Wiccans in the Military

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Lucille

Wiccans in the Military

Post by Lucille »

Hi, I'm a Wiccan that is currently thinking about enlisting in the Coast Guard. I've been able to find both positive and negative articles about Paganism in the military, and lots about the Air Force being very welcoming. While this is all great, I can't find anything on the Coast Guard, which makes sense because it is one of the smaller branches.
If anyone has any knowledge about Wiccans in the military that would be awesome and having anything about the Coast Guard specifically would be even better. :D

Thank you and blessed be!!
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Wiccans in the Military

Post by Firebird »

I know nothing about this.
What you do while not working shouldn't matter a bit to them. I do know all service branches have approved the pentacle as a religious symbol, one that can now be placed on a grave marker even. As for other practioners within the branch, once you get there, perhaps you could start up a meditation group or something that would draw other pagans out? Best wishes.
Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

A friend of mine isn’t necessarily a Wiccan, but he practices magic and used to be in the marines.

From what I’ve gathered, he hated it. For one, he is quite clairvoyant and highly sensitive to energy. Because of this he was constantly assaulted by what he called “The Shadow” within the military. He saw it manifest in various ways, as well as consuming other soldiers and corrupting them. For him it was not a pleasant place to be, and fortunately he found a loophole and got out.

I highly suggest, if you are considering joining, to be well aware of your rights when it comes to leaving. After a certain period, they own your soul, literally. A contract with the military is equivalent to a soul contract. If you want out after that period it will be very difficult.
Lucille

Post by Lucille »

That sounds really horrible... I'll keep that in mind.
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

Also keep in mind that he was in the Marines. The Coast Guard may be different, as it’s more oriented to protecting the borders and not invading countries :)

Either way, protection is a must for military servants.
Lucille

Post by Lucille »

Thanks for the insight! I want to join the Coast Guard since I feel drawn to the ocean and I'm more at home there, plus I have a need for a life of adventure, so the Coast Guard was an obvious choice. I tell myself that as long as I'm in my element and I'm doing what I love, people's opinions on my religion won't matter, especially since the military has been more open to Wicca and other Pagan religions, but it's easier said than done. I'm an emotional person and people's opinions about me matter more than I like.
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

Haha well the common people usually highly respect those who serve in the military.
Shekinah

Post by Shekinah »

Not a problem with the military but as always there are people in positions of power even in the military who might not think kindly about a NON-Christian and may stand in your way concerning promotions and assignments. I am retired Air Force Special Operations/CIA and have been a Witch throughout my 25 year career with no problems but I found it wise to lurk in the broom closet at duty assignments. Only the CIA knew I was a Witch and they utilized my skills for empathic interrogation, remote viewing in Vietnam and Laos to locate MIA's and later in their Star Gate program. In fact I taught applications of Quantum physics employing Witchcraft at Camp Perry for the "Agency". Governments are in the broom closet themselves about still having Wizards and the CIA headquarters building has a Pentagram engraved on the keystone.

Eglin Air Base (Eglin Pagans) has one of the best most active Pagan programs I am familiar with.

If you be discrete you should have no problems with a Coast Guard career. I wish you well.

Shekinah
Truth and Reality are highly guarded secrets. Nothing is as it appears. "The ONENESS sleeps in the stone, breathes in the plant, dreams in the animal and awakens in man" (Indian proverb)
be.the.mermaid

Post by be.the.mermaid »

I signed up with this message board just to answer this one. :flyingwitch:
My husband is in the military and he highly supports me being Pagan/Wiccan. He's a Warrant Officer and has been in the Coast Guard for 25 years. I asked him about this because he's never talked bad about anyone's religion and I asked him how he would feel about it. He said people in the office just don't discuss religion because it's a personal thing. He said if it ever does come up he said people are always respectful and don't make a big deal of each others beliefs. He says he's worked with all walks of life. He loves the Coast Guard and has never regretted joining. It's a smaller service and he said it's like family. They look out for one another. You just have to do your part and what's expected of you and no problem.

My son joined the Air Force a couple of years ago. I guess I would say he's agnostic. He doesn't believe in god or he's just not sure. He's up in the air. He knows I was into Wicca/Witchcraft when he was young. He actually went to a Buddhist service when he was at boot camp just to check it out and to get out on a Sunday. I really don't think you'll have a problem. And people only have to know as much as you tell them. Go for what makes your heart happy and it right for you.
Lucille

Post by Lucille »

Thank you all so much!! This has been really helpful for me :) I still want to keep this open in terms of people still posting on it, though. This is a very good resource for Wiccans and Pagans looking to join the military.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Did you have specific type of assignment in mind, within the Coast Guard? Sometimes we're drawn to where we're needed, even if it seems incongruous to others.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Lucille

Post by Lucille »

I feel especially drawn to maritime enforcement. I need a job where I can protect others and not be sitting behind a desk.
Mikayla11

Post by Mikayla11 »

I read through the thread, some very interesting points of view here. I've never been in the military, but my thoughts are with you and I hope you find your path

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Lucille wrote:I feel especially drawn to maritime enforcement. I need a job where I can protect others and not be sitting behind a desk.
Have you explored deities that are associated with the water, and protection?
Daughter of Sekhmet
Lucille

Post by Lucille »

I know a few of them, such as Brizo, Palaemon, and Eurybia, but I need to learn more about their backgrounds.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”