Circle casting problems

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
October's Moon

Circle casting problems

Post by October's Moon »

I cast my first circle today and I think I did it wrong because I didn't feel connected to anything. I simply felt alone. I made 5 points of the pentacle with natural stones and opened the circle with the energies I had drawn and felt those energies and asked the God and Goddess to bless the circle but casting it I felt nothing. It's like all the energy fled. Am I doing something wrong?
*October's Moon*
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Circle casting problems

Post by SpiritTalker »

You cast your 1st circle, congratulations. And you felt something, even if it felt alone and empty of energy. That's good. You were aware of it. As far as connecting, or feeling connected...to what were you connecting? I'm unfamiliar with using the pentacle as 5 positions around the circle. What's your thinking on that?

I use the standard "squaring the circle" quarter-calling method (earth, air, fire, water) with the 4 cardinal compass positions N-E-S-W around the rim, and i stand in the center at the cross roads balance. It's like putting the 4 corners on a temple to hold my circle in place.

And for me, the actual casting is when I've pulled energy up from the Earth, and down from the stars into my belly, then point and push that energy like I'm blasting it into forming the rim. All I feel is warmth as it flows, sometimes not even that, just a tingle, or I'll see a mist and not feel it at all. Sometimes none of the above. I just "know" it's there by a spongy feel in my gut, or against the palms of my hands. It's very subtle at times.

Additionally, you might well, in your enthusiasm, have cast such a strong shield, that you sealed yourself up in it, making an absence of any outside interference to the max.
October's Moon

Post by October's Moon »

I was outdoors and the five points I found in research it may have been wrong though :(
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

No, it's not wrong. There are so many different ways to lay a circle. It depends on what it is for. So I just haven’t come across this one before. I assume each point is associated to 1 of the 5 elements. I'm willing to try new things. I love to experiment. I once channeled moonlight to lay a circle...I sadly can't recall what happened, so not one of my better ideas.

And being outside is more effective for connecting to nature, is what I was thinking, as you commented on not feeling connected.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I gave this some more thought. There are invoking ↙️⭐️and banishing ↗️⭐️pentagrams signs that we draw in the air. I have used an Earth invoking pentagram drawn in the air and facing north, to seal the circle after it's been drawn, to lock it down, so to speak.

Usually we square the circle by placing stones or invitational lights at the quarters ➕ N,E,S,W. This holds the circle in place.

A pentacle symbolizes all 5 elements and the 🌎 . Maybe laying 5 stones , which are of Earth element, in an Earth symbol ⭐️ grounds the energy?

Anyway, don't let yourself be discouraged because it wasn't what you anticipated. Learn and go on with your study and practice. As pilots say, any landing you can walk away from is a good landing. :mrgreen:
random417

Post by random417 »

In all honesty, the directions you draw the pentagrams in are mostly to speak to your mind. That said, there's a few options that have some history behind themImage
And also, if thats more than you want to mess with, using banishing earth versions for a circle casting has some bearing from the LBRP.

Really for a circle casting, it's another layer you can add, but i don't think it's required. Just thought I'd throw it out there
So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will.
Do that, and no other shall say nay.
For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect.
~AL 1:42-44
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

That is an awesome resource image, random417. Thanks.

Newbiewitch94
Banned Member

Post by Newbiewitch94 »

Also not everyone feels something straight away you have to let your guard down
Ethereal Moon Rose

Post by Ethereal Moon Rose »

I don't think you did anything wrong. When I cast a circle (or lay a compass round) I usually just feel a quiet sense of calm. Did you ground and centre yourself before you cast? This also helps me to feel energized.
October's Moon

Post by October's Moon »

How do you do that?
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

These are the basic first steps to be done before anything else. There are several references on the forum, so use the search function for more details, however...

In brief, grounding is anchoring your body's energy into the Earth by imagining you grow roots. Your spine is like the World Tree, uniting the upper, mundane and lower worlds. This connects you to your prime energy source, Mother Earth.

Centering is pulling your energy into your middle to stabilize yourself, often through steadying, deep breaths and focusing your attention inward. Picture the geophysical center of the circle, as if this were 3D *️⃣ with a north-south, east-west, above-below intersections within you. This gives you calming strength. It also helps you find your way back to the present moment of time and space if you "travel" out of body. So it's pretty useful.
Newbiewitch94
Banned Member

Post by Newbiewitch94 »

Also a little tip for grounding
You will know when your grounded because your legs will feel heavy at least in my experiance that's the case
Connorsmith4L

Post by Connorsmith4L »

I wouldn't say you did it wrong. As for me, everytime is different. Sometimes i will feel nothing, sometimes i will. When i have finished my spell, sometimes i will feel really tired after closing my circle, other times i will feel extremely awake and energetic. Each time is different

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”