Am I Burning Too Much Sage?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Vesca

Re: Too much sage?

Post by Vesca »

Kateland, we would love a chance to get to know you! Tell us a bit about yourself in the introductions section. :)

I personally don't burn sage anymore, and when I did I only did it on about a monthly basis or whenever things got particularly "gunked up" around my home.

There are two parts to cleansing: cleaning out the negativity and inviting in the positivity. Have you been inviting in the positive every time you smudge? That could create an imbalance.

Also, inhaling too much smoke can mess with your body's functioning to some extent or another. So make sure that if you're smudging yourself, you aren't inhaling the smoke from the sage.
Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

There are other things you can do that are not sage and it will keep your air quality from getting funky. Apple cider vinegar in a cup on every room (change monthly), charms, wards, mundane cleaning, music, sweeping with a besom. If you are burning a lot keep a window open. Most cleaning can be one on the full moon or once a month and then when you have had a bad day or time. Also ritual baths help too.
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

Hello Land of Kate
Kateland wrote:Hello, I'm Kateland. I'm new to this board. :)

Has anyone had a problem with burning too Much sage? Or with cleansing negative energy too much? I went through a little phase where I was smudging almost everyday and when I stopped, I found myself plagued with anxiety/depressive thoughts. Can burning too much sage cause your immune system against negative energy to decrease, so to speak? To the point wher even the slightest energy can through you off?
It's possible you could have been around the sage enough that the 'cleansed' external environmental energy began removing emotional blockages in your own internal environment.

I use sage and sometimes other incense during yoga. I breath the incense into every cell with the intention that, when I breath out, it cleanses them.

Basically analogous to the second law of thermodynamics, where the energy of two systems will eventually reach a balance point/equilibrium.
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Post by RosieMoonflower »

corvidus wrote:Hello Land of Kate
Kateland wrote:Hello, I'm Kateland. I'm new to this board. :)

Has anyone had a problem with burning too Much sage? Or with cleansing negative energy too much? I went through a little phase where I was smudging almost everyday and when I stopped, I found myself plagued with anxiety/depressive thoughts. Can burning too much sage cause your immune system against negative energy to decrease, so to speak? To the point wher even the slightest energy can through you off?
It's possible you could have been around the sage enough that the 'cleansed' external environmental energy began removing emotional blockages in your own internal environment.

I use sage and sometimes other incense during yoga. I breath the incense into every cell with the intention that, when I breath out, it cleanses them.

Basically analogous to the second law of thermodynamics, where the energy of two systems will eventually reach a balance point/equilibrium.
This is similar to what I was going to say. I think in everything, no matter what you try, there is a natural balance. So you may have been smudging so much the balance is off. Unfortunately, not everything can be positive and happy all the time.

Also, if you are looking for other ways to cleanse, I use a small crystal bell. The sound will remove any negative energies. :)

Rosie
dualhands

Post by dualhands »

When I cleanse my study with sage; whenever I deem appropriate. I often leave a small offering dish of rocksalt out to absorb any minor fluctuations of negative energy during the period between smudges. I also like to charge a quartz crystal with positive intentions and place it in a focal point of the room. That seems to help a lot, atleast in my workings.
diligentibus te dilectio qua dilexisti me , sic fiat

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”