Bookbinding

Make your own oils, incense, dream pillows, teas, aromatics, magickally charged bath salts, candles, soap, yummy pagan holiday treats, and more!
Vervain

Bookbinding

Post by Vervain »

I keep my Book of Light and Shadow electronically so that I can share, add, remove, change, and rearrange things at will very easily, and I'm very happy with this system. However, I'm a book girl, and a crafty witch, and I couldn't get over the desire to have some sort of book of my own.

So, I have decided to keep Elemental Books (only for Earth, Air, Fire, and Water--I think keeping a Spirit book would limit my relationship with Spirit rather than strengthen it). I wanted books that FELT like the Element they encompassed, and I knew I wasn't going to be satisfied with anything I could find in a store, so I decided to look into bookbinding. At this stage this was all hypothetical and I assumed it would be too difficult to really do.

However, I stumbled upon THIS TUTORIAL, which is really great, and which I basically followed to bind my Earth Book, the first in my series of four books which I plan to create.

I changed a few things in the process. I folded each page individually before creating the stacks, and didn't use exactly 8 pieces of paper per stack. They are about even in thickness, but my papers are of various weights and thicknesses (including some burlap and canvas fabric), so the number of sheets is different.

I sewed the sheets together instead of stapling them, because I wanted it to feel more organic, and also because my stapler wasn't working and I didn't want to buy another stapler.

I added ribbon bookmarks just by gluing them to the binding on the spine.

I also cut a fancy hole in one of my end pages (the front one) so I could have a peek through Yggdrasil, because why the Hel not? It's Exercise-Your-Norse-Puns Day, by the way.

This post used to be a lot longer, but I still haven't learned my lesson about saving drafts, so you get this much more concise version, which is probably a good thing.

This book is not something I ever intend to finish--nor are the other 3 in the series (and who knows, I may make books for the Sabbats, for certain deities, etc!). I hope for it(/them) to continue to grow organically as I continue to add to them. If you're interested in seeing "completed" pages and details of the inside of the book, check over in the Members' Books of Shadows section of the forum, I'll be posting pictures!

Blessed be,
Vervain
scaravich

Re: Bookbinding

Post by scaravich »

Thanks for the link, and the pictures... I really admired your book in the other thread. It's great to see how you made it. I will definitely bookmark this... I'm sure I'll want to make my own book like this some day :)
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Vervain!
you are freaking amazing! this is wonderful...inspired folks? time to craft for the craft :fairy:
Thanks girl...
Bright Blessings, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Vervain

Post by Vervain »

Thank you for your lovely comments, I'm glad I could share the joy!

Crafting for the craft... exactly. I find that arts and crafts, doing projects like this and like my salt dough goddesses and other other thing I decide to make for the craft... I find that it helps me get in touch with Spirit very actively as well as through my inner child. For the same reason we "let the spell be spake in rhyme," crafting is a GREAT way to keep me in touch with the Universe. It has also turned out to be a great way to create beautiful things, and to make my rituals more personal as I get to use in them things that I have created. :flyingwitch:
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

I love these pics. The book you created is so aaaaahhh!!! Thanks for sharing it.

vervain wrote:I find that arts and crafts, doing projects like this and like my salt dough goddesses and other other thing I decide to make for the craft... I find that it helps me get in touch with Spirit very actively as well as through my inner child...crafting is a GREAT way to keep me in touch with the Universe...
I think Xiao Rong expressed it nicely in this thread when she wrote in her post, "Clear a space for your circle (mine's in my kitchen, which is my altar and my hearth)." Many of her food recipes are her spells, as well as her healing work, and her celebrations with loved ones, etc.

There's just something about the doing, the creating, the textures and smells, the process, the learning ...and finally, the sharing.

Vervain

Post by Vervain »

Yes, I absolutely agree! Thank you for directing me to that thread, as well. It's so often the doing that is the magic--one of the many reasons there are no shortcuts in magic! Magic isn't a shortcut, it's just another way. 好く道より破る。That is, "the appealing (easy) way leads to destruction" (suku michi yori yaburu), same story as "two roads diverged in a wood and I, I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference." Just like the mundane, magic will always work better the more you put into it. The arts are perhaps my favorite way to practice the magical arts. :fairy:
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Wish the images hadn't vanished, maybe Vervain will reappear and we can get it fixed. super cool link. Bb, FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:

Return to “Kitchen Magick & Witch Crafts”