Rock runes ok to use?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
LittleBit1309

Rock runes ok to use?

Post by LittleBit1309 »

Sorry for the vague title, But I'm improvising on what I have when I make runes.. Usually I go outside to find a rock with a good vibration, bring it in.. cleanse it.. and paint on the runes with fingernail polish. Is this not a good idea? I'm not sure where to find ceramic tiles, but wooden ones I could make eventually. :D
Raconteuse

Re: Rock runes ok to use?

Post by Raconteuse »

You can use whatever material is right for you, it just depends on your preference.
LittleBit1309

Post by LittleBit1309 »

Ok, thanks Raconteuse.. I had thought about it for a while, but i think sometimes it helps to get a second opinion. I really love to work with runes, but making them is even better just because you know they are one of a kind.
steveuk

Post by steveuk »

Raconteuse wrote:You can use whatever material is right for you, it just depends on your preference.
incorrect..

if its man made you MUST purify ...to remove the human beings, crap...,

if its natural..YOU MUST give deep respectful thanks, if it is a animal part ,if the animal died naturally its ok to use, you only need to charge , if it died from mans hand you must purify and consecrate
Ula

Post by Ula »

The magic is not in the item you use but the symbol itself. You can use bone, antler, stones, wood or clay. I would once made consecrate them like any other tool you would use.
Raconteuse

Post by Raconteuse »

steveuk wrote:
Raconteuse wrote:You can use whatever material is right for you, it just depends on your preference.
incorrect..

if its natural..YOU MUST give deep respectful thanks, if it is a animal part ,if the animal died naturally its ok to use, you only need to charge , if it died from mans hand you must purify and consecrate

If you're a purist then this makes sense. However there have been lovely ones handmade from pewter, precious metal clay, beads of all sorts, ect. Modern versions work to the same end as long as it's purified.
Packie99

Post by Packie99 »

steveuk wrote:
incorrect..

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're using them for a man-made concept, right? Besides that, it's a human being that is engraving the runes, converting them from a natural substance to a human used tool, and interacting with them in a very human way.

Runes don't appear in nature. They haven't sprang out from the ground, and have instead only sprang out from human's minds. And I have to agree with Ula for sure, the symbol of the rune is what is important, and how you connect to the rune. That connection is key. My preferred idea is to think of the runes as the key to your subconscious mind.
canobiecrazy

Post by canobiecrazy »

Personally, I wouldn't use nail polish. Some nasty chemicals in that stuff.
_Kaimira_

Post by _Kaimira_ »

for my runes i used from a fallen tree, and i use burning tool and lackered them.
steveuk

Post by steveuk »

Packie99 wrote:
steveuk wrote:
incorrect..

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're using them for a man-made concept, right? Besides that, it's a human being that is engraving the runes, converting them from a natural substance to a human used tool, and interacting with them in a very human way.

Runes don't appear in nature. They haven't sprang out from the ground, and have instead only sprang out from human's minds. And I have to agree with Ula for sure, the symbol of the rune is what is important, and how you connect to the rune. That connection is key. My preferred idea is to think of the runes as the key to your subconscious mind.
Whats important here is, if the raw materials are taken from nature due respect and thanks must be given,the invocation of man upon the materials is the second stage, if the former is omitted, then they will be about has much use has a condom made from a spiders web,at best they will produce deflective results and at worst its very dangerous.
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

The only negitive about random rock runes is that you can feel the difference of each rock and your readings have the ability to be swayed by your thoughts. Once you get to use your runes often you will start to notice little differences in each rune. Trying to find so many uniform items may be hard but wood and man made items help with this.
Packie99

Post by Packie99 »

steveuk wrote:
Packie99 wrote:
steveuk wrote:
incorrect..

Whats important here is, if the raw materials are taken from nature due respect and thanks must be given,the invocation of man upon the materials is the second stage, if the former is omitted, then they will be about has much use has a condom made from a spiders web,at best they will produce deflective results and at worst its very dangerous.
I don't mean simply that a man is using it as a tool. I mean it's man-made concept in that the idea of using runes for divination, and in fact both the concepts of divination and runes, come from man. The entire thing is an invention of man.

And why do you believe they won't work unless they come from nature? What is it that a dead piece of wood has over a pebble of mixed concrete? That is my question.

There is nothing special about ANY material besides what importance you place on it in your own mind. I'm sure for you nature would work and nothing else would, but to someone else they may work the same. Why? Because the only power inanimate objects have is what you give them.

I guess my point is that every tool used is relative to the user. What works for you isn't an absolute to anyone but yourself. Working in absolutes goes completely against this concept we call "magic".

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”