Enhancing pychic abilites/knowing if you have them

Paganism, witchcraft, and Wicca as portrayed on TV, movies, and popular culture. Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, Practical Magic, etc. If you know of a good show or movie, you can recommend it here or discuss it with others.
JIG819

Enhancing pychic abilites/knowing if you have them

Post by JIG819 »

This is such a newb question but how do you know if you even have psychic abilities and how would you be able to enhance them. Sometimes I dream things and they come true. Is that part of having psychic abilites or just a coincidence? lol.
kuotetsu

Post by kuotetsu »

i just got this article last time and i find it very substantial... here are the tips ....

Developing Psychic Abilities

We all have psychic abilities. Some of us may have more natural abilities than others, the same way that some of us seem inclined towards music or mathematics. But just like any other skill, psychic abilities can be trained and enhanced. The following tips can help to increase your natural psychic skills.

Meditation:
Meditation strengthens the ties to the spiritual self and enhances the mind, body, spirit connection. There is no greater tool available for increasing psychic abilities than meditation. Through meditation it is possible to achieve a state of intense awareness of subtle energies.

There are many sources of information regarding meditation available if the practice is new to you. There are many meditation techniques for you to choose from and I suggest experimenting with various techniques until you find one that feels right for you. Remember, there is no right way or wrong way to perform meditation. It is only important that you are able to relax and focus your mind. If you continue the practice of meditation for any length of time, you will begin to notice the existence of your own spiritual energy. It is the connection to your spiritual self which provides intuitive information. Strengthening the connection to your spiritual self will result in an increase in of psychic abilities.

Awareness:
Try to be more aware of your surroundings. Upon waking in the morning, make an effort to lie still for a few minutes without opening your eyes. Try to notice as many sounds, textures and smells as possible before you decide to open your eyes. This exercise if carried out for several weeks can greatly help to increase your levels of awareness and intuition. The act of listening is important in increasing psychic awareness, after continuing this exercise for some time you will begin to notice an increase in your overall awareness which affects your level of intuition.

Focusing:
Often intuitive information is communicated to us in bits and pieces. Pay attention to random thoughts and feelings. Keep a journal handy at all times and try to write down those thoughts that seem to come out of nowhere. You may notice after awhile that patterns tend to emerge. Thoughts that previously seemed completely random and unconnected begin to form themes or recognizable ideas.

Try to record your dreams in your journal. If you have been following the awareness exercise outlined above you will have noticed that your dreams are much easier to recall. Allowing yourself a few minutes to be still upon waking makes it much easier to remember dreams and with more detail, than if you rush out of bed in the morning and hurry to start the day. Try setting your alarm clock to wake you up ten or fifteen minutes before your normal waking time. Give yourself some time to remember your dreams and make a few quick notes in your journal.

These simple exercises can have dramatic results if practiced regularly. These steps are just a few of the many techniques available for increasing your psychic ability. There are many other methods to choose from. In your search for information regarding psychic development, it is important to be wary of any methods which declare that psychic abilities are the result of external forces, or any teachings which insist that psychic powers are anything other than a natural human ability.

sorry i wasnt able to track down my reference - i hope this help ^_^
Starchaser

Post by Starchaser »

When i started reading on the subject, just knowing that they were there in each of us helped, awareness goes a long way, at least for me it did. You'll notice things you may have been doing all along, and its all part of the same thing. Like just running into someone you were thinking about for whatever reason, or empathy, knowing and feeling someone's emotions.
saianalyd

Post by saianalyd »

nice article- i'll have to try the focusing thing

and for the recors writing down dreams is really, really useful
-lydia
kuotetsu

Post by kuotetsu »

saianalyd wrote:nice article- i'll have to try the focusing thing

and for the recors writing down dreams is really, really useful

yah it will make you remember your dreams... and you can even use it in astral projection :wink:
Pixie Tales

Post by Pixie Tales »

i have always seen things that no one else sees or admits they see.. im not affraid of them.. i dont fully understand why i see them.. only because i dont converse with them or the disappear to quick for me to learn anything from them.. i see animals mostly but i have seen one human boy that wasnt whom i thought it was.. i also sense things and see semi shadows..
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

Having that gift is one of the hardest in my opinion. Because even other pagans don't usually believe. I've been there. I feel for you. I don't know what to tell you other than to suss people out before you tell them about your gifts. :-/ It's not great, but it's what I've got.
kuotetsu

Post by kuotetsu »

that may be a curse or a gift... :)
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

Hint: the answer to that is "YES". :?

Oh and to really answer your question. Make a journal, and keep track of your dreams, visions, etc. Look for patterns, for example if your dreams that predict or give you insight are more vivid or come with smell or something you will know that for future reference. There are habits you can acquire that will help strengthen your abilities, such as regular meditation, scrying, or visualization. Also, practicing silence and personal awareness (Kerr Culuhain: The Wiccan Warrior) also help a great deal. His is another book that outlines many practices that help you find your inner voice.

Determine the reality of it one impulse at a time.

Try "When Oracles Speak" by Dianne Skafte. She has some great descriptions of how to go about things, and a reasonable approach.
kuotetsu

Post by kuotetsu »

better try jcrow's suggestions .. thanks a bunch! :wink:
cherifizzle

Post by cherifizzle »

I've always had a small amount of psychic ability, like thinking of somebody and then two seconds later they call me. Also having dreams that come true, not about anything significant, just everyday stuff. I started meditating about two years ago and it got stronger, like I would just know something that was going to happen in the future out of nowhere and then it would happen. Kind of scared me at first but I like it. I haven't meditated in a while cause I've been lazy lately so it's been weaker. Also I remember when I was a kid and we'd play board games with my dad he would pretty much always know what dice were going to roll before anybody rolled them.
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

See, that's what most people don't get. Psychic stuff usually manifests in fairly mundane ways. Like if you see your long dead grandfather, he's more likely to say, "it's winter, wear a sweater", than, "you will meet a rich dark stranger at that bar over there who will whisk you away and marry you."

One of my exes had a supremely psychic dream where he was locked in his house and only had nasty stale crackers to eat. *The very next day* he wakes up, twists his ankle, his car is in the shop, and there's no telephone service. So all he has is tap water and the same nasty crackers that were in his dream, down to the exact brand! Further, he was staying at his folk's place, and he wasn't very familiar with his mom's kitchen, so he had no idea that the cupboard was so bare.

Oh, your welcome. :-)
Shadow_Kitten

Post by Shadow_Kitten »

Oh, good! I've been looking for a thread like this! I'm the same. I've been having psychic flashes for years & in the last 2 years they've become more common & more powerful. But only a little bit more, they're still only flashes. I have them in my dreams too & I get deja vu A LOT. I also instinctively know what ppl are going to say or whenever someone's going to ring or send me a message & about 30 seconds after I pick up my phone I'll get a message even though I wasn't expecting to get one. Other than my instincts, I mean. I've also sensed other beings in my room before but I haven't been able to see or communicate properly with them. Yet. I'll work on it!

These tips are all REALLY helpful, thanks so much for posting them!
kali's framiliar human

help

Post by kali's framiliar human »

when meditatng to strengthen your powers, what are you supposed to think about? sometime I have trouble letting my mind wander, should I feel like thats bad?
Elem

Post by Elem »

When meditatng to strengthen your powers, what are you supposed to think about? sometime I have trouble letting my mind wander, should I feel like thats bad?
Naw, it's not bad at all. Everyone has trouble with that sometimes.. When I was learning I found that one method, which worked for me, was to visualise a box and then cram any and every thought that popped up into that box. When it seems like everything's gone quiet, lock it up, and just make it disappear - throw it off a cliff, visualise it fading, etc... Whatever works for you.

If a stray thought happens to creep in after that, just brush it away - single stray thoughts trying to distract you are a lot easier to ignore than trying to clear a patch in your brain to keep clear whilst everything's still up there :).

Worked for me, might be worth a try? If it's no good then just let me know and I'll help out however I can.

Elem

Return to “Witchcraft and Wicca in the Media”