Herbs or tonics for Pms/Pmt?

Make your own oils, incense, dream pillows, teas, aromatics, magickally charged bath salts, candles, soap, yummy pagan holiday treats, and more!
Chatters

Herbs or tonics for Pms/Pmt?

Post by Chatters »

I suffer from terrible PMS, which seems to be getting worse the older I get. I have recently started taking a vitamin supplement which includes B12 and B6 amongst other vitamins that are generally known to help with the monthly cycle. I am also taking evening primrose.

My last period was so bad that I fainted, I have been to the doctor and he has advised trying the above vitamins which I mentioned to him or to go back on the pill which I would rather not do, as I want to try and improve and balance my hormones naturally. Here are some of the symptoms I now get around my monthly cycle.

- Feeling very tired - low energy, legs can keep feeling like jelly and I get dizzy spells and feel shaky.
- Low mood, depression and extreme irritability
- feeling faint - last month I fainted
- Headaches and migraines
- Heavy and sometimes painful periods

I have always had problems with my periods, but recently - this last year The PMS - moods and feeling extremely tired has got much worse. I'm started to dread my periods so I hope the vitamins help.

Anyone with experience of improvements taking certain vitamins/herbs or any advice would be very much appreciated
WatchfulEyeTheButterfly

Post by WatchfulEyeTheButterfly »

I've heard Yarrow and Lemon Balm can help a lot, but I haven't tried them myself.
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

I drink a tea of parsely (sp?) to be rid of menstrual cramps and pms.
whitewitch

Post by whitewitch »

A few herbs that can help with Pms are Vitex Berry, Wild Yam Root,
Burdock Root, Dandelion Root, Feverfew Leaf and oil of evening primrose capsules

And here is a couple others that can help

Take dahlia herb to rid your stomach ache
Use peppermint for relief from headaches
black cohosh. helps reduce cramps and menstrual pains
Clove: is a magical pain suppressant
Chatters

Post by Chatters »

Hi Just noticed I had some replies

Thanks for your comments

Ravencry I have lots of parsley growing so a tea of parsley sounds good. will try that. I do Drink lots of peppermint tea already - almost daily. I have thought about making something to press on my tummy and back too - I suppose the simplest thing to try could be a lavender bath.

I know that Lavender is good for period pain especially warm and Mint is good as a poultice for aching bones and pain. I will try different things out

Thanks everyone
Fie

Post by Fie »

I used to have horrible, horrible menstrual pain. I would have to get into the fetal position and rock myself to ease the pain. There are two things you can do to lessen this if not completely get rid of it.

1) make a very strong batch of ginger tea. I have found that about a pot of ginger tea (while tasting horrible) makes your cramps go away and gets rid of that 'pit' feeling you get in your stomach.
* my ex also used this upon my recommendation to get rid of nausea caused by his diabetes and he claimed it eased the sickness*

2) talk to your doctor about talking birth control pills for pain. Thats what I ended up having to do, while the ginger tea helped, I also bled a lot and I'm anemic, so the pills not only eliminated the cramps and blinding pain, but also helped me bleed less.

These are what worked for me, as for moods, well everyones grouchy when they are in pain =) I was very irritable before I started drinking ginger tea just because talking was too painful.
[i][color=spirit]It may be that no life is found,
Which only to one engine bound
Falls off, but cycles always round.
ALFRED TENNYSON, The Two Voices[/i][/color]

Can you hear the coyotes yipping?
They are having a good time.
Teasing the shadows.

[url=http://dragcave.net/user/Fie-kun][img]http://incubators.dragcave.net/incubator_Fie-kun.png[/img][/url]
Echo_of_shadows

Re: Herbs or tonics for Pms/Pmt?

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

I read somewhere that adding oregano to your food helps ease pms symptems, but I've forgotten which ones specifically. At the first sign of pms, I make sure I've got oregano at the front of my cupboard.
I hope this helps everyone :)
Ember Nightwolf

Re: Herbs or tonics for Pms/Pmt?

Post by Ember Nightwolf »

Rosehip syrup is said to work wonders, and you can make that yourself. (In fact, apparantly thats part of how roses became associated with romance - the husband gave them to his wife when he knew she was suffering from PMS, and only someone intimate would know such a thing!)
Agnus Castus can be good too, though you'll probably have to order that, same with evening primrose oil.
Hope this helps, Bright Blessings! :)
There are three sides to a coin.

Return to “Kitchen Magick & Witch Crafts”