Do I have to have wiccan ancestors?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Asch

Re: Do I have to have wiccan ancestors?

Post by Asch »

Everyone has pagan ancestors because pagan means non-christian or more loosely non-abrahamic, therefore if you exist now you had ancestors prior to christ so we ALL have pagan ancestors. That's just a fact.

As to whether or how this influences your current beliefs and choices, that's solely up to you. You can research your genealogy and find historical practices of those peoples you have a connection to that jive with you, or you can choose a faith completely unrelated to anything your ancestors may have practiced.

Bottom line, you don't have to have a pagan pedigree or anything else to be wiccan, practice Asatru etc.
This is what I am, here is where I remove my mask.
presentcharisma

Post by presentcharisma »

Asch wrote:Everyone has pagan ancestors because pagan means non-christian or more loosely non-abrahamic, therefore if you exist now you had ancestors prior to christ so we ALL have pagan ancestors. That's just a fact.

As to whether or how this influences your current beliefs and choices, that's solely up to you. You can research your genealogy and find historical practices of those peoples you have a connection to that jive with you, or you can choose a faith completely unrelated to anything your ancestors may have practiced.

Bottom line, you don't have to have a pagan pedigree or anything else to be wiccan, practice Asatru etc.

totally agree!

Another question.. we know that pagan = Non christian. All witches are not wiccan, and all pagans are not witches. So what do we call the General people who practice in pagan centers? I am learning quickly that no word is safe to use. :|
I AM
Asch

Post by Asch »

Pagans?

What's a pagan center??
presentcharisma

Post by presentcharisma »

Asch wrote:Pagans?

What's a pagan center??

I don't know. Traum brought it up and so i asked about it. Traum.. any insight?
I AM
Asch

Post by Asch »

Well generally most persons I've run into don't mind being called pagan, they might tell you what 'flavor' they are if you ask but I've never had someone get all offended and demand to be called Wiccan etc instead of pagan. So that's probably acceptable.

I'm really off now lol, gotta clean out an overrun garden and hit the gym.
shadowx
Banned Member

Post by shadowx »

I think Traumwanderlin (can never spell that name, usually copy and paste but she isnt in this thread :D) meant a pagan center was a place where the majority of people were pagan. Every country has it's places where paganism is more accepted. here in the UK we have places like the New forest which is famous for the new forest covens and arreas of cornwall/devon which is where Stonehenge is.

As for what to call pagans just "pagan" is enough. Anyone that gets offended by that is an idiot! Definitely avoid calling pagaans wiccan though :D I hate that.. Most pagans are easy going, some are almost sickly with everything starting "merry meet" and ending "blessings and love" yeuck... A few might be awkward, like me, but most wont mind being called pagan. Despite not fitting the more detailed definition of pagan i consier myself just that since it is easier to explain.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”