Influence of food on spiritual abilities?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
silvergrey

Influence of food on spiritual abilities?

Post by silvergrey »

Blessed be,

I don't know if this is the right section in the forum, if not, please let me know :)
But: in the last year or so I've made efforts to eat healthier and I can tell my spiritual abilities have grown. It's easier for me to meditate or get into a trance, communicate with entities etc. I just feel more clear and focused.
If I do eat junk food (sue me, every now and then I crave pizza!) I notice that I'm a lot less "in touch" with my abilities, and when I have a vegan day I feel like my focus is better.
Does anybody else have this experience of the food you eat influencing your spiritual state?
corvidus

Re: influence of food on spiritual abilities?

Post by corvidus »

I absolutely agree! For my more intense rituals, I usually fast for at least a day.
TwilightDancer

Post by TwilightDancer »

Eating junk food in general makes me want to sit on the couch all day much less do any sort of magickal task. :lol: Luckily I'm a vegetarian and I have a gluten intolerance so my options are pretty limited.
Lady stir your cauldron well, chant your words and sing your spell
Come and taste of the cauldron's brew and magic she will give to you

TwilightDancer's Book of Shadows
silvergrey

Post by silvergrey »

I'm a long time vegetarian as well, but I'd need to go vegan to cut out all of the junk!
Funny how food makes a difference!
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Great topic! I think there are so many ways in which one can use food to influence our spiritual abilities (and a few folks upthread have already mentioned some of these):

- "Clean eating" (i.e. cutting out as much fast food and processed foods as possible) has been said to enhance spiritual abilities and communications, in addition to making you healthier in general.

- You can eat seasonal foods in order to become more attuned to the Wheel of the Year.

- You can eat local foods in order to become more attuned to your local area and your spirits of place.

- Fasting is another way. It was customary in some cultures to fast before rituals, in order to make them more receptive to spiritual influences. One can also fast as a way to show devotion to a deity, as a form of sacrifice. Fasting does not have to mean you completely abstain from all food -- people who observe Ramadan still eat after sundown, for instance. You can also choose to, say, go vegetarian temporarily as a fast.

- There are some foods that you can eat in order to feel closer to a deity or a power. For instance, one can eat cornbread in order to honor the sacrifice of the God around Lammas or Mabon. I imagine that eating pomegranate seeds could be a way to connect to Persephone.

- "Magical Diet": I was introduced to this term through Scott Cunningham's book, Wicca in the Kitchen. He has suggestions for what foods to eat in order to manifest your will. For instance, if you were in need of protection, you could eat more foods with garlic and onions. Similarly, if you wanted to invoke certain energies, such as bringing more fire energy into your life, you might want to stick to "fire" or "sun" foods like chili peppers, squash, or sunflower seeds.

- Of course there are a million recipes out there for manifesting specific desired outcomes, such as foods for abundance, healing, etc. You can find some of our members' contributions to those on our Potions and Food & Recipes.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

Xiao Rong, it looks like you've researched this before!
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Thanks, Corvidus! I've given it some thought, haha. I love food and spirituality, so I've done some research on kitchen witchcraft. I can't say I've tried all of those techniques, so I'm curious to hear what other people have experienced & other ideas about connecting food and spirituality. I do heartily recommend Wicca in the Kitchen as a starting point; I know some people have mixed opinions on Scott Cunningham, but he delves into a lot of different aspects of food and has a lot of great recipes I want to try ; )
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

When I "discovered" roasted veggies, there was no turning back!
ZippyZoo

Post by ZippyZoo »

SpiritTalker wrote:When I "discovered" roasted veggies, there was no turning back!
What spices do you use for roasted veggies? I feel like incorporating this would help on my clarity of mind and greatly aid my spiritual path. I have trouble with healthy eating and I know what I feed my body does have an effect on... Everything! kitchen witchery is powerful stuff.
hermitage

Post by hermitage »

I find that the traditional indian/east asian diet of vegetarian, no eggs, onion and garlic helps my focus a great deal vs the days I eat meat.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Foodism and Spiritualism

I'm glad you guys are having this foodie chat! ; ) One of my favorite subjects, too. I'd say for sure there is a direct connection between diet and spirituality. I wrote the Find Balance post many years ago because I was shocked at how peoples' eating and lifestyle habits was affecting them mentally, and therefore spiritually. As I describe in the post, people would be experiencing things they would try to attribute to spiritual issues, but I would empathically feel really bad health just reeking energetically from them (yes, I and other mods can sometimes feel your spiritual state and other things about your lives when you all post here unfortunately --a curse really, TMI, lol) so I knew they weren't well. It was intriguing they made no connection between their dietary habits and their health.

I'd ask them what they ate in a typical day and long story short they were simultaneously starving and poisoning themselves. What little food they were eating was toxic junk that just sat in their colons (akin to poison administered in a minutely sloowww drip, year after year). So, I wrote that long, winding post hoping it might save a life or two. That was six years ago and not much changes...I'm often still advising the same thing: http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... ml#p253291 I don't know if people are taught in school that what affects you physically, affects you mentally (and therefore spiritually) and they're just not paying attention, or what...haha, I know I didn't pay attention to nutrition teachings in school. I had to learn the hard way when I got out on my own, that's why I'm so gung-ho about it now. Sometimes pain is the best teacher, lol. :)

Beans, Beans the Magical Fruit...

Now beans are a tour de force, superfood as far as nutrition and physical/spiritual grounding goes, that get side-lined, if not ignored. In my opinion they are the ultimate spiritual food. Allow me to sing their praises...

Beans will never bore you (tired of the beans you're eating? switch cuisines/switch recipes, like go from a Mexican menu this week, to a Middle Eastern one next week, then do Italian the next after that...all cuisines feature beans!). They are common to every cuisine, so there is no limit to the gajillion ways they could be prepared.

They are rich in protein and could serve as a meat substitute. They are full of fiber so not only will your body feel full and satisfied which adds to peace of mind, but your colon will get a good, regular cleansing which will remove toxins that naturally embed themselves in the folds of your intestines (old, undigested food, the bugs that feed on it, etc.). Beans help clear this detritus, which naturally increases peacefulness in body and mind.

Beans seem to be a "cleaner" food than meat. I immediately noticed a difference in how I felt because I wasn't ingesting hormones and the gods know whatever else the meat industry injects into those poor cows and chickens. Unless you raise and eat your own livestock, you really don't know what's been done to those animals before they get to your dinner table. I have really felt the difference since cutting back on meat eating beans more frequently.

They are way cheaper than meats as you will see a substantial difference on your grocery bill if you substitute bean dishes a few nights a week for a few meat dishes you eat now. Unlike meat, beans don't require refrigeration, so they are easier to store. You can stockpile them in jars, bags, etc. The bean jars actually look kind of pretty. I recycle those huge, glass pickle jars, wash 'em out, and fill 'em up with beans!

An example...

The Meditteranean area brings us hummus, a delicious dish made fro m the humble garbanzo bean. Dip veggies in it, slap it in some pita or sliced bread for a sandwich, or just dip your fingers in a bowl of it and lick it like a barbarian...doesn't matter as long as you enjoy this versatile food. Note: I am not to be left alone in a location with a bowl of hummus anywhere on the premises, as I will not be responsible for my actions.
hummus.jpg
Photo source: http://smarterfitter.com/hummus-with-zaatar/

(make your own: hummus recipes)

And there many other examples, from every culture, of tasty, versatile dishes that could be made from some sort of bean. If you don't like beans, make yourself like them (I did; I didn't like beans at all growing up). If you do like beans, make more of them!

That's my two cents. :wink:

silvergrey

Post by silvergrey »

Thanks Xiao Rong and Kassandra! Certainly food for thought and some new things to try out for me :)
Raven At Heart
Banned Member

Post by Raven At Heart »

Leave it to Xiao to take food down the Daoist path. I don't even know if Xiao practices Daoist magicks but I see a recurring theme of it from whatever she types. From Chinese coins of prosperity, to Chinese deities, all the way to the wheel of seasons. that being said, Xiao is entirely right. On a more basic level. The trinity.

Healthy body effects a healthy mind effects a healthy spirit. all 3 effect each other while we still have our physical bodies. This is because they are intertwined. An imbalance in any can cause the whole system to go out of wack. The spirit is connected to the body through the chakras. The mind through the brain. and the spirit is connected to the mind through links as well. The only mortal part is the body after all. After that dies the mind merges into the spirit and stores all memories in the spirit. Then comes possible reincarnation or intermission then reincarnation. Its why it is somewhat easy to remember our past lives. The memories and wisdom are all stored in the soul. Which leads to natural talents and affinities that come from past lives, as each past life is an extension of the spirit. even past lives magickal skills affect and help present magickal practice.

In short, a healthy mind body and spirit magnify and focus each other,
I'm a spiteful, hateful, venomous creature, a pupil with no scruples who's no better then my teacher. Also not actually a raven.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Raven At Heart wrote:Leave it to xiao to take food down the Daoist path. I don't even know if Xiao practices Daoist magicks but I see a recurring theme of it from whatever she types. From Chinese coins of prosperity, to Chinese deities, all the way to the wheel of seasons.
Haha, I don't exactly practice Daoist magic (well, I do practice tai chi, but not Daoist sorcery or alchemy), but I'm Chinese-American and I've done some exploration of Chinese folk religion. Perhaps this is a conversation suited to another thread, but of course Chinese folk religion and magical practices are all very much intermingled with Daoism, Buddhism, shamanism, etc., with few clear distinctions. It does seem to influence my path much more than I expect it to, lol. (for Mabon, I'm planning on sharing a Chinese myth with my circle!).

I like what you said about the Trinity -- healthy mind, body, spirit. Our spirituality can influence our diets, and visa versa.
Raven At Heart
Banned Member

Post by Raven At Heart »

Xiao Rong wrote:
Raven At Heart wrote:Leave it to xiao to take food down the Daoist path. I don't even know if Xiao practices Daoist magicks but I see a recurring theme of it from whatever she types. From Chinese coins of prosperity, to Chinese deities, all the way to the wheel of seasons.
Haha, I don't exactly practice Daoist magic (well, I do practice tai chi, but not Daoist sorcery or alchemy), but I'm Chinese-American and I've done some exploration of Chinese folk religion. Perhaps this is a conversation suited to another thread, but of course Chinese folk religion and magical practices are all very much intermingled with Daoism, Buddhism, shamanism, etc., with few clear distinctions. It does seem to influence my path much more than I expect it to, lol. (for Mabon, I'm planning on sharing a Chinese myth with my circle!).

I like what you said about the Trinity -- healthy mind, body, spirit. Our spirituality can influence our diets, and visa versa.
I couldn't agree more.
I'm a spiteful, hateful, venomous creature, a pupil with no scruples who's no better then my teacher. Also not actually a raven.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”