Stitchwitch

Say hello and tell us a little bit about you and your interests.
Stitchwitch

Stitchwitch

Post by Stitchwitch »

Interests: Writing, art, cooking, crafts, reading, comics

After years of lamenting that magic isn’t real and wishing that I were able to believe that witchcraft could, in fact, be effective, here I am, declaring my magical path to strangers on the internet. Howdy!

So what changed? Perspective. I reframed my definitions of magic and witchcraft and explored the many ways in which one could be a witch. I’m now following the path of a hearth witch (sometimes called cottage witch) with elements of kitchen, green, and lunar witchcraft.

My path is spiritual, not religious. The primary belief informing my magic is that I have the innate power to actualize my will through mindfulness, practice, and conviction. The purpose of my witchcraft is to provide spiritual and physical well-being for myself and for my family. I strive to acknowledge and inject the magical into my daily life wherever possible. This may include taking a moment to relive the memories attached to each plate or bowl as I’m washing dishes, focusing on each of my senses as I drink a hot cup of tea, or taking a few deep breaths to better feel my connection to nature. I’m also exploring herbalism and astronomy.

While spellwork isn’t the center of my craft, the spells I do perform rely heavily on visualization and expression of intent. Tradition, ritual, food items, objects, incantations - any or all are used to focus my intent as I work. I create my own spells and I prefer to work with methods that engage multiple senses. Symbolism also plays an important role in my spellcraft. In choosing ingredients and other components, I use my own associations, as well as more traditional correspondences, to further clarify my intent. I consider my spells very practical in the sense that they result in a final product that serves another (usually related) purpose. Right now most of my spells are meals, but I hope to create enchanted wearables, cosmetics, and cleaning supplies when I have a bit more room in my budget and schedule. Ultimately, my spells are another way to incorporate magic into my domestic life.

I hope that this forum can introduce me to new ideas and maybe a few new friends, too. I recognize that my beliefs may differ from many of the members here (I do not worship or invoke any deities or spirits, nor do I follow any formal teachings), so I want to make it clear that any explanations I give of why I hold my particular beliefs are not meant to dispute, invalidate, or belittle yours. Please feel free to ask me questions. I look forward to sharing!
stormofwind

Re: Stitchwitch

Post by stormofwind »

Welcome to the board I have almost the same interests as you
I'm self taught artist. and writer. creativity is great release
Reading old books ..
As far as spells I think of something I want and shows up on ebay.
I buy far too much stuff.
Psychic a to z most of the time.. controlling the wind.
I like planting roses and some flowers.
I have power thats all I know for certain.
L.J.Hex

Post by L.J.Hex »

Welcome in. :)

Your approach seems to be very practical and do-it-yourself, I like that. I tend to improvise and make my own things too. The forum has been rather quiet lately. I wish people would activate and post more, selfish me as I have so much time to be online during winter. :P

Anyway, nice to have you here. :flyingwitch:
By my feet the flowers of witchery abloom.
Stitchwitch

Post by Stitchwitch »

Thank you both for being so welcoming!

I love that the Pagan/Wiccan/Witchcraft communities seem open to individual interpretation and practice. I've gotten the sense that individual exploration is encouraged even within a lot of the more codified branches, but I'm not sure if that's generally true or just the impression created by my limited experience with such groups.
L.J.Hex

Post by L.J.Hex »

Stitchwitch wrote:Thank you both for being so welcoming!

I love that the Pagan/Wiccan/Witchcraft communities seem open to individual interpretation and practice. I've gotten the sense that individual exploration is encouraged even within a lot of the more codified branches, but I'm not sure if that's generally true or just the impression created by my limited experience with such groups.
At least it is on this forum. My interaction here hasn't been that active yet as I have been reading way more than posting, but can you feel the vibe already? Its very nice around here. Not so much in every forum...

I've been on another witchcraft forum which didn't feel that welcoming, I sensed there being sort of a inner circle of people who mostly ignore "outsiders" and the admin didn't seem to like cherry picking of ideas and such. I find that funny, because as there is no authority to tell us how to do our thing, why is it hard then to tolerate differing ways?

In my experience in real life, most people who are into these things are quite open minded and ready to talk once the ice is broken. Although Finns might be a different kettle of fish as they usually keep things to themselves and take a little effort to warm up. At least these days you don't need to be scared for getting burned for this stuff. :twisted:

Have fun posting. ;) :flyingwitch:
By my feet the flowers of witchery abloom.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Hello & welcome. I also experience the Craft as a spiritual path & not as a religion. There are times it's hard to tell the difference though :D
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Xiao has a thread in the Gods and Goddesses are. Paganism: When There Aren't Any Gods. You might find that of interest.
Daughter of Sekhmet
Stitchwitch

Post by Stitchwitch »

At least these days you don't need to be scared for getting burned for this stuff. :twisted:
Very true! I do live in the US South, though, so I'm still far from comfortable exiting the broom closet at work or with family. I'm lucky to have a very supportive husband, though.
I also experience the Craft as a spiritual path & not as a religion. There are times it's hard to tell the difference though :D

I agree, and I keep finding different definitions, so I'm not 100% clear on the difference. I generally feel it's more spiritual for me because I don't believe in deities, there's no set doctrine, and my practice is focused on personal growth. I'm sure someone could argue against that, but "spiritual" is the best descriptor I have at the moment.
Xiao has a thread in the Gods and Goddesses are.
Paganism: When There Aren't Any Gods. You might find that of interest.
Thank you! I did find that interesting.
Shekinah

Post by Shekinah »

There are as many variations of Wicca and Witchcraft as there are Wiccans and Witches. We have no dogma and remain free to " do as we will". Most of us write our own rituals and explore many forms of magick, set our altar as inspiration leads us and choose Divinities we wish to commune with. Our power is relative to our dedication to our way of life.
Truth and Reality are highly guarded secrets. Nothing is as it appears. "The ONENESS sleeps in the stone, breathes in the plant, dreams in the animal and awakens in man" (Indian proverb)
Triskele

Post by Triskele »

The open mindedness is what I like most from many of the Witches I meet. It's one thing that I was very dissatisfied with in the Christian churches. Welcome!
~Laugh and the world laughs with you.
Cackle maniacally and people back away from you slowly.~
Isidor

Post by Isidor »

Hi Stitchwitch,

Your belief system is very relatable, especially the "spiritual but not religious" aspect. While not everyone agrees with this approach, this "faith" (or beautiful tapestry of different thoughts and beliefs all woven together) is ultimately a forgiving tailor-made fit of what feels right to you. Well, at least in its current incarnation. And if someone rejects that, it is still ultimately what makes you happy and fulfilled as a person. And it sounds like you are doing just that!!!

Good luck in further exploring what it means to you. Though it sounds like at this point you could be giving me lessons ;)

Have a beautiful day

-Andrea Kubicek

Return to “Member Profiles & Introductions”