DIY Runes

Make your own oils, incense, dream pillows, teas, aromatics, magickally charged bath salts, candles, soap, yummy pagan holiday treats, and more!
PaganCeltophile

DIY Runes

Post by PaganCeltophile »

Blessings everyone :)

I just wanted to adress the topic of runes, runestones and on-a-budget paganism :)
I wanted to study the runes for quite a while now. And I began wondering if buying a set of beautiful amethyst runes... But since I a) live on a student budget and b) am not sure if runes will even suit me, I made my own ones :)

I live in a rather rural area, so all I have to do is just go out and I have Nature everywhere. So two days ago (during a hailstorm, actually - which is funny because there is a rune that literally means "hail") I went out and gathered some small rocks. I took them home, bathed them in salt water (for physical and spiritual cleansing) and then I started covering them with paint, yesterday. Now, there's a simple trick to that: Usually, paint (if not covered with some kind of coating) will crack over time especially if used on a regular basis like runestones. Plus, some paints are reaaally expensive. So what I did was buy some nail polish. It's, like, 2 bucks a bottle, and it comes with beautiful colors (I love the metallic and glittery types - somehow the reflection of those glitter thingies in the candle light reminds me of the stars in the night sky and really has a mystical and divine feeling for me). Another benefit of nail polish is that it does not need additional coating and is perfect for frequent use without really cracking off. I picked a metallic purple color to cover the whole stone, and tomorrow I'll use a glittery silver to draw the actual runes on the stones.

It's a really inexpensive way to make your own runes, plus if you get to pick your favorite colors, they're even more beautiful to you than any purchased ones. And because you a) make them yourself and b) you actually gathered the stones at your home area, they are infused with more personal and spiritual/natural energy.

Just wanted to share this with you :)

Brightest Blessings xx
SnowCat
Banned Member

Re: DIY Runes

Post by SnowCat »

That's a really nice idea. It would also make a good craft project for kids, although in that case, it might not be as exact with respect to runes. Thanks for sharing.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Nice idea, PaganCeltophile. Love the username, too. lol

PaganCeltophile

Post by PaganCeltophile »

Thanks you too :)

Yeah, that's true -- children loooove crafting :) But the technique could also be applied to wands or the like which would be children-friendly :)

Thanks Kassandra :) I love yours too, haha :D x
tiffanyrae

Post by tiffanyrae »

Do you think carving the runes into the stone would work?
Becks

Post by Becks »

Yes you can do this. Some stone is quite soft....soapstone for example is easily scored...even with a fingernail.

The nicest set of runes I ever saw was simple collected flat stones found at a lake. Then the person used another stone to scratch rune spdesigns on them. You can mark a rock by rubbing it with another harder rock. She spent quite a bit of time so the rune symbol was nice and visible.

Return to “Kitchen Magick & Witch Crafts”