Pagan archetypes

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Garnetsun

Pagan archetypes

Post by Garnetsun »

Merry meet everyone !

In my study, i've come to see a lot of Pagan archetypes, such as Healer, Earth Mother, Crone, Magician, Warrior or others -many titles can fit, but those are the principal i've found-. So I've wondered how you could view yourselves, according to these archetypes. It may sound like a labelling in your path, which can bother some maybe, but i believe it can tell a lot about a person and how he or she view the path e/she has taken.

Personally, I think I'm between the Healer and Warrior. The first, because I always have tries to help people, spritually, emotionally, physically, or in antoher shape; and to help things grow. And Wicca, and the Craft has given me more to do my best in that regard.
THe Warrior, which might be seen as a force of nature, which can force things or protest a little to much, or to fight for its beliefs; i prefer to view it as someone who knows her/his weapons -ie knowledge and limitations-, to "fight" situations, and help to better themselves; and who know to find new "weapons" to fit something they cannot "fight" yet.

I'm quite curious about that, and I hope i didn't misplace this thread.
Blessed be! :fairy:
"People only see what they are prepared to see."
Ever changing, ever learning, ever growing.
dreadedpsychopomp

Re: Pagan archetypes

Post by dreadedpsychopomp »

This is very interesting. :) On a personal note, I'm not sure which archetype I would fit so it will be interesting to consider. On one hand, I'd say Healer since I always feel compelled to take people's pain away and feel horrible when I can't, but I'm not very drawn to health care related professions, nor do I fit any stereotypes of spiritual healers. I don't focus my spiritual path on it either, and most of what I've always done to save people from suffering is to remove the cause. Perhaps I'm much more of a Warrior because I try to save people when there's something wrong, often at great personal expense. Justice is a big thing with me and I go sort of crazy when confronted with any injustice. Just knowing that bad things happen that I can do nothing about feels like a terrible burden on me, like nothing is right with the world. I keep being told it's not my responsibility, and it's not, but it still hurts. I'm very good with Justice and Protection magic so...

There are obviously more archetypes out there and it's a fascinating subject.
Altairtigris

Post by Altairtigris »

Part Earth Mother, part Warrior.

Blessed be
Heartsong

Post by Heartsong »

Oh, Garnetsun, you've given me yet another excuse to unleash my academic gremlin, bwahahaha! goodnevil

I agree that identifying with an archetype can bring to light quite a bit about a person, despite the indignation or reticence some might feel towards labeling, as you put it. Still, it's a fun exercise. As a former English major, my mind immediately leaps to Joseph Campbell and mythological archetypes. To an extent, I think we can all see ourselves as the Hero, the Wise Man, the Outcast, the Damsel in Distress, etc. It's difficult for me to narrow down precisely what one archetype I may be, but I think that applies to most people. We are able to slip into so many roles and fit ourselves into almost any mold we desire, regardless of the fit.

Let's see, now.

If I had to pick, I think I would consider myself to be a Scholar or Student. I enjoy secluded study and I've always been one to amass as much knowledge as possible. When I take an interest in something, it tends to become an obsession for weeks at a time. I disappear for hours or even days, at times, devouring everything I can find (much to my husband's chagrin). For example, I was recently on a kick for about three weeks regarding the Nazi SS and occultism, watching documentaries, reading whatever I could get my hands on, browsing discussions and so forth. Much of it is purely fictional hype, but it's fun to me to explore the vast stores of information and theories out there.

I seek knowledge also because I feel that it makes me prepared. I've made it a point to try and understand as many spiritual practices as I can, so that not only can I defend my position on certain issues, I can also better relate to where other's may be coming from. I'm fascinated by history and its amazing trend of repetition. It, and literature, are the two subjects nearest and dearest to my heart. I've pursued and obtained a graduate degree in English, so I think that choice alone shows a good bit about my personality, haha. And I want to get my doctorate one day. I carefully collect and store books, articles, papers, etc. in the little room I use as a library, and organize them for easy use and reference. But I also try to share what I find, and help to lead others towards the right direction in their own searches for understanding.

I would be very interested to see what people would think of the Crone and Trickster archetypes, especially. So many possibilities, so little time. halfsm
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

What an interesting topic!

Heartsong, I think you're right when you say that we all embody different archetypes throughout different parts of our lives.

So right now, I can really only speak to what kinds of archetypes I aspire to embody (whether or not I live up to them is up for other people to decide, haha). I find the most inspirational one to be the Witch. Of course, we are all Witches on this forum, and the term Witch has a number of different interpretations. But the one that I like is the idea of a Wise Woman (or Man) who occupies a role on the outskirts of society whose job it is to speak the truth and to see what other people don't see. Because she is not a part of mainstream society, she has the freedom to not live within social norms and break and bend the rules (which is perhaps why in popular imagination she has warts and green skin), and has access to certain types of power that people who live within society don't have (e.g. sexual freedom, the ability to think outside the box, and yes, magic). Because she is on the outside, she can be a guide for people who don't fully feel like they are on the "inside", like adolescents finding their identities, or people who are grieving. She serves as the chaotic element that agitates for change and advocates for the marginalized and the oppressed (this is a very recent, feminist interpretation of the word "Witch", I think), even if sometimes this means putting herself in danger. Wrapped up in this role are elements of a healer and a warrior, but primarily she is the Wise Woman.

Other archetypes/figures that might be of interest, that I'm borrowing from a number of sources, and mostly off the top of my head:
- The Wise Man
- The King Stag / Fertility God / Green Man (the King Stag is a concept from Marion Zimmer Bradley's Mists of Avalon)
- The Trickster
- The Queen/Matriarch
- The Maiden
- The Mother
- The Crone
- The Hero (which we all are, to some extent)
- The Father
- The Explorer
- The Creator/Artist

7 Goddess Archetypes that might also be of interest:
- Persephone (Queen of the Underworld)
- Hera (Queen of Heaven)
- Aphrodite (Goddess of Love)
- Demeter (Earth Mother, as mentioned above)
- Athena (Goddess of Civilization)
- Artemis (Lady of the Wilds)
- Hestia (Goddess of the Hearth)

That's the best I can do for now, hope this helps!
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Garnetsun

Post by Garnetsun »

Thank you for yourbanswers, i didn't thought it would come to this, your thoughts on this are all very interesting, and it really help to understand everyone a little better.

You are definitely right by daying we evolve or go throguh different achetypes in our life. A few months ago, or even when I began the study, i would have considered myself as the Student or Scholar, either for my path than for my everyday life. I was really reading everything that spiked my interest, for days and days.
But now, definitely the Warrior in this aspect-since the Healer side isn't really worked on yet-, since even if I still go on study rampage, I choose better what I read, to fit what I seek intellectually, spiritually or emotionally, and sometimes to seek out a lesson.
The knowledge I gain, now can truly help me go further. It is less knowledge for knowledgen even though i still want to learn everything therebis to know ahah
Maybe since i'm alone, and people around aren't really interested in what i can read, or doesn't see why someone my age read that much, but my relation to knowledge changed. I even discovered my limitations, and i can work on it. Steady

Xiao, i belive you are in the right way to become what you aspire to be. Wht you wrote is precisely how i can see you on this forum, and you prove it by sharing your knowledge, which is quite great-, and by adding more to this thread..

Blessed be all.!
"People only see what they are prepared to see."
Ever changing, ever learning, ever growing.
DPhoenix

Post by DPhoenix »

I've been told that I'm multifaceted... and there are many sides of me that have carried over from past lives.

The strongest facet of this life would be something along the lines of a 'seeker of truth'.
Burn to ash we must
Purification by fire
To rise again new -Wanna be friends on face book? Add me Dorothy Phoenix
azriel

Post by azriel »

I do not know if this can be considered an archetype but I have been considered an Orator or a Communicator. I try to give a voice to those that can not speak and try to rebuild their story or connect them to their loved ones.

All we can do is accept that there are many things that need to be learned throughout our lifetimes and find which is our "calling" for this one.

Blesses Be,
Azriel
^-^~
Unfold your wings and take off into the sky
Before you're burned, become the sun
Blow, oh wind... It guides you into the sky
Before your whole self is taken away

Oasis~~~Gackt

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”