Does Intolerance Make You Mad?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Aesiryth

Does Intolerance Make You Mad?

Post by Aesiryth »

Hello everyone,

So I'm fairly new to the forum and Wicca, but I've been wondering about this for quite some time. Does it make anyone mad or frustrated how some Wiccans tell others to "come out of the broom closet" and make it sound so easy, but in actuality it's really hard. Especially with the amount of Christians literally demonizing Wicca. I, for one, definitely can't "come out of the broom closet" for multiple reasons including the fact that I attend a Christian private school. Now I do admit I have told two people, but they were understanding about it and are close friends, but that's not the point. My point is, does it make anyone else mad that there is still this fear of Wicca from a lot (but not all) Christians? When I showed one of the two people I just mentioned my pentacle, first thing (I kid you not, first thing) they said was "that's a satan symbol". I've meditated about it and tried to make it not bug me too much, but I was just wondering if anyone felt the same.

Thanks for reading,
-Aesiryth
"At the center of your being you have the answer;
You know who you are and what you want."

-Lao Tzu
Veronica_Rose

Re: Does it make you mad?

Post by Veronica_Rose »

There's freedom of religion, but there's also the freedom to be stupid, ignorant meanies. >.<

People don't like what they don't understand or what's different. And then (most of them) don't even make an effort to learn and understand others beliefs and viewpoints. They continue to judge and criticize and hate, most likely for the rest of their lives, and may unfortunately pass their ignorance onto their children, unless they break the cycle and decide to open their minds to the idea of differences.

Unfortunately, since 9/11 and all the stuff going on in the middle east, Muslims (or anyone who just looks middle eastern) in the U.S. are also undergoing a plight of prejudice and discrimination, and I feel awful for them as well. It's the extremest who strap bombs to themselves, or blow up buildings in the the name of their God, and it's downright wrong, making the rest of them look bad.

People will always make other people mad, and irritated. I know it's hard to come out of the broom closet. I'm still in the broom closet. My parents are Catholic and I go to a Catholic high school. When I was 13 or 14, my dad caught me looking at Wiccan websites because we shared a computer, and I got into some deep sh*t about it. If I want to try to keep my relationship with them, I don't think I can even come out to them. However, my boyfriend is very understanding thankfully, and is also slightly interested in these kind of studies.

You just do you. It's completely understandable that you can't come out yet. But, one day, when you're living out on your own, you should think about being proud to be Pagan/Wiccan and not hide it from strangers. Who cares what they'll think, because you shouldn't. If they ask about your religious beliefs, or if you're wearing a Pentacle and ask about that, try to explain it. That's what I'm planing to do! You may get grief for it from some, but to the people who listen respectfully, you'll quickly mini-educate someone for the betterment of the Pagan community.

I wish you the best of luck on your spiritual path. On these forums, you're never alone! :)
Brightest Blessings xx
((Sorry, I really tend to ramble!... >.<))
"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns,
or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses."

Brightest Blessings xx Veronica Rose
cloverfox

Post by cloverfox »

I can't say this is something that has ever made me mad, but I've never felt pressured by it either.

I kind of just do what I want when I think it's appropriate or when I'm comfortable. Most people in my life just kind of KNOW about my path and don't judge me or say anything about it or it just doesn't matter to them. Unfortunately, not as many people are as lucky as me to have grown up in such an accepting environment. In a way I think I'm kind of spoiled to have been from a place where for the most part I haven't faced religious persecution or felt I've had to worry about it.

Of course I say do what is right for you and what feels most comfortable in your life.
Seraphin
Location: EUTM's dungeon, keeping a dragon egg in a pot over a fireplace!

Post by Seraphin »

It doesn't make me upset anymore because I'm not sharing anymore unless I was ask because honestly, I have gotten burned while sharing my experiences with some folks.

It would be nice if some of those folks would learn how to value themselves without knocking other people down to get there. While I do understand that some are motivated by their belief that those who don't ride their particular bandwagon are destined to eternal damnation, even so, why doesn't it occur to them that the way to win people over doesn't include insulting them? Sometimes, religious beliefs tend to bring out the worst in people.

That's why I am more selective about who I talked to...
Seraphin

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
Aesiryth

Post by Aesiryth »

Thanks for the input guys. It doesn't necessarily make me mad either, but it still frustrates me and I don't think it ever won't. The only thing that really matters is that the people that I open up to are understanding enough to accept it, and if they don't oh well haha. But seriously, thanks again for the responses you guys brought up some really good points.
"At the center of your being you have the answer;
You know who you are and what you want."

-Lao Tzu
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

It does make me mad and upset that some people will "demonize" Wicca and other Pagan faiths. Now, I don't let it bother me but because of this idea I do not hide my beliefs. The ONLY time I ever did was when I had to work for a few months at a Catholic nursing home because I was in dire need of their higher pay at that point in time.

Now, however, I make it a mission to never lie about what I believe. That's partially due to the fact that I work with the fae and they do not like lying. The rest, however, is that I will not lie about myself. Let me STRESS that this is my PERSONAL BELIEF. (: I do not want others to model me if they would suffer from rejection in negative ways. I just made the personal choice long ago that if someone doesn't like me for what I believe, then I do not need them in my life. That is why I do not hide in the broom closet and if the topic of what I believe comes up, I do share.

Now, the extent of what I share with my beliefs I do tend to limit sometimes unless someone is genuinely curious. Otherwise, I do say I'm Pagan.

Once again, this is just me! I personally think that part of the stigma is due to how we hide and that others feel if we are hiding it then there is something negative about it. Others don't realize that we hide it because they won't accept it. It's my hope that if I'm open and positive with what I believe then others will become more accepting.

That's just my personal opinion and two cents on the matter. I am by no means bashing others who choose to remain in the "broom closet". Some things work better for others, as they say! (: I know I have a differing view than others do and thought I'd weigh in.
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
Thistle

Post by Thistle »

Oi, computers. Here we go again....lol

I don't get mad really, frustrated sometimes. I don't really hide, but I don't really shout. I think of myself as somewhat in the broom closet, but it's not really dark. I've got my candles. I feel beliefs are a very personal thing, and it's not really anyone's business. I don't lie, I just....avoid the discussion. Like with my mother, I will probably never tell her. Her reaction to when I wanted to join a church at 17 (and that was still Christian) that she didn't agree with, plus some other examples over the years....I think she's better off not knowing. Especially after losing my sister, I just don't think she'd handle it well. I just avoid the topic really. I carefully choose my words when it comes to it, so I don't make her think about it. She already knows I'm not really religious anymore.

Depending on who I'm talking to, I'll say spiritual or pagan. Some people are actually interested in it. I have a couple gamer friends who know, that I will discuss it with sometimes. They don't care. I understand not wanting to be open. Especially if your a teen. My mother wasn't even that religious when I was a teen, but enough that it made me scared to learn more when I first wanted to. Now I live with my bf, who is agnostic, and very supportive. He was willing to go back to church with me if I had wanted...he's probably happy I didn't. lol The closet doesn't have to be a bad place *hands out candles* It can be quite comfy while you wait until you can be more open. :)
Blackthorn

Post by Blackthorn »

Being in school can be hard, since it is such an isolated environment. You might try to ignore someone but there they are in your class for the next semester, year, four years, etc. When I was in high school, I mostly kept my paganism to myself. I told one person, and I even gave her a Rider-Waite tarot deck because she seemed like she'd be interested. But we were never close, never hung out after school- so I still felt like I was very alone.

These days if people ask about my religion (which does not happen often)- I just say either I'm spiritual or I'm agnostic (if what I'm trying to convey is I don't subscribe to Abrahamic belief systems- I usually use this line when people ask about a tattoo on my arm that can easily be misinterpreted as Catholic). I rarely tell people I don't know very well that I'm pagan, because I'm just not interested in explaining my spiritual path to anyone.

Once you get out of school, things open up a bit more and it's easier to avoid these types of people. I also think it depends on where you live. I live in a liberal, multi-cultural city where people just don't care what others do.
seawitch

Post by seawitch »

I'm not Wiccan or Pagan (I'm more spiritual), but yes it does make me upset when people demonize Wicca or Paganism. They sometimes even demonize other religions. I don't think it's anyone's place to tell someone else what they should believe in, or say that their religion or spiritual beliefs are wrong. I, like Thistle says, don't really hide but I don't shout either. Only some people in my life know I practice magic. I do wear a pentacle bracelet, but other than that, I don't really walk around telling people.
Binglian

Post by Binglian »

It does make me mad if that person is trying to act all powerful and all knowledgeable about the situation. If that person is just being helpful, I would be okay with that. But some people on the internet can be extremely arrogant and careless about others' situations and background, which kind of upset me. It is not easy to come out of the broom closet. Even my friend who said she tolerant any religions still acts a bit hesitated when she saw my altar. Of course I didn't tell her anything, but not everyone is able to accept everything even when they thinks they could.
mangosandy82

Post by mangosandy82 »

I think my dad would flip out if I told him I am a Wiccan. He raised me to be a Christian. He is one of those bible thumpers. He was raised Baptist. They are very strict. My dad and my whole family believes "What ever is not of God is demonic." That is what I was taught and that is what I "used" to believe. I don't believe that anymore. I have become open minded since I became a Wiccan and since I left the Christian world. I now accept all walks of life or faiths of life.

But yes it is upsetting when there are Christians out there who say everything that is not of God is demonic. I wasn't aloud to watch certain shows because of that. But anyway...I have told my friends my new found beliefs. They accepted them. I just wonder why my family can't. They believe that anything that is not of God is demonic. That's sad.

My dad will never know that I am a Wiccan and that I do witchcraft. I think that he would pray for me or try to exorcise me. IHDK. He is very closed minded. I just tell him that "I am not as closed to God as I used to be." And we leave it at that. But somehow I think he knows I'm not a Christian... I just don't know how.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Aesiryth wrote:Hello everyone,

So I'm fairly new to the forum and Wicca, but I've been wondering about this for quite some time. Does it make anyone mad or frustrated how some Wiccans tell others to "come out of the broom closet" and make it sound so easy, but in actuality it's really hard. Especially with the amount of Christians literally demonizing Wicca. I, for one, definitely can't "come out of the broom closet" for multiple reasons including the fact that I attend a Christian private school. Now I do admit I have told two people, but they were understanding about it and are close friends, but that's not the point. My point is, does it make anyone else mad that there is still this fear of Wicca from a lot (but not all) Christians? When I showed one of the two people I just mentioned my pentacle, first thing (I kid you not, first thing) they said was "that's a satan symbol". I've meditated about it and tried to make it not bug me too much, but I was just wondering if anyone felt the same.

Thanks for reading,
-Aesiryth
I think that coming out of the broom closet it something that should be done when and if you're comfortable with it. For some of us it wasn't that difficult. I decided that I am who I am supposed to be, and the world can accept or not. For others, the right time may never come, and that's okay. We all know who we are within. The world at large, didn't know that Clark Kent was Superman, or that Diana Prince was Wonder Woman. They did what they were meant to do.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
lavenderweave

Post by lavenderweave »

It can be frustrating at times. I personally probably won't come out of the broom closet to my parents. They aren't religious, like at all. They don't go to church, or have any bibles, nothing. Religion is never talked about. But I know that somehow that they believe enough that they wouldn't agree with it at all. So I'll stay in my closet with my candles and beliefs, at least with them.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”