Glamours

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
reikihealer83

Glamours

Post by reikihealer83 »

Hi All,

Ok, so I was reading the how to change your eye color thread and this topic just happened to pop into my head this morning. What is everyone's position on glamours? For those who are not familiar with what a glamour is, it is the use of magick to change your appearence (in a small way) to the outside world. Some people use them to hide pimples etc. My question to everyone is, have you ever used a glamour and if so why? When it comes to wanting to hide something small what do you all think about glamours? I personally have used a couple here and there but it has been a long time. Thoughts?
Traumwandlerin

Re: Glamours

Post by Traumwandlerin »

I don't think it's a bad thing, but I think it really unnecessary. Small changes may be easy, big changes are difficult, but the alternative is more reasonable in my opinion. A spell to love yourself the way you are. Feel good despite pipmples. Radiate a good feeling. Search your inners why you feel the need to change something about yourself.

I've never done such a thing for myself (not counting in the "I want large breastes"-spell I've done at 14). But I've witness a few, which were done with hypnosis, including th lactating breasts (duration of this side effect several days).
Y0m

Post by Y0m »

I've done subtle things to my aura,
for instance there were times in New Orleans that I felt in danger,
so I actually concentrated on being hidden.
Less people noticed me. (believe me or don't)

Most other times I may have made my aura glow to attract girls (I know immature),
but mostly I just send out energy like Traum said.
Or put up a shield.

Love.
All I know is I love you.
That's about all I can do.
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

I have never really had my glamours work. At least the physical ones. I can make myself less noticed, like Y0m said, but thats about it. Personally, I think there are better things to focus my power on than attracting others. But then again, I have been called quite the snake (in China and Japan, this like calling a woman a cougar or a fox)

And I don't find it immature that you make your aura glow to attract others attention. I would find it immature if you had your manhood hanging out to attract them :lol:
Y0m

Post by Y0m »

Ravencry wrote: And I don't find it immature that you make your aura glow to attract others attention. I would find it immature if you had your manhood hanging out to attract them :lol:
Hahah i gotta try that sometime...
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

Y0m wrote:I've done subtle things to my aura,
for instance there were times in New Orleans that I felt in danger,
so I actually concentrated on being hidden.
Less people noticed me. (believe me or don't)

Most other times I may have made my aura glow to attract girls (I know immature),
but mostly I just send out energy like Traum said.
Or put up a shield.

Love.

I do this often. If I am working with children I will shift my aura to project a teddy bear. If I am in a dangerous place, I shift it to be more like a wolf/monster. It does work. though there has been a few times when I forgot to let the teddy bear go and have had adults talk to me in that baby gibberish.
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

Hows da widdle JBRaven? widdle biddiy JBRaven? I could just eat your little toesies *nom nom nom*

I'm just kidding, I think it would be kinda funny to see someone talk to a full grown adult like that.
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

It was odd to say the least. My daughter asked "Mom is that woman crazy?" I just told her yes and walked away.

Invisability spells and glamours all really use the same principles, push a wanted trait out and making it less or more relevent. In a glamour spell does the pimple really go away?, no you just block people from noticeing it, a person who is hell bent on seeing that pimple will.
JuniperBerry
Banned Member

Post by JuniperBerry »

reikihealer83 wrote:Hi All,

Ok, so I was reading the how to change your eye color thread and this topic just happened to pop into my head this morning. What is everyone's position on glamours? For those who are not familiar with what a glamour is, it is the use of magick to change your appearence (in a small way) to the outside world. Some people use them to hide pimples etc. My question to everyone is, have you ever used a glamour and if so why? When it comes to wanting to hide something small what do you all think about glamours? I personally have used a couple here and there but it has been a long time. Thoughts?

Glamours, to me, are a form of seidr:
The single most characteristic element of seiðr, however, seems to be magic of a type which works by affecting the mind by illusion, madness, forgetfulness or other means.
(Simpson, 183).

It's a bewitchment, in my view. The old Norse seem to be very apprehensive of this type of magic, and viewed it as a negative art:
The practitioner of seiðr was known as a seið-kona (seið-wife) or seið-man, but these terms tended to suggest a "black magician," so that frequently a seið-worker is called a spá-kona or spae-wife instead to avoid blackening their name with the negative connotations of seiðr.
This is called sjónhverfing, the magical delusion or "deceiving of the sight" where the seið-witch affects the minds of others so that they cannot see things as they truly are (Jochens, Old Norse Magic and Gender, 313)
Other than projecting an aura (like Jb and others have mentioned), I really don't see the point of glamours. For one, it's insulting to yourself to say that how you are isn't good enough, and it just affirms any self-esteem issues you have. Secondly, you essentially want to put beer-goggles on people, and, if it were effective- if you could make yourself look like a supermodel for a night- how would the person feel after it wore off and they find out they were tricked? People often feel regret for sleeping with someone they weren't attracted to while drinking, but imagine if someone got them drunk so that they could sleep with them? It's horrible- it's essentially like ruffies and date rape.

Thirdly, I don't think it's possible. And why bother with magic when you coudl bye a box of dye, colored contacts, exercise, use facial creams- basically- mundane and available ways to improve your looks?
The Gods we worship write their names on our faces; be sure of that. A person will worship something, have no doubt about that. We may think our tribute is paid in secret in the dark recesses of our hearts, but it will out. That which dominates our imaginations and our thoughts will determine our lives, and our character. Therefore, it behooves us to be careful what we worship, for what we are worshipping we are becoming.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

As believers in the folk-religion we are studying, we seek after mysteries that expand the scope of our gods and our understanding of them, not reductionist theories that reduce them to manageable and socially productive "functions".

-Our Troth
PhoenixKing

Post by PhoenixKing »

i rember i got into a big fight and used on to make me seem more powerful. It worked
PhoenixKing

"The wisest mind has something yet to learn."
Witch13
Banned Member

Post by Witch13 »

I thought that glamour was a technique to change the way others see you more than the actual appearance. something like when a peacock opens its feathers to show the beauty and briliance..
Y0m

Post by Y0m »

JuniperBerry wrote:
Other than projecting an aura (like Jb and others have mentioned), I really don't see the point of glamours. For one, it's insulting to yourself to say that how you are isn't good enough, and it just affirms any self-esteem issues you have. Secondly, you essentially want to put beer-goggles on people, and, if it were effective- if you could make yourself look like a supermodel for a night- how would the person feel after it wore off and they find out they were tricked? People often feel regret for sleeping with someone they weren't attracted to while drinking, but imagine if someone got them drunk so that they could sleep with them? It's horrible- it's essentially like ruffies and date rape.

Thirdly, I don't think it's possible. And why bother with magic when you coudl bye a box of dye, colored contacts, exercise, use facial creams- basically- mundane and available ways to improve your looks?

True, I've since stopped doing these sorts of things, even when I feel in danger.
There is always a better way.

Love.
reikihealer83

Post by reikihealer83 »

For me, I feel that glamours are an interesting idea and that they are meant to make changes that are of course temporary but it was an interesting topic. I personally think that glamours are possible in the small scale but I also think it is something that should not be used very often. Little things could be good but larger things, it is almost not worth it.
JuniperBerry
Banned Member

Post by JuniperBerry »

You know what, I want to amend my earlier thoughts on it just a bit.

I think a glamour could be useful in getting a job, for example, to project confidence and capability. I just don't like tham as a means of attracting someone. That seems unfair.
The Gods we worship write their names on our faces; be sure of that. A person will worship something, have no doubt about that. We may think our tribute is paid in secret in the dark recesses of our hearts, but it will out. That which dominates our imaginations and our thoughts will determine our lives, and our character. Therefore, it behooves us to be careful what we worship, for what we are worshipping we are becoming.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

As believers in the folk-religion we are studying, we seek after mysteries that expand the scope of our gods and our understanding of them, not reductionist theories that reduce them to manageable and socially productive "functions".

-Our Troth
reikihealer83

Post by reikihealer83 »

JuniperBerry wrote:You know what, I want to amend my earlier thoughts on it just a bit.

I think a glamour could be useful in getting a job, for example, to project confidence and capability. I just don't like tham as a means of attracting someone. That seems unfair.
I can see how that would be a good use, like projecting that confidence and capability.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”