Dream Magic by Sirona Knight

Paganism, witchcraft, and Wicca as portrayed on TV, movies, and popular culture. Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, Practical Magic, etc. If you know of a good show or movie, you can recommend it here or discuss it with others.
Peregrine

Dream Magic by Sirona Knight

Post by Peregrine »

I was rummaging through my books when I stumbled upon a copy I have of this book. I was wondering if any of you more experienced practitioners have heard of this book and/or the author? It has quite a few informative lists at the beginning (moon phases, colors, esbats, sabbats, etc) and it interests me because of my experience with the dream world.

I even saw a lovely happy home ritual I would like to try, only I'd rather use an aloe vera than a fern. According to another source I saw online last night, the aloe seems to serve the same purposes as the fern in this ritual. I have a great spot for it in front of the house, where I doubt a fern could survive and only a few feet away from a spot where I already have successfully grown another aloe plant.
It's like walking down an empty street, listening to your own footsteps. But all you have to do is knock on any door and say, "If you'll let me in, I'll live the way you want me to live. And I'll think the way you want me to think." And all the blinds will go up, and all the doors will open, and you'll never feel lonely. Ever again.

~Henry Drummond, "Inherit the Wind" (1960)
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

I have another book by Sirona Knight. It's about Druidic, Celtic and Faerie magic. It's a cute read (some nice fae stories) but she isn't very accurate with her facts. I know of a few people who consider her as useful as Silver Ravenwolf.
Peregrine

Post by Peregrine »

Thanks. I read the articles from the other thread about Ravenwolf. Perhaps it is just as well this book by Knight got lost, pushed by accident behind other books.
It's like walking down an empty street, listening to your own footsteps. But all you have to do is knock on any door and say, "If you'll let me in, I'll live the way you want me to live. And I'll think the way you want me to think." And all the blinds will go up, and all the doors will open, and you'll never feel lonely. Ever again.

jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

Has Serrona Knight really incited teenagers to lie to their parents?

Truthfully, there might be something to learn from it, just remember to check your facts. It's about dream working, and knowing about the true origins of the Craft is pretty irrelevant, all things considered. The biggest complaint about Silver and her ilk is that she is misleading to newbies in the Craft, and that's who love her. Even Silver isn't wrong about EVERYTHING. She has some very good tips on spell casting for what it's worth, at least in terms of *practical* magick. Her theology... well... It's just that you have to read her carefully, and not get carried away when she goes off into her own headtrip about the past, and her tone is pretty insufferable.

I've been doing comparative reading for so long that it's easy for me to turn a blind eye to the stuff that I know isn't true as well as filtering out the stuff that I don't happen to agree with the author. Largely because I rarely agree with ANY author *all* the time. Use my method: if you are interested in dream magick, then get several books about it, and read them all. Libraries are good for this when one is short on cash. :-)
Peregrine

Post by Peregrine »

I slept on it... No pun intended on a dream magick thread... and I think you are right. It is like the days when I was a Christian and, while my family and I may not have agreed a lot of times with the Catholic church, the nice Lutheran friar that so-and-so talks to a lot, or Pat Robertson, we still felt a lot of times they had some good pearls of wisdom to offer. (Same thing applies even now.) My mother used to warn about "Throwing the baby away with the bath water."

I want to continue with dreams, use of sounds/music for healing and meditation, and with mindpower techniques. They seem to be my strengths. I will never be able to "get it" with incense and aromatherapy, two things I see often in Occult and New Age stores, because I am anosmic. It's like instructing someone to use color visualizations when he/she has been blind since birth.

Sercee

Post by Sercee »

I never said she was like that, She isn't bad for the craft and she doesn't contradict herself or anything like that (that I've seen). "I know of a few people who consider her as useful as Silver Ravenwolf." just means that's what I've heard from others. I'd hardly say to avoid her like the plague or anything, just that there's other authors' work out there that I've found more useful to get the information I'm looking for.
Peregrine

Post by Peregrine »

Sercee wrote:there's other authors' work out there that I've found more useful to get the information I'm looking for.
TELL ME WHO? I'm such a student at this, I'd like to know.

big_grin

Sercee

Post by Sercee »

This is the link to the book list I put up in this forum a while ago.

http://www.everythingunderthemoon.net/f ... php?t=5816

Hope it helps.

Return to “Witchcraft and Wicca in the Media”