I don't know how it will cope in the winter here though:)
whatever

indoor plants

Post by whatever »

The easiest indoor plant to start off with would be the aloe vera. I have a wide variety of rubber plants that grow very easily indoors as well. hanging plants like pathos do really well by a window, also christmas castus and peace lillies. I also have an arabian coffee bean plant that I have had for 3 years in my kitchen. Tropical plants do well indoors as well as long as you mist them with water about once a week. the sweet hibiscus gets very big and has lovely flowers, I have 3 indoors. I love indoor plants my house of full of them. [/code]
Peregrine

Post by Peregrine »

At the garden shops, usually they are marked for how much light they need. If it says low light, they should do well indoors.

If you like larger plants, I would recommend the Dracaena cane plant. I used to keep one of these on the corner of the porch at an apartment I used to live in, because sunlight rarely, if ever, hit that area. I used to get compliments from some neighbors who wondered where I got "the cute little dwarf palm tree." One neighbor recognized it on the spot and jokingly referred to it as "one step up from a silk plant."

Another, if you like vines hanging out from hanging pots, would be philodendron vines. I used to grow these as well on my porch. They grew wild under the oak trees and azalea shrubs there. Another "silk plant" that gave me oxygen on my porch, based on my experience with it.
It's like walking down an empty street, listening to your own footsteps. But all you have to do is knock on any door and say, "If you'll let me in, I'll live the way you want me to live. And I'll think the way you want me to think." And all the blinds will go up, and all the doors will open, and you'll never feel lonely. Ever again.

~Henry Drummond, "Inherit the Wind" (1960)
hcfp

Post by hcfp »

In one site that I've found, here are the top 10 indoor plants:

1. Angel Ivy Ring Topiary
2. Braided Ficus Tree
3. Cactus Combo Bonsai
4. Chamaedorea Palm
5. Chinese Evergreen
6. Miniature Herb Standard Topiaries
7. Moth Orchid, Novelty Stripes
8. Ponytail Palm
9. Tropical Combo Bonsai
10. Amaryllis, 'Yellow Goddess'

Not quite sure if it's available in your place.
LitZer

Post by LitZer »

The only plant that is inside in my house is fake plants or silk plants. All my real and beautiful plants are outside and in my garden. Those silk plants really are beautiful there are really perfect decorations. Artificial Trees
Sallydreams

Post by Sallydreams »

I want an aloe vera plant really badly, but don't they need tons of sunlight?
Radiance

Post by Radiance »

Sallydreams wrote:I want an aloe vera plant really badly, but don't they need tons of sunlight?
I have one in my porch, it sits on a shelf near the door to the kitchen and not directly in a window. However, my porch has windows on three sides the biggest one on the south.

Brightest blessings
Radiance
Kassandra

Indoor plant light

Post by Kassandra »

You could always use an indoor lighting system, so you're not so limited in the choice of plants:

I Googled "indoor plant light" and got a bunch of sites from which they could be ordered, but they're probably just as easily available at your local hardware store.

Guess there soon will be an upsurge of orders for these from California residents, now that marijuana is nearly legal here. lol!

maggie-may

Post by maggie-may »

I have an Afrian Violet, a Rubber plant, a Swiss cheese plant and a couple of others that I don't know the names of! I have had two Aloe Vera plants and my cats killed them both, I would love another and may try and get one this summer!
Radiance

Post by Radiance »

Plants that I have growing inside right now include spider plants, Ivy, Jade plants, Defenbachia, Oleander, Umbrella Tree, Hibiscus, Christmas cactus, Easter Lilly, Orange Trees, Aloe Vera, Bird of Paradise, Tea Tree, Hoya and a few succulents that I don't remember the names of. The easiest are spider plants and ivy, although succulents are also easy enough. The hibiscus probably requires the most attention of all my plants. Many herbs are easy to grow in a sunny window including but not limited too basil, thyme, marjoram, and lemon balm. Another that I've heard is easy but have no experience with is Mother-in-law's tongue aka snake plant.
Love_For_All

Post by Love_For_All »

My aunt has these lovely miniature cacti on her windowsill, and what's really great about them is that they don't spit leaves or petals like other plants.

Parsley, basil, and cilantro (if you can stand the smell of it which I can't) are also really good. Do you have a porch?
Love_For_All

Post by Love_For_All »

Radiance wrote:Plants that I have growing inside right now include spider plants, Ivy, Jade plants, Defenbachia, Oleander, Umbrella Tree, Hibiscus, Christmas cactus, Easter Lilly, Orange Trees, Aloe Vera, Bird of Paradise, Tea Tree, Hoya and a few succulents that I don't remember the names of. The easiest are spider plants and ivy, although succulents are also easy enough. The hibiscus probably requires the most attention of all my plants. Many herbs are easy to grow in a sunny window including but not limited too basil, thyme, marjoram, and lemon balm. Another that I've heard is easy but have no experience with is Mother-in-law's tongue aka snake plant.
The only thing I'd be wary about is the oleander, but you can get around that by washing your hands every time you touch it.
Fie

Post by Fie »

I have a ponytail palm bonsai in my house that I am in love with cause it thrives off very little water and only moderate sun. I always recommend kalanchoe because of my own great experiences with keeping them as a indoor plant. Cactus is also an option as others have mentioned. Jade plants do exceptionally well indoors, I remember when I was little my parents had a jade that grew to be about 3 meters in height! It had to curve under the ceiling cause it was so big! And if your looking for something interesting, carnivorous plants are very pretty and unique but they also lower the fly population in your home!! x)

Good luck!
[i][color=spirit]It may be that no life is found,
Which only to one engine bound
Falls off, but cycles always round.
ALFRED TENNYSON, The Two Voices[/i][/color]

Can you hear the coyotes yipping?
They are having a good time.
Teasing the shadows.

[url=http://dragcave.net/user/Fie-kun][img]http://incubators.dragcave.net/incubator_Fie-kun.png[/img][/url]

Return to “Gardening”