How to describe magick to non practitioners??

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
James122

How to describe magick to non practitioners??

Post by James122 »

A while ago I posted something on the forum about daily practise and since it's only been 6 months that I've considered myself a full practising Wiccan, I now have to explain to friends and family what Wicca is in more detail.
My family and friends are very accepting people, and they'll always accept me on whatever spiritual path I follow, but when I'm explaining Wicca to them and then comes the subject of magick, I get strange looks. I feel at that point people start to think of it not so seriously. I've tried to explain that magick isn't anything like the magick you see on stage or in movies but I still feel like I'm not explaning it right.
I've almost given up on the subject of magick all together when I explain it because I feel it's too difficult to get the point of magick across.
The other problem is when you try to explain it as natural energy because that's what magick is, energy, people still seem to me to be a bit confused with the whole topic.

I'm asking for any ideas or from any of your expiriences on how to explain magick without sounding like an idiot??
smogie_michele

Re: How to describe magick to non practitioners??

Post by smogie_michele »

When speaking with someone who is curious or skeptical of magic, I will often correlate spell work to "prayer with extra ingredients."

I'll explain that to me, magic is similar to other people praying for health, wealth, opportunities, etc. In prayer, you petition to a deity to help you obtain these things- when practicing spell work, you are doing the same thing- just with extra steps.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
Bychan Wulf

Post by Bychan Wulf »

You can explain the theory from physics which sais that everything is energy,including us.By meditating and grounding you get to know your inner self better and settle that energy. Everything we do,brings changes to the balance of the universe and it will soon have a reaction.(every action has a reaction with the same direction but a different orientation)=Threefold Law/Karma.
By praying,lighting candles,burning insence and chanting (or whatever you do when casting a spell) you interfere with the universe and it's energy,influencing your destiny and future events to get a pleasant outcome,a.k.a. the response of the universe/the reaction.
This way,people either understand your point or simply aggree with you in order not to seem ignorant. Either way,you sound intelectual and deadly serious about your practice. Plus that you give them some proof from science,that what you do and believe in,is true and serious. :wink:
"The strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack" - Rudyard Kippling ⛤
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

I use the terminology of the computer sciences. Writing a program, algorithm, programming languages, RAM memory and ROM memory and etc.

:)
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

smogie_michele wrote:When speaking with someone who is curious or skeptical of magic, I will often correlate spell work to "prayer with extra ingredients."

I'll explain that to me, magic is similar to other people praying for health, wealth, opportunities, etc. In prayer, you petition to a deity to help you obtain these things- when practicing spell work, you are doing the same thing- just with extra steps.
That's pretty much how I explain it.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Mind over Matter

Edit... magic is causing change to occur in accord with will.

Or if you don’t mind it don’t matter 🙃
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

You can let them know it's not like Harry Potter.
I had a gal that was going to join our group but was real disappointed that she couldn't make things fly with her wand.
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

Mental meander ahead...

To spit out the pith?

I ask myself 'why would I want to explain it to non-practitioners'? And then 'Why would they want me to explain'?

Do they want a neat box they can put it in. But it doesn't fit. Do they want to absolve themselves from any real personal effort or original thought. But it takes effort, focus and and practice.

No satisfaction can be found that way.

Do they want (perhaps even subconsciously) a stance to present either disbelief, mockery or counter argument. Or worse to cling to a belief unmeasured by reason? None of these things benefit them or you. Indeed they can be detrimental to either as there is no such thing as disbelief, only counter belief.

Is there in me a desire to be be understood? You can be respected but any swiftly afforded understanding or belief would be such a tissue thin creation it raises alarm bells - of ego collisions and faerie rings.

You could present your truths as wiff-waff or half-truths of course, as good (or cod) psychology, as cosmic ordering, as whatever creates the least waves and is the most digestable to them... But it has a bitter taste to it.

Would them believing be ultimately beneficial of harmful to their world view? Or your relationship?

Tread this minefield carefully.

------

If someone genuinely wants to understand I give them a book. If they read it... Y'know can actually be bothered to read it, digest it and come back with thoughts, disagreements (nothing worse then cud chewing belief) and questions... If they read between the lines and return with the wealth of genuine consideration... Then sure we can talk. If they don't want to try and learn something for themselves I don't waste my time or theirs showing them. Its diving the shallows and ultimately painful or futile.

So I dont describe magic to non-practitioners. I'm not 'hiring' or 'recruiting' either. If people ask for help and seem genuinely open to being helped, I will try my best to help - not explain how I helped and how it all works, because it all works better 'occulted'... Because when magic works its not grand or showy, except occasionally within the sphere of the practitioner - it could be absolutely anything or nothing at all - the sum zero; the fool. A happy accident - that vagueness is a whole serendippitous ocean to swim in.

But essencially its all still cave drawings: its still all really sympathetic magic, just with deep connections or more sophisticated coorespondances. That still doesn't explain what magic is.

-----
Certainty murders possibility.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

😁 I totally agree. That’s why I drink coffee
OdinsFreya

Post by OdinsFreya »

I always say Magick is energy...[emoji3589][emoji3589][emoji3589]
:fairy: 🔮🇧🇻 ODIN'S FREYA 🇧🇻🔮 :fairy:
SapphireRoad

Post by SapphireRoad »

I say if you listen to your emotions, more and more keenly, you become more sensitive.
If you become more sensitive, magical influence is pretty natural.
ᚩ ᚷ ᛒ (God and Goddess runes in union)

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”