Science and Spirituality

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
warman2012

Science and Spirituality

Post by warman2012 »

Greetings. I am Warman2012. The topic for this thread is a general discussion prompt about science and the supernatural. First off, let me say that I am mostly Atheist with a bit of appreciation for conspiracy theories. That said, I wanted to know the consensus on how magic and related points could possibly correlate with the latest science of quantum mechanics and the like. I had always been interested ever since I heard that auras could be possibly recorded on special cameras and also about possible measurements of strange phenomena involved in ghost hauntings.

With this in mind, please feel free to discuss and share any information that would be meaningful to this topic.
YanaKhan

Re: Science and Spirituality

Post by YanaKhan »

Hello, warman2012.

Please go to the top section of the forum and introduce yourself. Thank you!
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I've seen Kirlian Photography pics of auras, and had one taken of myself. while many people's images showed bands and arcs of 1 dominant color and a secondary band, mine looked like I had three purple tinted feathers projecting from the crown of my head, with blotches of greens and blues around the shoulders, and some yellow.

This was at a new age fair, and the gal who interpreted the photos said mine showed I'd done my spiritual homework. I had just left my relationship with a convent a few weeks before, so I'd say she got it right.

I'm not a scientist by any means but I am interested in the science of the Craft. I am psychic and have had some UFO experiences while fully conscious. I am especially intrigued by orgone energy, and feel that this is the stuff we use everyday, just to weave our lives with our thoughts and attitudes, and expectations and use it unconsciously. We use it consciously when we do magic.

I know from experience that things are not as we are told, and that much is kept from the public by the powers that be.
Katrinkah

Science and Spirituality

Post by Katrinkah »

I'm totally down with conspiracy theories <3 Have you ever heard of the Corey Goode? David Wilcock? The "Sphere Being Alliance"? The "Intergalactic Corporate Conglomerate"? Maybe you don't wanna go down that rabbit hole. Lol.

Actually, now that I think about it David Wilcock also has a show called "Wisdom Teachings" that has a lot of underground (for lack of a better word) science that really ties in how magic is actually scientifically possible. Some of the stuff is pretty mind blowing, and is actually public knowledge but just hasn't been in the media or in our education system so is not widespread. There is definitely an episode on orgone energy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jaybirdblue

Post by jaybirdblue »

*Cracks knuckles* Oh boy this is gonna be a long one eheheh

First of all, I'm not a scientist, but I am a student in a medical science field. Im also a huge nerd. Anyway, the thing about science is that it depends on testing and data, particularly REPLICABLE testing that produces consistent data. Supernatural and paranormal things tend to well...defy testing in their nature. If you could test it and replicate it it would just be, well, natural and normal. Thats not to say that things that are now considered supernatural cant be proven or dis proven by science...its just that they wouldn't be supernatural anymore. Get it?

Unfortunately, as far as quantum mechanics and things similar to that, I have pretty much have little to no knowledge to share just because I havent studied it. And the only energy waves I know about are sonogram, X-ray, microwave, and radio waves, but Ill be happy to rant about what I know ;D

As far as extraterrestrials go, I think anyone who is into science and has any kind of idea about the vastness of the universe believes that other intelligent species exist out there SOMEWHERE. Its just a matter of whether they have ever made any kind of contact with earth, which is still up for debate. But for the love of all that is good in this world DO NOT watch Ancient Aliens for their opinion on this because your brain will literally melt from their terribleness.

Now, to my favorite topic, ghosts. I LOATHE when people talk about the "science" behind ghost hunting because they clearly have no idea what the scientific method even IS. And I want to remind you that this is coming from someone who BELIEVES in ghosts. A lot of people who do ghost hunting will tell you about the "science" of ghost hunting, but a lot of it is just catching a blip on the screen or a strange noise might be something, and then just immediately using that to prove what they already thought was true. In this case that X location was haunted. That's not how testing works. Really what they're doing is looking for anomalies, for data, really. BUT in science you don't just go "LOOK A COOL THING! IT MUST MEAN THIS!" and then everyone claps and believes you. You have to produce LOTS of data under really strict confines with as few external factors as possible, that you can replicate (meaning that every time you ask a question or do X thing, you get the same answer or similar answer) and THEN you get to make a statement on what you think it is. And then you TEST IT. And if the results of that test support your hypothesis, you record it, you let other people see it and test it themselves. That's where that whole, peer review thing comes from. But that has never happened with ghosts. Either because A) ghosts arent real B) ghost hunters like to scare themselves more than they like "science" or c) we don't have enough good data or a good enough understanding of what is happening to even test it or even GET reliable data. You have to remember, its theories to suit facts not facts to suit theories.

On top of just the issue of the whole trade of ghost hunting is that most of the time, people dont know what the hell they're doing. What happens a lot of the time is that something odd comes up on cameras or audio devises that they cant explain right away so, the answer is ghosts. I think a big indicator of this is that the vast majority of people who work with sound and video tech for ghost hunting aren't sound technicians by trade. If you don't know the technology and the marks of the trade, then its easy to pick up what you THINK is anomalous activity that is really just background noise or some kind of interference. We need more experts in the field of sound and video technicians than we do experts in ghost hunting when it comes to paranormal investigation.

One last thing is the history of paranormal investigation and most predominant paranormal photography (and yes this includes aura photography too), is that it has a LONG history of hoaxes. Just google "ectoplasm" and you will see some of the comically bad hoax photography of the early 1900's and loads of people BELIEVED this. Think about now and how much technology has improved now and how many MORE hoaxes there are out there and you can imagine why any reputable scientist wouldn't touch anything with the word "ghost" or "spirit" in it with a twenty foot pole.

So, my main point is that, ghosts dont really have a proven scientific explanation. And if we ever find one, its going to have to come with a lot of actual concrete work. Plenty of people have spiritual explanations in terms of residual energy and that they are on a plane of the afterlife but, thats not science. That is spirituality, feeling, and faith. Remember, I BELIEVE in ghosts, I just have a problem with people calling things that arent science...science.
Katrinkah

Post by Katrinkah »

Good point. But the Wisdom Teachings show doesn't talk about ghost at all. It talks about physics, quantum physics, sacred geometry, DNA, ect... All of which have been studied by scientist that have recreated their experiments and all that jazz.

jaybirdblue

Post by jaybirdblue »

Oh, sorry Katrinkah, I wasn't responding to your comment. I was responding to the first post by the OP. I don't know anything about the wisdom teachings show so I can't comment on any of it.
Katrinkah

Post by Katrinkah »

Oh. Okie dokie :)

SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Absolutely agree on what science is and isn't, especially in the paranormal field. In the 70's i studied with a medium that wanted to establish some kind of repeatable testing. She and the Bell Lab scientist she worked with were using a standard lie detector to record each of the spirits she worked with, and the readings were consistent enough to imply that each entity was recognizable. That simple study just gets lost in the shuffle. T he guy did go on to write in science journals and stuff. I sadly cannot remember his name. Stanley T-something. Not important after this long, they're both dead.

Yes, I've heard of the Intergalactic Corporate Conglomeration. I assume we were kicked off the moon and already time travel and probably have bases on Mars and who knows where else? T he last time I saw a UFO was May 21, 2013 and it was a big flat triangle that cloaked on a sunny, clear day. I felt like it was ours, you know, of terrestrial origin. but feelings and isolated sightings aren't science. sigh. They ought to be.
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

warman2012 wrote:That said, I wanted to know the consensus on how magic and related points could possibly correlate with the latest science of quantum mechanics and the like.
Forget the conspiracy theories. Those are mindless babble. If you want a strong connection between the mundane and the magickal, study metaphysical philosophies and the natural principles hiding in alchemical texts.

Stop conforming to the beliefs of others.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”