Your Book of Shadows is...

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
skyslide

Your Book of Shadows is...

Post by skyslide »

Well here goes! Move it I guess if it's in the wrong place.

What is your book made out of? Is it a notebook? A leather bound journal? A pad of stationary paper? A binder and looseleaf paper? Napkins? Is it only on the computer?

Tell. =)

Mine is a notebook temporarily. I want to get a journal type thing at some point and put it all in there.
Twine
Banned Member

Re: Your Book of Shadows is...

Post by Twine »

I keep mine in a binder, but I have loose sheets everywhere. I try to keep the most important spells in page protectors, though. 'Try' being the operative word, there.... XD
Tasariel

Post by Tasariel »

Mine is a binder, so far. I've mostly got loose leaf paper, but I'm compiling everything into a binder, with neatly handwritten pages. :)
skyslide

Post by skyslide »

That's a good idea. Easy to edit and fix and stuff. I'll do that then.
BeckyDarling

Post by BeckyDarling »

Mine is a pretty notebook that has large pages for me to write on. My handwriting is small so I can fit a lot on each page. :)

It's pretty empty so far (I'm new).
Symandinome
Banned Member

Post by Symandinome »

I dont use a Book of Shadows
Luna_Lobo

Post by Luna_Lobo »

Im like tas i have a 3 ring binder with filler papers and paper protecters. Im starting to paint it with my name on it and my star i have as my avatar.
skyslide

Post by skyslide »

Sy, what do you use?
Symandinome
Banned Member

Post by Symandinome »

My tradition is an oral tradition we do not keep written record. We use our minds. No I certainly cant name every herb and its uses or every stone for that matter but I do have committed to memory certain ones for certain things and for anything else I can use books to reference if need be. I dont discount the use of a BOS but its not necessary for me. I rarely use the same ritual twice or same spell twice because no occassion is exactly the same. Instead I plan myself according to match each instance as an individual. My set manner of circle casting doesnt require a book its just something I was trained to do and had to know by memory. I was traditionaly trained in a "coven" but we dont call them covens we call them "rings" but thats just what my tradition call is. In order for me to be able to move forward in the coven I was required to master things and retain them by memory solely.
skyslide

Post by skyslide »

I like that. It's like it commits you to it more. Puts more you in it.
Symandinome
Banned Member

Post by Symandinome »

I prefer it that way and I am glad that I learned the way that I did because it helped me in school I was already in the habbit of learning and memorizing because of my training. I had classes with my High Priestess almost every day. It got me in the habit of being an attentive listener and to make mental notes. Really once you learn the basic ways to formulate a ritual or spell and the little things that go along with it you dont need anything else but that. I think if you are doing the same ritual over and over again even if its beautiful it looses something to it because its more like yoru just going through the motions then really doing something to honor the gods. Just because i dont use a BOS doesnt mean that all people shouldnt. Some people just cant retain things the way that I can and using a book helps them so to those people USE A BOS. To those that can retain information correctly why not test yourself and see how much you can retain correctly. BOS tends to clutter up the altar ;)
skyslide

Post by skyslide »

I think I might test myself then. I agree with you, if you repetitively use the same rituals they do seem to lose their meaning. Plus, that way it's like what you said about tea leaves and tarot, you read from within and not from what you're told to read.
jescgrl

Post by jescgrl »

I'm new so its just a little leather bound journal with a like 2 pages of basics. I like to write everything down, so I think the binder might be in my future.
Zili

Post by Zili »

I'm using a large 3 ring black binder that i used a silver sharpie to decorate the front of it with.
Autumnal Rose

Post by Autumnal Rose »

I use a bit of a three way system because I like to keep all the information separate and easily accessible. I have got a binder for correspondances and factual information (printed) a handwritten book of spells and rituals. I only use this for spells that I have actually performed and that have worked for me - any spells I might try in the future go in my binder. Finally I keep a spiritual journal where I record day to day thoughts, tarot readings and any notable events.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”