Best way to make a smudge stick

Make your own oils, incense, dream pillows, teas, aromatics, magickally charged bath salts, candles, soap, yummy pagan holiday treats, and more!
angelsfallfirst

Best way to make a smudge stick

Post by angelsfallfirst »

Hi I need to make a smudge stick but I only have loose sage leaves. I do burn them individually but it's abit diddly and awkward so are there things I can use at home or buy to put the loose leaves in for a stick.

Thanks
Shub Niggurath

Re: Best way to make a smudge stick

Post by Shub Niggurath »

Hey, I can't really think of a way to make sticks out of sage leaves but you can buy charcoal tablets and simply put a leaf on a burning charcoal tablet for smudging. Those charcoal tablets are made specially for natural incenses like leaves, herbs, resin incenses etc. If you want to use it for smudging the house you can just place the charcoal on a small plate or in a censer. Hope that helps.
Siona

Post by Siona »

Are the individual leaves already died? There's not really a good way to make dried loose leaves into a smudge stick. Smudge sticks are made with fresh sage (or whichever herb one wants to use) that is bunched, tied together, and allowed to dry. I agree that using charcoal, or perhaps lighting a few leaves and allowing them to burn in a dish together, might work better for you.
Seraphin
Location: EUTM's dungeon, keeping a dragon egg in a pot over a fireplace!

Post by Seraphin »

Alternatively the same herbs (and a variety of others) can be placed in a bowl or mug and covered with freshly boiled water. The steam can be used the same way as smoke; I usually use a large feather to distribute it for clearing; just add more hot water as needed to keep the steam coming.
Seraphin

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
random417

Post by random417 »

I get sage from beside my mom's house. Mom is great about picking it, but she dries it all separately for me. I use skills I picked up a long time ago, and crush it up, roll it into cigarette papers, or even unflavored wraps. It's not quite the same as a smudge stick, but it works for me
So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will.
Do that, and no other shall say nay.
For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect.
~AL 1:42-44
Pinkpower_80

Post by Pinkpower_80 »

That's a good idea random. I recently got some fresh sage from my father in law and am going to tie it together & hang it up to dry today.
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

Oh, random, this is a fantastic idea! Thank you so much!
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

I can't help with a stick, but the others already beat me to what I was going to suggest! Haha. I crumble them up and put them in my shell then light them to let them burn. (: I've seen people use it both ways and both are just as effective!

An alternative to burning something, is to make a spray which I actually made a recipe for on here: [urlhttp://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum/sakura-blossombreeze-spray-t28020.html]Smuding Spray[/url].

It works for warding off negativity, but if you're looking to burn something during ritual work then of course this can't fully replace that effect. Haha.

I hope you figure out what to do! (: And find something that works for you!
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

I found a really good pin on pinterest that explained it well with pictures step by step. Much easier than me trying to explain it. LOL
angelsfallfirst

Post by angelsfallfirst »

Hi. The cigeratte paper sounds like a good idea so I'll give it a try, thanks very much

Return to “Kitchen Magick & Witch Crafts”