How to tell my family I'm studying witchcraft?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
shiverlove

How to tell my family I'm studying witchcraft?

Post by shiverlove »

I'm semi-new to witchcraft. I've looked into it in the past but realized i wouldn't be able to actually practice it because my family would not approve. But now I feel like I need to, I feel like practicing witchcraft is a step I have to take in my own person journey. I also know it will be a part of my life for a really long time if not for the rest of my time here. I just don't know how to tell my family. I'm tired of hiding my BOS and teaching myself only when my family's out. I need serious help here. What should I do?

Thanks in advance!
Blessed be,
p3nathan

Re: How to tell my family I'm studying witchcraft?

Post by p3nathan »

If you don't mind me asking, why is it that you feel your family wouldn't approve?
Kitrina Mageia

Post by Kitrina Mageia »

Haha, I haven't really told my family either. But I really think how you tell them depends on 1) how you think they'll react, 2) why you don't want to tell them and 3) how you function as a family. When I decided to be pagan, I simply went out into the living room and said, "I think I'm pagan."
The reason I haven't told my family that I'm a witch is because I know they'll loose sleep over it. They won't throw me out over it, but there's enough stress on my family right now without them living in fear of what will happen to my soul if I die, you know?
Traumwandlerin

Post by Traumwandlerin »

I wouldn't have told my family, I would just stop hiding my BOS and start practicing whenever I like. But they never were interested in what I was doing and they never would have asked. And even if, just saying I'm meditating or I'm trying something or I'm starting a new secret religion to rule the world would have shut them up.

So it really depend on how it works in your family.
shiverlove

Post by shiverlove »

The reason I think they won't approve is because they're verryy christian. especially my grandma. she'd probably throw a fit over me being a witch. My dad is open-minded but not about this, i know that's true. And my mother's interpretation of witchcraft from what i can tell is the hollywood version of em'. I've been dropping hints here and there, though. Like, if my dad would ask me why i was outside and i would say "Oh, I just wanted to see what phase the moon is in" Also, while my dad was around and my sister asked me about her astrology sign I went on and on and onnnnnnnnnn. About how she's and aries and that means she's a fire sign and fire represents passion (amongst other things) and fire directly correlates to the south on a compass and blah blah blahhh. They were both giving me looks like "what are you even talking about". So, i don't want to tell them because of the reaction I'll get. But i need to because I can't do it in secrecy, i really can't. It feels very strange having to wait while no one's around. It makes witchcraft feel almost wrong when I know it's not. It's beautiful. Any ideas would be great.

Thanks. Blessed be.
(:
AutumnMaidens

Post by AutumnMaidens »

Well I would suggest going about it as you usually would even if they're home, try not to make a big deal out of it or else they might get the wrong idea, really your parents have very little to do with your religion. Witchcraft does not call from screaming or burning the house down so certain things they might not even notice. If you mean the faith beside the practice that would be a bit of a different story.

Something like that?
Bless
"If you take a copy of the Christian Bible and put it out in the wind and the rain,
soon the paper on which the words are printed will disintegrate and the words will be gone.
Our bible IS the wind and the rain."
shiverlove

Post by shiverlove »

The problem is, that my houshold is .. well .. very hard to breath in. My parents smother me, to be quite honest. They absoluteley would NEVER trust me with a candle or insense because they think I'll burn the house down. (Honestly, It's like they think I'm two.) Also, they make a big deal about ANYTHING. For instance, if they happened to see me on this site they would most definatly interrogate me about it and keep me on a tighter leash. Also, I'm constantly being interrupted. I can't sit in my room for ten minutes without one of em' checking on me. I have done absolutley nothing to make them think I need to be treated this way. They don't let me leave the house without explaining myself and every little detail about everything I'm going to do. sigh. Imagine practicing witchcraft in a house like that.
AutumnMaidens

Post by AutumnMaidens »

Okay that does sound complicated. Have you asked why they treat you that way? Maybe you can just ask to get a lock on your bedroom door, or some trust at least. If you ask your parents why they don't trust you they'll most likely say they do, to which you can respond by mentioning the things you did just now. You never let me sit in my room without checking on me, constantly looking over my shoulder. What have I done to lose your trust?
It'll make you sound mature and reasonable if you are able to pull off a conversation like this without losing your cool, and maybe they'll give you more freedom.

If you're able to have conversations like that without things going out of hand you have a firm underground before you start talking about witchcraft and you wont get the immature argument thrown at your head. :D
"If you take a copy of the Christian Bible and put it out in the wind and the rain,
soon the paper on which the words are printed will disintegrate and the words will be gone.
shiverlove

Post by shiverlove »

Thanks. I have brought it up in the past but have gotten nowhere with it. I think the problem lies with how my parents were raised. Neither of them were watched at all. They were allowed to do anything they wanted, at all times. They're always saying how they made so many mistakes because of lack of parental guidance and they don't want to mess up with me.. and yeah. I don't know what to do
Thanks for all your help so far. (:
Traumwandlerin

Post by Traumwandlerin »

May I ask how old you are? I think it's important to learn how to set your own limits and protect your privacy when you grow up. You probably are somewhere in your teens, the perfect age for acts like that ;) But depending on how old you really are, you will have different possibilities to act on this.

You probably can tell your parents that they need to smother you, or you will just stop it your way. Your way could inculde just staying outside a lot. Which would fit perfectly with a nature loving religion. How long you can stay outside depends on where you live. A nice town or a the big city with lots of criminals.
shiverlove

Post by shiverlove »

Okay, I'm sixteen, almost seventeen.
I actually live in a city with a lot of criminals. and there's not really any great nature-y spots around here more like a concrete jungle lol. I'm in my backyard a lot, i like to meditate there. hmm, does anyone have any ideas on how i can bring up the topic of witchcraft with my family? Or advise?
Thanks.
AutumnMaidens

Post by AutumnMaidens »

I would bring up the feminem in mainstream religion, ask why for instance it feels like in most mainstream religion women are either the reason something bad happened or a pawn in the storyline, ask why the female is never seen as anything more than a sidecharacter. Than you have an opening to bring up the idea of a deity as both feminem and male that the great devine might be to vast to consist of something as basic as a gender, etc etc

You can also bring up nature its role in religion, how even though we all know that without it we would be dead it doesn't seem to play a big role in religion as a whole, the deity created it but it's nothing more than that? Etc etc

Maybe some ideas?
shiverlove

Post by shiverlove »

Thanks so much Autumn!
great advice! this thread has been good for me.
Blessed be everyone c:
MsMollimizz

Post by MsMollimizz »

If you're having trouble with using the words witch or witchcraft...
substitute it with pagan and paganism.
I wish you luck
Gentle Light
MsMolli
Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge." Steven Hawkings

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”