Do witches/wiccans need to make spells and how simple can a spell be?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
cherri

Do witches/wiccans need to make spells and how simple can a spell be?

Post by cherri »

I don't often make spells. I work more with manifestation and very simple protection spells or just wearing certain crystals or sigils and programming them if I feel necessary.
When I do feel like I need a spell I often find them to be quite complex, you need a bunch of different tools, candles of certain colors and various other items. Is that always necessary or can it be enough to light any candle (maybe draw a sigil or something on it first), chant something and focus on your intention? Or is that less effective?

I also have another quick question. Are karma spells allowed within wicca or do they count as revenge spells? If somebody has wronged you, are you allowed to turn that back at them? Personally I can't really see that as revenge as it's just reflecting back the bad energy they put onto me. And what would be an effective way to do this? Can I do it as I wrote above, maybe also have a photo of that person, or is more necessary for it to be effective? Thanks. :flyingwitch:
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Do witches/wiccans need to make spells and how simple can a spell be?

Post by Firebird »

I personally do not feel the need to cast spells all the time. Like you said using crystals and sigils maybe pendulums and cards, some daily affirmations etc... but when a spell is needed it doesn't have to be complex. One can write their own using whatever herbs, colors, stones, time of day or phase of moon is handy at the time. Candle burning is by far the quickest and easiest.
And yes, reflective magic is the most ethical way to get around being dark and devious. Its a form of protective magic and perfectly ok to protect onself. Mirrors work well for this.
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I don’t do spells often either and when I do, I prefer the K.I.S.S. principle - Keep it simple, sweetie. I get side tracked with lists. If it feels intuitive I know it’s workIng. Candle spells are go-to 😊 and load, aim, shoot

The only so called karma spells I’ve read are just incantations that amount to return to sender spells. Meh 🤷🏽‍♀️
Satara

Post by Satara »

I honestly think the most important part of a spell isn't the quantity of spells you make, but that you have a purpose and feel it's the right thing to do. If that means you do spells only rarely, that's perfectly fine. Some of us just do an occasional spell, others love to do rituals or spells to support their endeavors quite frequently.

Speaking about complexity, I'd say it's the same. There are many ways to practice magic, and it needs to feel right. Some even go so far to use no tools at all, while others use all those things that were already mentioned and more.
Asked differently: If you use something that doesn't feel right and you feel like a clown instead of a witch at that moment, would the spell work? I'd say no. So use your magic how you feel comfortable with, not how others say it works for them.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”