Can any Candles be used?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
VenusRainn

Can any Candles be used?

Post by VenusRainn »

I feel like whenever I post an answer or question, that I need to explain I am a newbie in case I sound ignorant. So, be gentle if my question sounds absurd. :oops:

In the one book I have read, it talks about using candles in magic work. I was wondering if you needed to get specialty candles at places that are wiccan shops, or if you can just use your basic candle that you can pick up anywhere? Thank you much in advance.
Elem

Post by Elem »

I think the most important thing to understand is.. It's not so much the tools you're using for the spells / rituals.. It's how much of 'yourself' and your energy you put into them that controls if they work or not.

Whilst some shops might insist that their candles will make your spells '200% more efficient' :roll:, or some such similar nonsense, the truth is that spells work because you make them.. Not because of some candle :).

By all means, if you think it'll help you, go pick up some nice candles.. But, in the same way, if you're happy just using tealights.. It'll work just as well - So long as you believe it.

Just my two cents ;).

Elem

P.S. Don't ever feel absurd, ignorant or stupid for asking a question. It's the people that don't ask that're the foolish ones. We all have to start somewhere.. And willingness to ask questions is the best way to get started :).
VenusRainn

Post by VenusRainn »

Thanks! what you said makes sense. But it was something I was curious about. When I lived in a major city there was a place where I had bought some "specialty" items at before--however, they went out of buisness. And now that I live in a smaller town, which has no wiccan stores, I don't know where I would get "special" candles from now. Thanks again! :D
Ravenari

Post by Ravenari »

*bows to Elem*

I don't use candles anymore, but when I did, I used regular store-bought candles. The cheapies. If I wanted a particular colour, I would either paint it, or find the colour, or use white - which is a combination of all colours. :)

My Mum had a big thing when I was younger, about not burning in the candles in the house. It took me a while to realise that as long as I had strong intent, concentration, and good visualisation skills, I didn't even really need to candles in order to work my will. It's good to be versatile, and think laterally, and it's never wrong to do so.

I ask stupid questions all the time. :D And trust me, your question wasn't stupid. :D
Addalaide

Post by Addalaide »

I got some mini candles at a specilty store and there cute ( witch is kinda why i got them ) and there a little faster burning than the bigger taper candles witch is good if your parents dont want to "burn the house down" i try not to leave candles unatended but if its a larger taper candles and i have to leave, i really dont like to smother the flame to "turn it off" witch is why i think the little candles are better. but me personaly sence i dont go to that store much ( donno why its like 4 blocks away*ponders*) i just have a 5 doller bag of tea lights you can get at alot of stores in the usa i get them at doller tree(well like a bag of 10 is a doller there) walmart or old time pottery ( donno if any of the 3 are over in europ but walmart wont suprize me ). And i just use white ones, you can get colored ones but most the ones i have seen have a smell and smells kinda give me a headack.

And dont feel silly about asking a question thats what the forum is for! Hepling people....who ask for it!

~Addalaide
Merry Part
~Addalaide
Skylights

Post by Skylights »

Some people will say that candles made out of beeswax or specialty candles are more effective, but I think it's a lot of bunk. A candle sitting on the shelf at a witchcraft supply store can be exposed to everything that a candle at Wal-Mart would be exposed to.

Like Elem said, it's really you that is important, not the candles. If you feel like certain colors or shapes help you focus, then by all means, get them, but otherwise, your candles can come from anywhere.

I plan to try making my own candles soon, and if I notice a difference in their effectiveness, I'll reply to this post again and let you know.

And just like the ones above me, I'll say you're smart to ask questions rather than just blunder ahead. Don't be embarrassed! :wink:
[color=blue]*Skylights*[/color]

[color=green][i]"So if you don't rate,
just over-compensate...
The world loves wannabes,
so, hey hey, do that brand new thing."[/i][/color]
VenusRainn

Post by VenusRainn »

Thank you all! You are most helpful.
Lunacreek

Post by Lunacreek »

MM,
I've used candles bought from regular stores & they work fine for me. I've also used candles I made myself, to me the candles I made & used worked stronger & I think thats because as I made them I put my energies into them, but not everyone is in the position to make there own so to me using candles that are store bought work perfectly as I see it all goes to the intent you have.

Lunacreek
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Can any Candles be used?

Post by SpiritTalker »

Old post

The main difference in candles is burn time due to their size. A dinner table taper burns at about an inch an hour so a 10 inch candle is a good, long burn. or It can be sectioned for 1-hour timed burns for novenas. A chime candle lasts about 2 hours, & birthday cake candles about 15 minutes. Tea lights vary by thickness - 2-8 hours and votives burn 10-15 hours. Jar candles can burn continuously 5-7 days. Burn time helps you control the spell. The spell begins when the flame goes out & you want plenty of oomph behind it. Burn time equates to oomph.

The figure candles like cat, witch, human, cross, skull, pyramid each are symbolic just to help you focus your thoughts.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”