Smoking?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Sangheili777

Smoking?

Post by Sangheili777 »

Is it bad to practice Wicca and to smoke? I ask because I had read that Wiccans/pagans try to take care of their bodies and the environment as much as possible. I started smoking when my psychiatric problems got really bad. Drinking had begun to take over my life and so I quit doing that, but smoking took its place. Ironically, I started smoking again after quitting in the mental hospital because they handed them out 5 times a day to "calm" us. Anyway, it's something that's hard to give up. Am I really being bad or something if I keep smoking? I mean yeah, I know the health risks, and really NO ONE should ever smoke. But I do. This won't affect any spell work negatively or anything right? I mean it's not like I'd smoke while practicing!
luckimmortal
Banned Member

Re: Smoking?

Post by luckimmortal »

I like to smoke alot of weed with practice. I used to smoke Cloved tobbacoo but quit, so no tobacco.. occasionaly shisha though.

and by with practice i mean while practcing. some cultures acually use tobacco, hallucinagenic herbs and even fungi in healing rituals. watch some national geographic. there is no BAD or GOOD in magic, no black white or grey, All that really is, is in the intent of the caster.
Traumwandlerin

Post by Traumwandlerin »

It's always bad to be dependent on an unhealthy substance. Religion doesn't play a part. It's a different matter if you think you should consume something (weed, fungi) as part of a ritual, this is not being dependent, that's using something sometimes for a purpose.
luckimmortal
Banned Member

Post by luckimmortal »

Sangheili777 wrote:Is it bad to practice Wicca and to smoke? I ask because I had read that Wiccans/pagans try to take care of their bodies and the environment as much as possible. I started smoking when my psychiatric problems got really bad. Drinking had begun to take over my life and so I quit doing that, but smoking took its place. Ironically, I started smoking again after quitting in the mental hospital because they handed them out 5 times a day to "calm" us. Anyway, it's something that's hard to give up. Am I really being bad or something if I keep smoking? I mean yeah, I know the health risks, and really NO ONE should ever smoke. But I do. This won't affect any spell work negatively or anything right? I mean it's not like I'd smoke while practicing!
and Ditto what traum said to answer the part about being addicted to nicotine. Though I used to smoke tobacco regulary I never found it difficult to quit. I know Im prone to addiction by nature so in a way knowing that helps me break unhealthy habits fairly easy.
But still, IMO being a smoker has nothing to do with the effectiveness of a spell during or after....unless its a self healing spell... then smoking a cig during it wouldnt make sense lol blue_dozey
Greek_Male_Witch

Post by Greek_Male_Witch »

I think I know what sangheilli is talking about, if our body is unhealthy will this affect our energy? well I have to say yes, my friend is thinner and he is healthy and whatever he says on random, happens (ok not in a very literal way but you get me) I'm overweight and my energy does not flow so easily, anyway, cigarette is also bad for your health, you should try to quit, but if don't, then magic won't reject you, its not like you have to become something that you aren't.
What Goes Around,Comes Around!
WhiteOne

Post by WhiteOne »

It seems like what your asking is if it is morally bad.
Do you believe that respect for your body is part of your tradition? Do you believe you should be giving your money to tobacco companies? Do you have children, or others, who will be influenced to smoke by being around you? Do you want to be "a smoker"?

These are the ethical questions you could ask yourself to determine if it is bad. I don't think many Wiccans will tell you that it is morally wrong to smoke--but some might.

Smoking will weaken your body and give you extra stuff to worry about. It will lessen your personal power, because an addiction indicates that you are somewhat out of control. You might feel bad and guilty, and like a weak person, which will cause you're magic and your spirituality to suffer.

As you know, quitting addictions helps you to feel empowered, and to move on to the important things in your life. You are a victim of an addiction, so you aren't morally culpable, in my opinion, unless you are exposing children to your addiction by smoking anywhere around them. But only you have the power to end this addiction, and I think most Wiccans would urge you to do so, for the good of yourself and society.

BTW--I just bought nicotine gum this morning, because I have been dealing with the same problems. Addictions can be very hard for some people, and so I am going to combat smoking with everything I can, magical and non-magical.
Good luck!

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”