Whittled Idols

Make your own oils, incense, dream pillows, teas, aromatics, magickally charged bath salts, candles, soap, yummy pagan holiday treats, and more!
Vervain

Whittled Idols

Post by Vervain »

I recently picked up a carving knife and a few blocks of wood from Michaels, because I had just decided, after years of study and indecision, to adopt Hel and Odin as my primary Lord and Lady and wanted to honor them by carving their likenesses.

In a few hours each, I have now finished carving Odin and one of his ravens. I have one more raven to do and then I can move on to Hel. I am not sure if I want to woodburn them, paint them, or leave them plain. If I paint them I would probably just paint some parts and leave a lot of the wood showing. I'd love to hear your opinions on whether I should leave them be or decorate them and if so how. When they are all done, I plan to hold a ritual in Hel's and Odin's honor, dedicating myself to them and placing the figures on my altar.

Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Whittled Idols

Post by Firebird »

Very cute Vervain, which bird is it...huggin or munnin?... Nice job girl!
FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Altairtigris

Post by Altairtigris »

Lovely. I would Woodburn them, but that's only because I like the effect :)
Vervain

Post by Vervain »

This raven is Munnin. Huggin is next.

I actually decided to woodburn them--Odin is done, I'm not done with Munnin yet, and I haven't even started to carve Huggin. I put pictures up this evening maybe.
Vervain

Post by Vervain »

Okay, I woodburned them. Here are pictures.
I think I'm addicted to Pagan crafting. Fortunately, this doesn't have many negative side effects.

Details of Odin:

Details of Munnin:
ImageImageImage

ImageImage
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

SO GORGEOUS! You have some serious talent, Vervain!
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Altairtigris

Post by Altairtigris »

They look amazing. That really sets them off.
Vervain

Post by Vervain »

Thank you both! I'm very happy with them. :)
Heartsong

Post by Heartsong »

*Gasp* Those are stunning!!! The detail you put in the woodburning is amazing! They're going to look lovely on your altar :)
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Vervain..you Ragnarok! (was that bad?)
FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Vervain

Post by Vervain »

Thanks!
firebirdflys wrote:Vervain..you Ragnarok! (was that bad?)
FF
By most people's standards, probably, but it made me giggle pretty hard. :)
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

firebirdflys wrote:Vervain..you Ragnarok! (was that bad?)
hahahahahaha

Vervain, honestly dude, open an Etsy, man. Your art needs to be shared with the world --or all nine of them, rather. hehe Seriously, your art gives me goosebumps.

What's the runes say at the bases of both, if I might ask?

Vervain

Post by Vervain »

Thank you! I've definitely considered opening an Etsy, but it's very hard I think to craft effectively for people I don't know well, and as beautiful as other people's crafts and tools are, I would just so much rather learn to make my own and do it myself that buy someone else's... I have a few tools that I did not make that I feel very connected to... but most of my tools that I did not make are simply standing in for tools I haven't made yet. I had an Etsy for a while just for Tarot Readings, but as a full time college student any spare time I have for crafting tends to go towards making the things I've wanted to make for years. However, I love woodburning, and I've only just bought another (cheaper) woodburner (I have one at my parents' in California that's very nice, a gift from my grandfather, but it's not very portable and I can't afford one like that for here) but it's working pretty well and I'm... happy with the results if not the process, so I may have an increased output of woodburnings coming that exceeds my personal demand... in which case, expect an Etsy. But, we'll see. I'd really prefer to do personalized arts and crafts, so if anyone has personal requests, I'd be much more likely to be motivated by that than by more general encouragement.

That was a much longer ramble than it needed to be. The most important part of it was the first two words, so here they are again: Thank you!
Elisa wrote:What's the runes say at the bases of both, if I might ask?
I wanted to say so much more than I had room for, but Odin's says, "O Odin, Allfather, teach me," and Muninn's says, "O Munnin, help me to learn from the past." I wish I had carved Muninn looking back over his shoulder, but what's done is done. Huginn's will say, "O Huginn, help me to create the future," or something like that. I'm still figuring it out. I really wish I'd had more room to write, but there's no going back with carving and burning... :)
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Vervain wrote:...I may have an increased output of woodburnings coming that exceeds my personal demand... in which case, expect an Etsy. But, we'll see.
Yay.
Vervain wrote:......Odin's says, "O Odin, Allfather, teach me," and Muninn's says, "O Munnin, help me to learn from the past"...Huginn's will say, "O Huginn, help me to create the future," or something like that. I'm still figuring it out.
Ah, nice. Thanks for sharing that. Well, keep us posted on ol' Huginn. :)

Vervain

Post by Vervain »

Here is Huginn!

All three together:

And just Huginn:

I hope you enjoy them!
I was amazed, Muninn took me sessions over 3 days to carve, and I finished whittling Huginn in I think about an hour... RIDICULOUS! Granted Huginn is a little bigger than Muninn... but still. This must mean I'm getting better. :)
That was last weekend, but I just woodburned him now. It was time I finished him... I started a new kind of meditation and have been having crazy experiences with Odin in some strange castle in my subconscious imagination... more on that in another post somewhere else, but anyhow I told him I would finish the set, and darned if I'm not a witch of my word. So.

The end.
Well, until I carve Hela.

Return to “Kitchen Magick & Witch Crafts”