Wearing a Wiccan Pentacle Necklace In Public?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Ravenfeather

Wearing a Wiccan Pentacle Necklace In Public?

Post by Ravenfeather »

Hello!
So, I recently have bought a wiccan necklace and today was the first day that I wore it. So far, no one has commented on it, but I don't know when people will start questioning me about it.
How should I deal with people who plan on hurting me/spreading hate because of it?
I am grateful for any help! :D

Blessed be!
-Ravenfeather
☯"Look at the whole world around you with glittering eyes, because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it."☯
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Wearing a Wiccan Pentacle Necklace In Public?

Post by SpiritTalker »

Never defend, that plays their game. Instead, tell them "to each their own." Repeat as needed. It is possible that you may be over-anticipating other people's interest; but, if you truly believe you know someone who would hurt you over a piece of jewelry, or because your beliefs are different from theirs, tuck it inside your shirt rather than provoke harm or even just an ugly encounter.
Last edited by SpiritTalker on Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Soften
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

Everyone is either mature or immature. You'll be able to tell. The immature ones aren't worth the energy. The mature ones are legitimately curious.

If they want to condemn you for your beliefs, they're immature.
Myrth

Post by Myrth »

Whether you are in or out of the broom closet is entirely up to you. Can rumors of your spirituality harm you? That depends on many things, including your area, age, career (or not), family situation, etc. Some people are deep in the closet, allowing no one in on the secret due to fears of what people will do. Some let trusted people in on it but are not publicly out. Others are completely out of the closet.

There are still hate crimes against witches. There is still discrimination in hiring and promotion. Some families will shun / disown a witch. Some friends will too. Some areas are safer for witches than others.

I hope your coming out goes well for you.
Myrth
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Hold your head high and don't let the haters get you down. Back yourself up with the Constitution. Or just tell the annoying ones that you like it, and you'll continue to wear it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with exploring your spirituality.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
shadoweave

Post by shadoweave »

Flow positive energy back, "this? Oh I just got it I love it!", "Oh I can't see why you wouldn't like it." "No worries each to their own" and if that fails pull out a baseball bat and beat manners into them (just kidding)
Oakheart

Post by Oakheart »

I occasionally wear a consecrated pentagram necklace, for its banishing properties. The only scrutinizing look I've ever received was from a podiatrist I was seeing for my foot.
Student of Rosicrucianism, Neoplatonism & Hermetic Kabbalah.
Etbonusmalum

Post by Etbonusmalum »

I've had this experience recently. Work my pentacle necklace to work. I see people wearing their religious pieces to work all the time. Of course, people saw it, but didn't say anything. I felt a sense of relief because I was sure I'd get a rude comment.
I actually discovered my boss has a best friend who is wiccan, so she was intrigued to discover I practice the Craft.
WiccanWitch

Post by WiccanWitch »

I had drawn a triple goddess on my wrist in purple and I'm a nurse so people SEE my wrists. Nobody commented but I know people looked.
SunshineEyes

Post by SunshineEyes »

I just noticed this thread and wanted to share my experience as a Solitary Wiccan-in-training. I wear a sterling silver pentagram necklace with a scrying stone attached to the back of it. It also has the Wiccan alphabet engraved around the pentagram. A lot of people have been curious towards seeing me wear the necklace. I sometimes get a little nervous when they comment on it, but luckily have not had anyone say anything negative about it. I have had to hide it when talking to certain people, but for good reason. I am getting more confident about wearing it publicly now, but am still a bit uncertain about letting my family know about my new beliefs. My mom and siblings know that I show a lot of interest in Wicca, but we all have to keep quiet about it when it comes to a friend of my mom. So I am understanding being nervous when it comes to simply wearing Wiccan jewelery in public.
MandzyQ

Post by MandzyQ »

I have a Wiccan necklace from when I got interested 2 years ago. It's pretty noticeable especially since the chain is made of string. My mom noticed that I was wearing it. Ever since she has been trying to get me away from anything Wiccan. My friend commented on it in school and after telling them I was Wiccan (in training of course), they all thought it was pretty cool. I'm very happy that crazy rumors aren't going around. haha.
MandzyQ :)
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

Respectfully explain what it is and why you wear it. If someone refuses to listen at that point, you should just ignore them. At the same time, keep in mind that the general public has very little knowledge of the occult, witchcraft, or Wicca other than what they see in pop culture. If you openly practice any religion you can expect persecution from someone somewhere.

I live in an area where my ideas aren't accepted by a somewhat sizable population, so I refrain from wearing my jewelry for that reason. Never even tried to wear any in public.

If you're employed, I'd recommend not wearing it at work. Even if your employer is okay with the jewelery, he can't ignore the perceptions of his customers.
Zombiedaisy

Post by Zombiedaisy »

I have a pentacle necklace I pair with a quartz crystal necklace all the time. I've never had anyone say anything to me but I've gotten a few weird looks. I ignore them. I hold my head high and put a smile on my face, continue to be polite and go about my business. I will say I was a bit nervous the first time I wore it around my husband as I didn't know how he would react. As a teenager my parents took anything Wiccan related of mine and burned it. I lost everything until recently when I choose to do what I felt was best for my spiritual journey. When he saw me with my pentacle necklace on a few weeks back his face lit up and he said "that looks just like the one you had when we were kids.i like it" I have yet to wear it in front of family however because of how they reacted years ago.... Not sure how that one will go down but I wear it in public almost daily with no issue.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I had a pentacle necklace in my early days in Wicca and the only comments I had was favorable, by a man who recognized it's meaning & some questions on its meaning while standing in check-out at the grocery. I have had mixed comments about crystal jewelry, but just let the nasty cracks go, or say my beliefs aren't up for discussion. Lunkheads bore me and although I wish them merrily on their way, I don't have the patience to deal with judge-mentalism. Sincere inquiry however is a whole different avenue of exchange and quite enjoyable.
Danek

Post by Danek »

Not to plug a shop (Everything I've bought there has been awesome!) themoonlightshop.com has specific metal to protect against anyone who has reactions to metal on their skin. I have 2 necklaces from them and I love them.

For me I leave my necklace under my shirt at work and when I'm out I leave it out (ESPECIALLY when we go to the river or outdoors in general) I don't know I'll ever wear one of my pentacle necklaces in front of my family but my boyfriend and my friends don't care about the necklace lol. I constantly read this thread all the time because I do (to an extent) fear how people may react to it but I just need to stop thinking about it so the focus is off of it lol.

-Danek

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”