Wearing a Pentacle

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
firegirl

Wearing a Pentacle

Post by firegirl »

Hi, if you don't know me its because I'm new. I posted a quick self introduction in the proper place in the forums, if you want to know about me. Basically, I am just beginning my path to Paganism, and have not realized exactly what tradition I will follow.
I want some opinions from you guys. I have one friend who is Wiccan, and he said I should not wear a pentacle until I know exactly what I am doing, and have more experience. Then I have another who is a Neo Pagan and she says I should find one that suits me now, wear it, and it will help me to realize the correct path for me. :?

So, what do you think? Should I wait until I'm not so green, or will a wearing a pentacle now help me in my path?

Thanks!
magus

Re: Wearing a Pentacle

Post by magus »

I think you should meditate on it! It's where I get my best answers...though I have two goddesses that give me answers O.O Anyways I think meditation is still a good start.
You know they're all the same
You know you're doing better on your own so don't buy in
Live right now
Just be yourself
It doesn't matter if that's good enough for someone else
~Jimmy Eat World
Traumwandlerin

Post by Traumwandlerin »

Wear one if you like :)

There is nothing wrong with doing so. You should probably avoid a magickally charged one. But as a newbie, you probably can't charge it now and buying charged ones are extremely expensive (if they are good), so you wouldn't buy one by accident :)

But I don't think just wearing a pentacle will help you getting further on your path, except it's already part of your path.
Moon Stone

Post by Moon Stone »

I do not see what the problem is with wearing one. I have never heard of such a thing as ordinances being imposed on when a person should and should not wear one. Granted you may not be established in any particular path as of yet, but what difference does that really make? None, as far as I can see. If you feel like wearing a pentacle, then go shopping and pick out your favorite one and wear it.
Tylluan

Post by Tylluan »

Go for it if you want one. I find now though alot of people wear them for no reason other than trying to be cool and showing others what path they follow. The pentagram has taken over from some other equally important symbols of our faith such as the triskele. Basically what I'm trying to say is wear one if you feel the power of it, but don't wear it because you think you should.
My soul is awakened, my spirit is soaring. And carried aloft on the wings of the breeze. For above and around me the wild wind is roaring. Arousing to rapture the earth and the seas.
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

I personally think you should wait. While not out of any magical reason but out of societal reasons. As a new Witch, you may not be ready for the harsh judgment that is passed on to people of our faith. You will be ostracized, and there is no need for that so soon. If you do wear one, I would make it small like a ring or anklet. But the choice is yours.
Moon Stone

Post by Moon Stone »

JBRaven wrote: As a new Witch, you may not be ready for the harsh judgment that is passed on to people of our faith. You will be ostracized, and there is no need for that so soon.
Excellent point. Firegirl should consider if it would be well received by most of the company she keeps, or others. In my area, including among my peers people are far more tolerant of wiccans and witches, as well as other groups and therefore do not look upon some one wearing a pentacle as if they were a martian. But I was the type that when I wore one I really did not give a dime what people thought of me or thought about it. But it may not be the greatest idea for some one who might be very sensitive to how well received they are in an area chock full of intolerant minions.
IvyLee

Post by IvyLee »

Moon Stone wrote:
JBRaven wrote: As a new Witch, you may not be ready for the harsh judgment that is passed on to people of our faith. You will be ostracized, and there is no need for that so soon.
Excellent point. Firegirl should consider if it would be well received by most of the company she keeps, or others. In my area, including among my peers people are far more tolerant of wiccans and witches, as well as other groups and therefore do not look upon some one wearing a pentacle as if they were a martian. But I was the type that when I wore one I really did not give a dime what people thought of me or thought about it. But it may not be the greatest idea for some one who might be very sensitive to how well received they are in an area chock full of intolerant minions.
There's always tucking it in, too, if they really want to wear it. When I had mine, I just tucked it under my shirt so no one else could see, but it made me secure knowing I could still wear it if I wanted to. Kind of a mutual thing, until you get used to it. I gradually started to care less and less the more I wore it of what people thought, and didn't bother to tuck it anymore.
Moon Stone

Post by Moon Stone »

Ivylee, that is a good idea and alternative for some one who may insist they want a pentacle but may be concerned about the judgment from their peers and others. If it slips out from under the shirt by mistake, well...as some one else pointed out, it might be assumed to be a fashion statement rather than an actual wiccan or witch.
MsMollimizz

Post by MsMollimizz »

I wear one all the time...I have three(3) I rotate wearing. The main one I wear is a large 2 inch.
I've had other pagans come up to me where if I hadn't worn it I wouldn't have met !
That to me is a great reason to wear them.
Gentle Light
MsMolli
Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge." Steven Hawkings
firegirl

Post by firegirl »

Wow, I don't know why I didn't see that there were so many more replies!

Just to let everyone know (if anyone cares) what I did decide to do. I searched for one that I felt drawn to. Many were too fancy for me, or had just some kind of something I didn't like. When I finally saw one I liked, I got it. I have ordered a second with a different but equally simple and good-feeling qualities to me which I am currently waiting for in the mail.
When I received this one, I cleansed it of all energies from the people who have previously touched it. Then I made it my own by taking the silver plating off, down to the brass. I decided this would be a personal reminder of my new journey. I am working on a few personal growth things, to better myself in this life.
I decided to only wear this when I am abiding by the light I have set forth to live (but I do believe the darkness has its necessary place and can/will use that when needed, but that is another topic and discussion on its own). And though I do wear it inside my uniform at work, I do not care if someone sees it (just a work uniform policy). But I have been tempted numerous times in the past week to do something dishonest, something I may have done before I set forth on my personal betterment journey. But I felt the pendant against my heart and knew I would be honest and right. I guess for me it's kind of like those "WWJD" bracelets for the Christians... but in my case I believe over time this piece will hold the positive energy and light that I am putting out.
So, that is where I am right now. I am not ashamed of who I am, but I am also not going to shove it in anyone else's face either. I don't believe the pentacle is making me a good person, but I feel that it is helping me to do it on my own, and in time it will hold my energy. :mrgreen:
Moon Stone

Post by Moon Stone »

It sounds like you did the correct and positive thing for yourself regarding to wear or not to wear a pentacle. I'm glad that regardless of the advice your friend gave, or any of us, you took the inciative and did what felt best for you.
midnyt fantasy

Post by midnyt fantasy »

hmm... i personally like to wear the pentacle that i have made by my self, which is untouched by others and since you put a lot of hard work into it, it is well energized by you... its really easy to make your own pentacle.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”