Grounding?, please help me.

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Shaman of Bliss
Banned Member

Grounding?, please help me.

Post by Shaman of Bliss »

Ok I just need some information on grounding, what is it, how to do it and why its important.
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

ok ever notice after doing magical or energy work or something that afterwards you a little buzzed or feeling like if you lift your feet from the groun your gonna start flying. well grounding counteracts that, it brings you back to earth, back to reality and back to your normal states by releasing excess energies.

A simple visualisation can do this for you. A basic way is to visualise tree roots coming from the ground and wrapping around your legs to keep you earth bound. crystals can greatly help with this, smokey quartz and agate or good from grounding(smokey quartz is among the most commonly used for this purpose).

and it is important to ground i suppose to get rid of those excess energies, there are undoubtedly other reasons but i dont know them as i rarely ground.
hedge*

Post by hedge* »

Let me point to a topic about grounding that we allready have going on. Hope it helps.

http://www.everythingunderthemoon.net/f ... 5246#15246
[Enlightenment]

Post by [Enlightenment] »

Grounding helps bring you back to normal waking consciousness after meditation etc.
~Blessings One and All~

***Knowledge really is Power***
spinneyhex

Post by spinneyhex »

You really need to do a little more study of your path which you say is shamanic, if you cannot do a simple grounding then please study your path before you do anything else :shock:
Eretik

Post by Eretik »

My 'grounding' is accomplished before I begin, any residual energy is either stored[ I 've spoken about this before] or released through 'stretching' it out, dancing it out or sitting down on the ground, also by laughter, a brilliant release. [ I do my 'stuff' outdoors, I consider myself grounded most of the time] it's a question of perception and individual preference,teaching, path etc.
thatguy

Post by thatguy »

Well I have back Eretik up. Not every tradition employs a grounding ritual as set forth by many schools of witchcraft. However, most every tradition does deal explicitly with maintaining a balance in one's own personal energy system after performing any sort of ritual involving energy manipulation (including meditation) and most every tradition closes whichever doors have been opened and restores a mundane state of consciousness after such work.

Whatever path you follow, I think it's important to understand these concepts for yourself. Then again, it's a funny little place we're in, so maybe anything goes. Sometimes I've too grave :)

cheers,

T. Guy.
Shaman of Bliss
Banned Member

Post by Shaman of Bliss »

I don't do many rituals, but I meditate or try to every night, and I havn't had negative side effects. You guys say it's so important to ground so I started to ask around about what it is. Now I am young and I don't know everything, I accept that and am learning and growing. Now I've been told grounding important but have had no bad effects and so I will experiment, see if grounding is important or if I could live without. People earlier in this thread, (I believe it was Sobek) said it themselves, not everyone needs grounding. And so to the comment with the :shock: smiley, you wound me.
Eretik

Post by Eretik »

Be not wounded young Shaman, experiment to your heart's content, for your experiences will be real and unique leading to personal growth and power. It's good to ask questions. You will get all kinds of answers, tailored to the experience and path of the individual advisor. You may not find all answers useful ,but it all contributes to learning and understanding - keep enquiring and asking. There's no such thing as a dumb question - only dumb answers sometimes!
[ForestWitch]

Post by [ForestWitch] »

Shaman, I think it's entirely possible that you haven't thought a whole lot about grounding before now because you do it instinctively. I know when I first started reading about it I felt a little as though someone had said to me "Oh yes, and when you go for a run, don't forget to breathe!" You know, who would do that? Yet there are ways to breathe more intentionally which will give you greater endurance and in the same way you may want to be more intentional and deliberate about grounding.
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

That might be right, Forestwitch, but I know a few people (myself included) that didn't start grounding until they felt a need for it. I had been told in the beginning that it wasn't 'necessary' so I didn't. But once I tried it and started doing it more often I make sure I always do now.
[ForestWitch]

Post by [ForestWitch] »

Oh, I agree that it's necessary. I'm just saying that it's something I've always done quite unconsciously and instinctively and only realized after I started reading about it that there were benefits to being more intentional and directed about it. So, if a person is not grounding (or consciously doing something else with excess energies) and is also not experiencing any difficulties because of it, it may be that they are doing it unconsciously without any accompanying ritual or visualization.
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

Ok, I see what you're saying :)
spinneyhex

Post by spinneyhex »

And so to the comment with the smiley, you wound me.
That would be me.
Going from your other posts You have Wiccan and Shamanic beliefs so thought you would have already known/understood about grounding. This is the reason for the "shocked" smilie.
Im not here to 'wound' you.
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

Sorry to speak for you here, Shaman.

I think he's fairly new to his belief system. Also, just believing in something doesn't mean you know how to work with it. I believed in Wicca long before I had a clue about grounding. And even with experienced people some just don't do it. Anyway, that's what questions are for. He wanted to know, now he's learning.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”