Strange Sleep Experiences

Discussion about out-of-body experiences (astral travel), lucid dreaming, and other sleep related phenomenon such as night terrors and sleep paralysis.
Banjo

Strange Sleep Experiences

Post by Banjo »

For quite a few years, I have been having terrifying lucid dreams, although I'm not sure I can call them lucid because I can't control what happens. I just realize I'm dreaming, panic, and try desperately to wake myself up. I think what terrifies me is that I realize I am in a dream where all of the most horrifying things (improbable in real life) are completely possible.

Anyway, I shake my head desperately to wake myself up (it always seems like a viable strategy at the time :)), and I think I have woken, because I am in my bed. But sometimes I can't move at all, or I get out of bed to find that something about my house is slightly different: for a while, my signal that I hadn't made it out of the dream was a spilled bowl of cereal by my bedroom door; then, it was my mother, standing mute and petrified in the kitchen.

Two of the most intense dreams of this type involve me waking up in my bed, however, I wasn’t really awake. In my first dream, a withered, disembodied hand reached up from the floor and grabbed my arm, and I could feel the pain of its nails digging into me.
In another dream, I end up in the basement of a theater with a lot of strangers, and we realize we are all going to die because there is a fire on the first floor and we are trapped. I grab a girl’s hand, so we can comfort each other, then I realize that I am in a dream. I “wake up” in my bed, but I am still holding the girl’s hand. I can’t see it, but Ifeel her skin and its warmth against my own and I feel the desperation in her grasp. I felt annoyed that she had followed me out of the dream, yet guilty for leaving her to die as I pulled my hand away.

Sorry about the length of this post; I understand that one’s own dreams are never are interesting to other people, but these are such vivid experiences for me (especially the last one) that I wanted to share, see if anyone has had similar experiences, and find out what everyone’s take is.

What is most interesting to me is how vividly the senses of touch and pain come through, and how fervently I have to fight to get out of this in between state where I am almost awake and almost “home” but not quite.

Any thoughts, explanations, or similar stories to share?
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

Well.... First off, don't assume that your dreams aren't interesting to other people. After all, we have TWO topics about various kinds of dreams, and, in my experience, the metaphysically inclined are more interested in dreams in general anyway.

Those are interesting dreams. To me it sounds like there are some really powerful subconscious stuff that you are ignoring, that someone either in your subconscious or on the spirit plane REALLY wants you to take into the waking world with you. Something that is scary either to that being or to your subconscious. Are there things in your past that you'd rather not remember? Do you have missing time or misplaced memories? Are there family secrets that are being hid away? Has a family member or a close friend died lately?

There's a lot I don't know, so I can only speculate. You don't have to tell me what these things are, but let me know what in general it might be, and I could help you further.

Oh, and I'm the queen of long posts... and they gave me a Mod position. So they won't hate you for long posts. :P
Banjo

Post by Banjo »

Thanks for the reassurance. I'm an over-cautious newbie; I don't want to annoy anyone with my presence. :)

That is certainly food for thought. For some reason I hadn't even thought of what the "subconscious" implications of these dreams might be, which in retrospect seems really counterintuitive, as I'm fairly interested in the science and psychology of dreams.
I did have a fairly tough childhood and adolescence, although I try not to use my past family situation to define who I've become or to excuse any "issues" I might have.
It's interesting that you should mention repressed memories, as I have been remembering a lot of things...never dramatic flashbacks, but something more akin to "oh yeah...I forgot that happened." I'm not sure I have the clearest memory of chunks of my childhood, but I'm not sure how much of early childhood it is "normal" to remember.

...so I realize that everything I'm typing completely supports your hypothesis as far as hands chasing me into the waking world.
Could that be the same reason I'm trapped in these circular lucid dreams? I think I've woken up realize I haven't, then get terrified and try to wake myself up. Often nothing else happens, but the cycle can go on multiple times, to the point where when I finally do wake up for real I don't want to go back to sleep because I'm afraid I'll be trapped again.

Thanks for the guidance...it’s entirely possibly that I had some sort of epiphany about my subconscious while typing this post.
Blazewind

Post by Blazewind »

jcrowfoot wrote:Well.... First off, don't assume that your dreams aren't interesting to other people. After all, we have TWO topics about various kinds of dreams, and, in my experience, the metaphysically inclined are more interested in dreams in general anyway.
I agree with jcrowfoot completely. Never assue we are not going to be interestied in other people's dreams. For me personally, thouhg I'm sure others will agree; if I had no interest in the dreams of other people, I would simply not look at the dream related boards on this forum. Feel free to write your dreams on here.
Anyways... in regaurd to thast dream about the girl, and the hand, I think it's like this: the hand, and the girl attached to it, represents everything you have ever tried to do in your childhood, and could not ever do... everything you ever tried to protect and could not... everyone you loved and lost, and wish you could have held onto. In the dream, you woke up and still held onto, it, meaning you have carried all this with you all this time. You were annoyed, you said, that the girl fallowed you out of the dream... meaning you are annoyed that all these things you had hoped you had left behind in your life, have not bbeen forgotten after all.
I'm really no expert on htis,but that's my best interpretation of that dream.
Blazewind

The only truely stupid question is the one that no one had the nerve to ask.

Return to “OBEs, Astral Travel, Lucid Dreaming”