What are your thoughts on suicide?

General discussion/questions about life, death, sexuality, love, teen concerns, lifestyle, & work.
Aetherial

What are your thoughts on suicide?

Post by Aetherial »

I'm genuinely curious.
Mr Crowley
Banned Member

Re: What are your thoughts on suicide?

Post by Mr Crowley »

If I could have one just more wish, I'd wipe the cobwebs from my eyes. © Ozzy Osborn

It's a long-term solution for a short-term problem. I'm not a big heaven-hell fan, but I could be mistaken. There is no guarantee that the other side will be better. Instead of going to eternal darkness they were expecting, they go to a hell that makes life look like heaven. Nobody knows what happens after life, so it isn't worth the risk.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I think it really depends on the circumstances. We passed a physician assisted end of life bill in Colorado. When someone is terminally ill, and wants to go out on their own terms, they can obtain a prescription cocktail to leave their failing body behind.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

I heard a theory once that if you commit suicide, then you'll be put into a strange sort of 'limbo' in the astral until the time you should have had on earth expires. For example, if you were supposed to die at 60, and committed suicide at 30, you'd be in limbo for 30 years until you were reincarnated back into the same sort of condition you left at.

Not sure how much faith I put into it, but it's an interesting perspective to think on.
moonraingirl

Post by moonraingirl »

I agree with it in case of a terminal illness (although there are ethical issues with making it legal).

I can fully understand if someone commits it because of life problems and emotional issues. I've had similar thoughts myself. Sometimes it was difficult to hold on.

But same as others, I believe there's some kind of consequence or punishment for it in the afterlife. Maybe you'll have the same problems in your next live. And they will repeat until you learn from them.
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

corvidus wrote:I heard a theory once that if you commit suicide, then you'll be put into a strange sort of 'limbo' in the astral until the time you should have had on earth expires. For example, if you were supposed to die at 60, and committed suicide at 30, you'd be in limbo for 30 years until you were reincarnated back into the same sort of condition you left at.

Not sure how much faith I put into it, but it's an interesting perspective to think on.
That sounds similar to Catholic belief, actually.

My thoughts is context matters. You have people who want to die that are suffering terminal illnesses or people who aelf sacrifice. I really think it's depending.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
Hagerman420

Post by Hagerman420 »

Thoughts on Suicide

Well.. for me I collapsed on life because I was ashamed of myself, I had burnt so many bridges.. was not getting along with my mum too well, I was on house arrest, lots of arguing all the time, I was in a wicked self-pity state of mind... I would have succeeded with death if I had not have gotten up and walked myself to a payphone and called an ambulance .... point is it usually happens when a person feels they have nothing left in life, feels like no one loves you and your nothing in life and will never amount to anything better in life..... it's the lowest of low levels for a human to feel like this. Not to mention its selfish... to yourself and family and friends...

My experience was over 11 years ago now... When people talk about suicide and feel down I try to help them, share my experience... try to help them in any way I can... sometimes they just lash out and get angry... sometimes they just feel happy to have someone that understands :)

I feel Suicide is Selfish...
Be Happy Stay Happy :)
Shekinah

Post by Shekinah »

I don't think we are so important that the Gods even know or care what we do if not communicating our intentions with them. Our life is our nickel to do with as we wish but be willing to accept some unknown consequence. Life is abundant throughout the universe, we are nothing special, in fact, me thinks we be a wee bit retarded after thousands of years we still haven't learned to play well with others. Who will shed a tear even if we pull the plug on our planet and incinerate our species, which we seem hell bent on doing.
Truth and Reality are highly guarded secrets. Nothing is as it appears. "The ONENESS sleeps in the stone, breathes in the plant, dreams in the animal and awakens in man" (Indian proverb)
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Aetherial, ...you ok?
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
HopefulChild

Post by HopefulChild »

I have always had a knee jerk reaction that "Suicide is selfish"...

Then I lived some more.
Then I watched people suffer for months and years and eventually die as an empty husk of a human shell.
Then I learned about the meat machine that we all are.
Then I felt great compassion for the people that were born into or developed a faulty meat machine but were stuck driving it until it finally broke down completely and failed.
Then I thought about my own life and what it meant and what I thought of as important.
Then I lived some more...in health...and comfort.
Then I felt great compassion again for those people who don't get to live with the bounty that I waste.
Then I looked at my children and wondered if I would be angry at them if they ended the life I have worked so hard to help nurture and maintain and grow.
Then I lived some more.
It continues. My battle to understand.
I imagine it will continue on.
And I'll live. Until I don't.
Aetherial

Post by Aetherial »

The reason I'm asking is because I will most likely end my life by the end of this month.

I've had some truly painful experiences in life, but that's not really that much worth talking about.

The bottom line is that I am alone, I have no friends, no love, no good education, no career, no future and no prospects. As of the start of March I'm broke, because of a failed investment. By the end of this month I have a gigantic amount of tax to pay, plus debt, plus rent and living expenses. And I don't even have an equivalent of one dollar. Even if I would find a job now I won't be able to earn enough money to pay for the rent and bills, not to mention the ginormous debt I will have to face. If I stay here I would have to get some tiny, awful flat or maybe even a garage or other sort of cheap den and work some lousy job I will hate just to stay alive from month to month, from year to year will no chances of going back to university or improving my living conditions in any way. I don't want to sound like it's all about money, because it's really not. If I was not alone then probably I wouldn't even care. We could have go into the woods and feed on berries and sleep in tents for the rest of my life for all I care. But alone I simply don't have the motivation to even try. Not to mention, this is not the first failure in my life. It seems that whatever I tried, whatever I really cared about, everything always ends up in total ruin. I'm also ugly, completely unattractive and my health deteriorated to the point that it's rather difficult for me to live, over the span of the last year ever since my grandmother died.

I had just enough money in store to get myself a revolver along with all the needed apparel in case such a thing occurs and I simply don't see any better choice than to use it by the end of the month and release myself from this life.

That is also the reason why I'm curious what awaits on the other side, that is IF anything does.

If this world is nothing but the material plane as many claim and if our consciousness is only the result of the brain activity and there is nothing beyond life, then it's simply sad and makes me want to end it even more.

As Carl Sagan wrote in Pale Blue Dot:

“Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilisation, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there-on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.”

If we could thing objectively for a moment and from a larger perspective - life seems rather overrated and if you feel broken today and decide not to fight against it and are promised an easy journey to some utopian limbo where all souls, great and depraved, go, or simply vast nothingness, well then why not take the ticket?

On the other hand if this is but a mere stage of my true existence and death is just another transition, much like birth. Perhaps then after I'm gone from here I will be showered with love I was yearning for the whole life, just a cloud of pure love, my core self will be bathed-away, all the awful things I've experienced here washed away. There will be no judgement, only complete understanding. And with complete understanding of the person -- mind, emotions, memories -- there is nothing to explain. Perhaps I chose to be born in the first place. Maybe I will remember the time before I was born -- when I was looking down on Earth from the ethereal plane, and I actually had other ethereal friends too, and we joked about how the people on Earth were so forgetful. I would see the people running around on Earth, busy with their lives, but many of them living very sad unfulfilled lives, but so caught up with life, they forgot who they are at the core (ethereal beings too), as a result living without freedom. Silly, because the beings that got born, always said the same thing, "I will remember who I am, I won't let the world make me forget." But by the time they were about 10 years old, almost all of them were so heavily indoctrinated by the world, that by age 10 they had completely forgotten the truth. We would laugh at how some gave up sooner than others. Playful teasing.

So that's that. I'm not sure what awaits me and I'm a bit scared of what's to come, but it seems this is the end of line for me.
Shekinah

Post by Shekinah »

On a brighter side we are Divine beings, an embodiment of Spirit, infant gods on an eternal journey between worlds and various dimensions of mortality and divinity. We are "units of awareness" providing a sense of presence and experience for a collective Cosmic Consciousness on a multiplicity of worlds. This entangled consciousness of the life phenomenon is Spirit (God if you wish). We are ONE in the realm of Akasha. (Journal of experience) What doesn't kill us makes us stronger. Engage your family or social services support system for a short reprieve from your bleak situation to buy time to plan a new approach for empowering yourself. Communicate with you Spirit Guide (God/Goddess). I wish you well Sister of the Craft.
Truth and Reality are highly guarded secrets. Nothing is as it appears. "The ONENESS sleeps in the stone, breathes in the plant, dreams in the animal and awakens in man" (Indian proverb)
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

It's a big decision either way. If you decide not to continue, you will be missed here.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
moonraingirl

Post by moonraingirl »

Definitely, we would miss you. And I think you would miss this community, too. You still have us, even when we are only virtual from your point of view. But in fact, we are real living people, who want to be your friends.

There are organisations who help people in your situation. You are still open to solutions, I think.
Aetherial

Post by Aetherial »

I do not have any family and there is no social services support system that would help me. I live in the Old World, and in one of its poorest countries, probably.

Brother, actually. Thank you for your kind words, either way.

I know, Snow. It is a big decision. I'm not taking it lightly and I try to consider every option.

I'm completely on my own. As I said, in this country if you're poor and don't have money for even the most basic of things, it's your problem.

Return to “Life, Death, and Love”