Chat about pagan and Wiccan holidays.
Ivy Amethyst

Litha today?????????

Post by Ivy Amethyst »

I heard it was the 21st not today!
Oakheart

Re: Litha today?????????

Post by Oakheart »

The UT (Universal Time) for the Summer Solstice is the 20th @ any time after 10:24 pm. That might be why some people are saying that it is on the 21st; because we literally have two hours worth of it before it spills over into the 21st.
Student of Rosicrucianism, Neoplatonism & Hermetic Kabbalah.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

That means a reason to celebrate for two days.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
lilacnyellow

Post by lilacnyellow »

Oakheart wrote:The UT (Universal Time) for the Summer Solstice is the 20th @ any time after 10:24 pm. That might be why some people are saying that it is on the 21st; because we literally have two hours worth of it before it spills over into the 21st.
For me it's June 20 at 6:30 est. timing like that is weird even though I know it's based on the sun. In the Southern Hemisphere it's would be winter solstice right?
Siona

Post by Siona »

The equinoxes and solstices can shift around a little bit each year. You can use Time and Date to look up exactly when these events happen in your area, under the sun and moon category, to help plan your rituals and such. (Although, of course it does not have to be on the same day, many celebrate on a nearby weekend, or similar, because of work and such.) It's a nice website, you can also look up exact moon phases, sun rise and set, moon rise and set, and so on. It's been very helpful for me in planning out my calendar.
lilacnyellow wrote:In the Southern Hemisphere it's would be winter solstice right?
Yep. They move through the wheel opposite of what the northern hemisphere would do. So the winter solstice was a few days ago, they will celebrate Imbolc when the north celebrates Lammas, then it is the spring equinox while the north has the autumn equinox, and so on.

Return to “Sabbats and Esbats”