Your Opinion on Witchcraft and Wicca in The Media

Paganism, witchcraft, and Wicca as portrayed on TV, movies, and popular culture. Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, Practical Magic, etc. If you know of a good show or movie, you can recommend it here or discuss it with others.
Lily Cantodea

Your Opinion on Witchcraft and Wicca in The Media

Post by Lily Cantodea »

What's your opinion on Wicca and witchcraft in the media? Do you think it's a positive thing because it gets people interested in what can prove to be a very enlightening, powerful path? Negative because it gives them the wrong ideas about witchcraft?

I'm curious as to what you guys think. :)
reikihealer83

Post by reikihealer83 »

Hi Lily,

I think it is a mix of both good and bad. It really depends on what you see. I take "The Craft" for instance, it was a great movie and many things seem to be accurate but they did sort of glamourize it as well. The same can be said for Charmed and Supernatural. Charmed, even though I loved the show was nowhere near accurate as we all know. There were things that were definately right such as the Rede and stuff and tools but the major thing with Charmed and Wicca and Witchcraft in the media in general is that it is for entertainment. I think those who are truely interested in the Craft should read and definately take what they see in the media with a grain of salt.
moonlit

Post by moonlit »

In a way I think it's good bacause people will want to find out more about it. In some ways it's even good when we are attacked. Maybe people will see that we are the ones being picked on and they will start looking into it all for themselves. I mean we are not longer being put to death for what we believe and the religion is accessable in any library. It is a concern how false our religion is made out to be in a lot of TV shows and movies though. I have people email me with the most rediculous requests and advice because of it. It does provide me with the opportunity to set them straight thought. 1 down 500 billion to go lol

moonlit
**Nothing is set in stone**
sylphaxiom

Post by sylphaxiom »

I honestly think it might be a good thing for us. It is bringing us into the spot light in a less negative manner. I know that some shows and movies like to portray us as evil but there is a growing number of them that show us as just being people who try to make a difference. Yea they exaggerate things and make it so that people believe less in it, but I would like to think that if those people knew an actual witch that they would talk to them and learn more about it. I guess what I mean is that more of us should be out in the open about it and share what we think and what the craft really is about. Not to say I think we should be preachy because then we would be no better than some of the Christians out there but I do think there shouldn't be so many closet Wiccans out there. Times have changed and we should adapt to them. Like moonlit said, we aren't being burned anymore for being a witch so I think we should embrace it and hope progress keeps pushing us forward. Plus you must admit that things in the media have gotten much better in recent years. At least they are getting some things right and not always making us the bad guy in the story!
May the Gods be with you, and the hand of Fate be a gentle touch to guide you.

Return to “Witchcraft and Wicca in the Media”