Bark from dedication tree

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Westfire

Bark from dedication tree

Post by Westfire »

Dear all, recently I performed a self dedication underneath an old tree in a forest opposite my house ( I live in the remote highlands of Scotland), although I had decided to do the dedication, when I actually did it, as such, was completely spur of the moment. The conditions felt right, I came across a large tree in a clearing by a bank with a view out to sea, everything seemed right somI just did it! Anyway, my question is, as I stood up to leave, I held onto the tree for support, and some small pieces of its bark came way in my hand, instinctively, I put them into my pocket and took them home, where they now sit in a silver chalice on my altar. So, is there anything I could do with the bark? I am very attracted to forests, and feel most at home there, I wondered if I could powder the bark, mix with some essential oil and use it somehow, I am sure it is very powerful ! I would be grateful for any suggestions and for any info on approachable woodland deities!
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bark from dedication tree

Post by Xiao Rong »

It sounds like it gave you a gift! I don't know about any particular uses, but maybe you should just hang on to it. In my experience, when something gives you a gift, you'll eventually know its purpose, and it'll be pretty clear what you were supposed to do with it.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Westfire

Post by Westfire »

Thank you for the reply. Certainly, I think I received a gift, but I feel strongly that it was given to be used....I feel my own path to be unfolding in a way intimately connected to woodlands and trees and I feel a strong inclination to healing practices with herbs, barks etc. All of this has taken me rather by surprise, I have asked for a direction, a sign , and it appears I was taken literally into the forest on my doorstep. I wonder if hedgewitchery is the way?
valerian moon

Post by valerian moon »

first of all, your self dedication sounds like it was very beautiful and spiritual! I wish I could have seen it for myself!

second, if the bark just came off in your hand then it was probably a sign that you should keep it and use it. if it were me (this is just a suggestion) I would put it on my altar as a representation of earth and a memory of the self dedication.
You may call me Valerian Moon, or simply Val.
Westfire

Post by Westfire »

Great, thanks for the reply. Thats exactly what I did with it. I think there's more to come....I'm a pretty practical person ( male in my 40s, responsible job) but the dedication I performed was possibly the most powerful thing I've done. Interestingly, my two hunting dogs came and sat next to me when it was done, both very quiet and still, unusual for them as when I take them to the forest they usually vanish after good smells. The bark still puzzles me !
DPhoenix

Post by DPhoenix »

I Love hearing stories like these!

Yes, you can grind it up into powder to add it to incense, oils, tinctures etc. You can also put it in the tub during a cleasing/protection bath ritual. If powder you can sprinkle it around your circle during a spell. (depending on what type of wood it is)

You can also use it to make an amulet if you want it to be around for a while. if it's thick enough you can get an eyelet screw (screw with a circle on the end) and screw it into the bark and make a necklace out of it. You can carve or paint runes or other significant symbols that resonate with you.

Let us know what you decide to do with it! :)
Burn to ash we must
Purification by fire
To rise again new -Wanna be friends on face book? Add me Dorothy Phoenix
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Find out what kind of tree it is (like take a pic, then compare it with trees online or something). It will give you a better idea what to do with the bark. Trees have folklore surrounding them, as well as "personalities."
MsMollimizz

Post by MsMollimizz »

There are a few sites you can use to identify what tree,
just type "what kind of tree is this?" in search.
:flyingwitch:
Gentle Light
MsMollimizz
Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge." Steven Hawkings
Westfire

Post by Westfire »

Thank you everyone, great replies. I think I might grind some up to use in consecrating a new rune set I have made...see my new thread. Thanks again great ideas all round.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”