So about Craft names...

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
RedRavenFox

So about Craft names...

Post by RedRavenFox »

I think I have finally found mine...however I have heard a couple things and I am very curious on everyone's opinion.

1) You should never reveal your craft name

2) OR have AT LEAST two craft names for example: a public one, a coven one, and perhaps one you share only with the God and Goddess, elements, your spirit guides,....etc

3) You cannot make up your own name. It must be either given to you by the coven or by the God and Goddess.

I may not make my real craft name public but other than that I do not agree with the majority of rules I listed.

Thoughts?
What's happened has happened
What's coming is already on its way
With a role for me to play...
Corbin

Re: So about Craft names...

Post by Corbin »

I've been using my craft name publicly for years in communication (usually craft related matters).

I understand the magical and psychological reasoning behind the concept of a developing the 'magical persona' keyed to a craft name (like a coorespondance to the craft) and of people's concerns - that knowing your craft name is potentially another 'toenail clipping' or vector for those who may wish to hex.

Of course, if someone is going to hex you based on your power name (something that though you are invested in - you have invested power in) well... they are potentially picking very dicey ground - Sure its easy to find that big castle from the signposts... but assaulting it by choosing to shout up to the sentry and then charge the front gate where the soldiers,archers, drawbridge, portcullis and the murder-holes await? Hmm... Good luck with that one.

I see no issue between being gifted and accepting a craft name and choosing one with due ritual - both are magical acts - one being receptive, the other expressive. I was named rather then chose my name (so thinking about it, if someone chose to hex it they are up against 'the big guns' also). If it hadn't happened I suppose I would have chosen one.

I am not however, one of those people who say with an undeserved degree of smugness and entitlement that names must be given because mine was - I'm glad to say petty ego games and childish one-upmanship is far divorced from my craft experience.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I don't use a craft name as I'm eclectic solitaire. A user-name works here for reference. I understand coven & group identity & I'm not sure that's such a good idea, to be honest, if wanting to belong means just go along & don't think for yourself. And the psychological uses of the magical persona - although useful as a training tool - have also seemed redundant if a magical mindset is a natural result anyway when/if i'm properly centered. IMO a name given by one's deity would be too intimate & precious to share. I wouldn't want to give anyone the contact afforded only to my deity.
barker

Post by barker »

i just use the name barker on here - i don't call it real life when i am not at the computer. So i have to work with insight not the full ferocity of my magical otherness. It is a learn/teaching experience.

aside from that, i do feel that it is best to tell only truth, in the sense that that process will never externalise power:

evil has no answer to the question, "is a hero, strong?"
that silence... my whole truth liberated forever.
one.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”