Kitchen, cottage, hearth, green witchery terminology...

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Chelsea*Morning

Post by Chelsea*Morning »

Hi all,

In all of the reading I have done in the past three years, the aspect of witchcraft that I find myself relating to the most is that of the kitchen witch. Honoring the mundane seems to come very naturally to me, and by honoring my home I feel that I am also honoring the Goddess. I like to cook with fresh ingredients, grow my own herbs, and I also have many concerns about the environment.

However, I am confused by terms such as kitchen witch, cottage witch, and hearth witch. Are they all the same thing? Also, does green witchcraft frequently tie in with the practices of these kinds of witches?

Thanks in advance for your help!
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

The intuitive paths of “domestic” and “natural” witchcraft include kitchen, cottage & hearth and green witchery, as all draw on the sacred magic of nature. They blend into each other but each has it’s unique emphasis.

Kitchen witchcraft’s specialty is that it makes even the most humble household tasks a sacred act and nourishing/healing foods. It’s the modern grocery shopper’s equivalent of cottage craft that found its sources in the kitchen garden for healing brews. Hearth witchery literally uses the domestic fireplace - not the modern kitchen range - as the work place and altar. Fire Magic, ash powders, quaint cauldron potions come to mind with the picturesque hearth. Green magic includes relationship with natural energy, intuitive garden & forest crafting.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Kitchen, cottage, hearth, green witchery terminology...

Post by Firebird »

I would identify with the green witch...not for the gross misrepresented image ...but for the plant world, All the green growing things which bring us our foods and the healing herbs. In my tradition the color of life and spirit is green...the primordial ooze of creation is this color, healing is this color, the easiest color to see in the aura is this color. The green witch utilizes all the energies from the gifts of the earth and those are crafted in the kitchen, in the hearth, in the cottage.
I also practice hedge witchery, taking a step into realms uncharted with the use of the plants and shamanistic methods to achieve greater understanding or enlightenment. Walking the hedge is a reference to being on the edge of realty.
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”