Anyone every heard of this??

Discussion about out-of-body experiences (astral travel), lucid dreaming, and other sleep related phenomenon such as night terrors and sleep paralysis.
Lillian Zelos

Anyone every heard of this??

Post by Lillian Zelos »

Hi,

Alright here is the deal. A lot of times when i fall to sleep I'll feel absolutely awake and everything feels real..to the point if something happens to my in my dream i physically feel it when i wake up. I've been to many strange places in my dreams and have encountered many disturbing things.
I looked up this occurrence online and shrinks call it hypnogogic hallucinations..which basically means when i fall asleep i have hallucinations that feel real. Thats what modern science thinks but I would like to know what you all think.

Thanks for your time!
Traumwandlerin

Re: Anyone every heard of this??

Post by Traumwandlerin »

I think the same :)
shadowx
Banned Member

Post by shadowx »

I would definitely say it is biological/psychological.

I gather that what you are getting at is that your dreams feel like normal, waking life and that if you get hurt in a dream you might ache, for example, when you wake up?

If so then remember that the brain is what causes everything you experience. If you cut your leg off it isnt the fact that you leg is missing that makes it hurt, it isnt even the fact that the nerves are damaged, it is merely the fact your brain is getting lots of signals saying "Something is wrong here, this nerve is damaged, do something" and the brain is saying "What the hell do *I* do about it? Ah i know, you, YOU THERE! Something is wrong, look at your leg *Send PAIN!!!!*" and you go "Ouch, What the hell? My leg is missing?!?!?!" and call 911. Your brain can do anything. You think your eyes are seeing the screen? Nope. Your eyes are indeed sending signals to the brain, but the brain is an artist. It takes all those signals and paints a picture and then sends it on for visual processing which makes you aware of what it *thinks* it sees. Some people can literally see time. Or every letter of what i typed would be a different colour. This is because the brain is god. If the brain says this word is red then you will see it as red. My point is that if your brain wants to make a realistic dream it can, how do you know you are awake now? If your brain wanted to you would have no way of knowing since the brain invents everything anyway, so a dream is no different. Likewise, if the brain wants you to feel pain, or a sensation when nothing is happening then it can and often does with situations like phantom pains in amputees where a missing hand might hurt or even itch even though it no longer exists.
Lillian Zelos

Post by Lillian Zelos »

I completely and utterly understand that your brain is "god" and can make anything happen..I'm not an idiot. I just wondered if there was anything similar in the realm of magic. After all since we have established that the brain can make us believe anything it could be said that using a pendulum for example isn't actually communication with a spirit but the electromagnetic field your body produces. But yeah just wondered what others think.
Traumwandlerin

Post by Traumwandlerin »

Actually the pendulum doens't move due to your electromagnetic field, but because of subconciouss micromovents of your body. And I say, using a pendulum is not for contact any spirits but only to reach the subconciouss, but that's only my opinion. You can still go on with thinking your subconciouss communicates with spirits and then refers the message to the pendulum. I've just never contacted spirits this way, I prefer more direct methods.

So don't try to explain something that already has a scientific explanation with magic. In my experience there is a huge difference beetween hypnogaogic stages and anything spiritual. I'm hypnagogic almost everynight, I have regularily lucid dreams, I have important dreams, divination dreams, dreams in which I do contact spirits and where I do magic and I have total nonsense dreams. The skill is to distinguish those types ;) Hypnagogic stages may seem really cool and such, but really that's all. They don't have any deeper meaning.

But also hypnagogic stages only occur while falling asleep or waking up. Of course you wake up several times in the night so you can have this stage all the night but normally you won't remember those in the middle of the night. It's not common to have a storyline, that's the difference between a dream. I've also seen places in hypnagogic stages, for me it's just seeing them, nothing more, there can be persons, I can walk along in it, but it's nothing more, nothing happens. That's how I can distinguish it from dreams. It's just watching and appreciating the perfect hallucination (they are quite detailed for me and really beautiful most of the time). For you the difference may lay somewhere else. So go and find out.
Lillian Zelos

Post by Lillian Zelos »

Ok the pendulum thing I had said in my earlier post was just a hypothetical something..just want to make sure no one assumes that's what i really think. As for this hypnogogic business I'm not a fan. Mine seem absolutely real..perhaps i just dont like having hallucinations. I was kinda hoping it was something magical so that I could do something to get rid of it. But thank for taking the time to relate your experiences at least im not alone in this. It funny though are you sure they never have a story line?
Traumwandlerin

Post by Traumwandlerin »

The nearest experience of a story line were when I was a kid. Today my hypnagogic visions are mostly about forests or palaces. But as a kid they were mostly about comicbooks. Readind them actually. So I always had those pics and speech bubbles. But they never made sense. No two pics with bubbles releated to the same story ^^ I've never heard of any hypnagogic experience with a storyline in it. That's because these experiences are really meaningless and a story always has some kind of meaning.

Because those things are perfectly explainable doesn't mean you can't do anything against it. I really appreciate this experience though and therefore trained it over the years. You surely can untrain it, learn to love it or other things. I've heard with most this relates to stress, being really tired when going to bed, being drunk/drugs, have a slight sleep, etc. When you reduces these factors, maybe you'll be lucky. But I guess you can also use some magical means. I would ask in the sleeping and dreaming section, I bet someone has a nice herbal something or can guide you to some gems or stuff :)
reikihealer83

Post by reikihealer83 »

I have this happen all the time. I tend to have dreams where I can smell and feel everything. I will usually have them for a few nights in a row and I feel exhausted because it is like I have been up for about 48 or so hours straight. I can see how this is psycological but it could be something more. Just my humble .02 cents.
Evanthe

Post by Evanthe »

It sounds a lot like lucid dreaming to me but I might not understand the differences completely. Maybe you could experiment with them much in the same way you would with lucid dreaming and see if you can contribute to the direction they take?
Evanthe
-------------------------------------------------------------------
"You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body."
-C.S Lewis
Traumwandlerin

Post by Traumwandlerin »

You can easily say what's a lucid dream. In a lucid dream you know you are dreaming. Not dreaming you know you are dreaming (fake lucid dreaming) but really know you are dreaming and are able do act on it ;)

Return to “OBEs, Astral Travel, Lucid Dreaming”