My nemesis? Rainbow moonstone or just moonstone.....

Discussion and questions about the magical properties and uses of crystals and stones.
witch_baby

My nemesis? Rainbow moonstone or just moonstone.....

Post by witch_baby »

Hi, I recently lost a moonstone ring. My husband and I were arguing and he actually threw a bunch of things from my altar into the neighbors yard. I know, crazy but not the focus here (maybe). It was crystals and jewlery and perfumes. I was able to retrieve 98% of my belongings. Except one beloved ring and a few crystals. The ring was a moonstone. It's like it just fell off the face of the earth.
Weirdly enough, in the neighbors yard I found a smoky topaz stone. I had bought two and they both fell and chipped on my tile floor which is super weird as they are hard stones. I could have sworn I threw them away. And I never kept on my altar but in my living room shelf. But there one was in their yard. UN-chipped. I since discovered that stone was MY stone. It grounds me and feels protective and it my birthstone. To replace my beloved lost ring, I bought a big smoky topaz pendant and ring.
Thinking back, I also had a moonstone necklace when I dated an ex in my twenties and that ended horribly. I basically had to start my life over. Then even farther back, I had a rainbow moonstone ring in high school. I broke it around the time I finished high school and ended an unhealthy best friendship
I am wondering the significance of the rainbow and moonstones. I am afraid of buying any again. I currently have two tumbled natural moonstones but even feel weird when I meditate with me. Like slightly creeped out.
Silversong
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow (if the rainbow is in Oregon)

Re: My nemesis? Rainbow moonstone or just moonstone.....

Post by Silversong »

Moonstone, according to The Crystal Bible by Judy Hall, is a "stone of new beginnings." It's strongly connected to the moon and to the intuition. It reminds us that, as the moon waxes and wanes, so everything is a part of a cycle of change. It calms overreactions to situations and to emotional triggers.

It's entirely possible you simply don't "want" (I phrase it that way simply because I can find no better way to do so, ergo the quotation marks) to coexist and vibrate with moonstone. However, the fact that it has repeatedly showed up in your life at points in which you made major changes with your current relationships - hard changes, but necessary changes - leads me to believe that this isn't necessarily the case.

I don't think that it's the moonstone itself that is causing problems in your life. Moonstone is a stone of change, and I think it's more likely in this case that it is simply warning you that change is coming, trying to help you prepare for it. Your subconscious may recognize this but not want to admit it at this point, and be trying to blame the stone itself - which is natural. Human beings don't like change. We are creatures of habit. By and large, we like our lives to stay mostly the same, without rocking the boat too much. But nothing ever stays the same; the Moon reminds us of that, life all around us reminds us of that, and it's something we all have to come to terms with. Chaos, contrary to the popular opinion, is not synonymous with evil. A certain level of Chaos is necessary, breaking down the old to make way for the new.

As for your reactions to the moonstones you have right now - it might be as simple as a Pavlovian fear response of a sort. Every time you've had moonstone in the past, something bad has happened, so you subconsciously (or consciously) expect something bad to happen when you're near moonstone now. I would suggest trying to come to terms with it, hard as it is - talk to your moonstones, cleanse them and tune to them as best you can, even if it takes several tries.

Smoky topaz... well, there's nothing on smoky topaz in particular in volume one of The Crystal Bible; later I'll look through volumes two and three. Topaz in general is a mellow, empathetic stone that directs energy to where it is needed most. It promotes truth and forgiveness. It brings about a trust in the universe that enables you to "be" rather than to "do." It cuts through doubt and uncertainty and brings joy, generosity, abundance, and good health. It's a stone of love and good fortune, helping you to discover your own inner reaches. Some stones, we just vibrate well with XD I myself have a tangerine quartz I adore, and a green crystal which we suspect is green calcite, but aren't really sure. Simply holding that tangerine quartz makes me feel lightyears better, and it's slightly unfortunate it's my largest single crystal and I can't really take it places in my pockets... in any case, if you love your smoky topaz like I love my tangerine quartz, then by all means, go forth and do. As for the first two chipping at odd times, it's possible you simply weren't ready for them at the time. I... oh, what was it? Oh, yes. I had an amethyst chip, charged to ridiculous levels with fae energy at the Leavenworth Mayday festival, which for the longest time I couldn't hold because it caused me physical pain at the point of contact due to the energy being too high. I dared to meditate with it recently and was told that I had not been ready for it before, but that I am now, and I am now permitted to use it. Your smoky topazes may simply have taken a slightly different route in letting you know you weren't ready for them yet.

Hope this helped :3 Bright blessings!
evil ed

Post by evil ed »

While there are some sherry to coffee colored topaz, there is not really anything that is really and truly a "smoky topaz".
A lot of dealers (some knowingly, some unknowingly) sell smoky quartz as smoky topaz. Topaz is a denser material than quartz, is much harder (Mohs scale of 7 versus 8), and has a higher refractive index (and therefore more sparkle).
The same thing has been done with citrine. Citrine and Imperial topaz are "similar" in color, but citrine is much more commom. Someone in the supply chain decided they could get more money per carat by calling it citrine topaz.

I am not familiar with the term "rainbow moonstone". If I HAD to guess, I would be willing to guess that it may be labradorite. This definitely has the rainbow colors, as well as the "eye" effect of the moonstone. Here again, someone may have been playing with the names, knowing that people would be more familiar with the name "moonstone". Without seeing the actual stone, this is strictly a guess.

E.E.
By the prickling of my thumbs,
something Wiccan this way comes!
witch_baby

Post by witch_baby »

Silversong, sorry I meant smoky quartz not topaz. Thank you so much. You are a great help and wealth of information. I agree. E.E. yes, I was told rainbow moonstone is actually labradorite. I have had both natural milky white moonstone and "rainbow moonstone."
Silversong

Post by Silversong »

I have many books XD Crystals are my specialty, to boot. I do my best.

Smoky quartz, then. I'm eating lunch, so I don't happen to have my Crystal Bible, but I do remember smoky quartz being a protective stone. It has other properties, I'm sure. I'll look them up later.
EtherealMoonRose
Banned Member

Post by EtherealMoonRose »

Any possibility your neighbour picked them up before you went to retrieve them? Have you asked them? Also, that's super immature of your husband :-/
"I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night"
witch_baby

Post by witch_baby »

EtherealMoonRose, I don't think so. My neighbor behind me lives in a duplex. There are two units and a shared backyard. From what I can see they each use a half. The half that my things were in was really messy. I was able to retrieve two expensive bottles of perfume, a porcelain dish for soap I rested jewelry one my wedding ring, a bunch of crystals and 4 other rings. The only one missing was the moonstone ring, which would have been near or with the wedding ring as they were both on the dish. Both of the neighbors I spoke to speak very little English but were super nice and helpful. I am guessing there were more valuable items that were not missing, so they wouldn't bother with a very old, banged up moonstone ring.
witch_baby

Post by witch_baby »

When I recently meditated with the moonstones and started to feel sick a few weeks ago. When I held the two tumbled moonstones before meditating with them, I felt a weird cramp in my lower stomach and nausea. I just found out I am pregnant and very early so, I just knew because of the horrid morning sickness. A positive test proved it true. The stones let me know a new start was coming I think. The first sign happened when I was holding them and since then, I have had morning sickness and other symptoms. Truly a stone of new beginnings. Now I need some unakite to for a good pregnancy lol.
Silversong

Post by Silversong »

Moonstones are a stone of change, and that's a pretty big change ;3 Bright blessings to you, your husband, and your child, and I hope things get better between you and your husband.
mrsdavid1975

Post by mrsdavid1975 »

Well. You need to focus on why a magician stone ( labradorite) would " conflict" w your energy. I have a peacock ore that disappears sometimes. When I find it gain it always bring me information. Sometimes good. Sometimes bad. I feel the labradorite will come to you when you need to know to use your instincts or to focus on your craft work. .. Or even inner self.
mrsdavid1975

Post by mrsdavid1975 »

Moonstone is also a " traveler's stone. ". So you might need to be awakened to a possible travel or move.
witch_baby

Post by witch_baby »

MrsDavid, I think it's like Silversong said. I have in my mind, the moonstone and huge, life changes associated. I now see them as a bringer of change. I am thinking of getting a crystal ball. My dragons suggested actually insisted on labradorite. That's a whole different story though.
mrsdavid1975

Post by mrsdavid1975 »

Oh I love crystal balls. I have a few. Actually one IS labradorite ;)

Return to “Crystals and Gemstones”