A Lunar Calendar System

For all things "moon", your guide to magical moon work, moon phases, etc.
Bran th' Blessed

A Lunar Calendar System

Post by Bran th' Blessed »

I am a calendrist; that is, it is my hobby to study the history and principles of calendar design. I'm just intrigued by it all.

Calendar History. Early humans were hunter-gatherers for some time prior to the beginning of agriculture. They left behind many examples of wood or stone that was clearly marked to count the days of a moon (month). Various results were obtained, from about 28 days to about 30 days. Thirty days was perhaps popular because it is three pairs of hands, or I should say the thumbs and fingers thereof. (If we had had seven digits to a hand instead of five, I'm sure the 28 day moon would have won--dare I say "hands down".) Well, the fact is that a moon is very nearly 29 and a half days in length, so 30 days is off by half a day while 28 days is off by a day and a half, an error that was simply three times more obvious as moon followed moon.

The Celestial Calendar. It was also estimated that the seasonal year was about 360 days, not because precise measurements indicated that to be its length but because 30 days to a moon times twelve zodiacal constellations equals 360 days to a year. Our circles all have 360 degrees in them because the sun took 360 days to circle the sky, according to those early estimates of time. Each degree is the distance the sun travels around the sky each day of the year. I call this system the "Celestial Calendar System". It's a very elegant system that divides the sky into twelve constellations of 30 degrees each.

On the vernal equinox of every year, the sun and moon are in union in the 1st degree of Ares (the Ram). The Sun moves one degree each day and in 30 days it has moved to the 1st degree of the next constellation, Taurus. The Moon moves much faster in the same direction (west to east across the stellar background). The Moon moves 13 degrees every day. (That's where 13 gets its magic.) In the same 30 days that the Sun takes to reach the 1st degree of Taurus, the Moon moves 13 x 30 degrees, 390 degrees. It circles the sky completely (360 degrees) and then goes an additional 30 degrees, ending up in perfect union with the Sun in the 1st degree of Taurus. Each 30 day Moon, the Sun and Moon dance around the sky and end up in union in the 1st degree of another constellation. They journey around the zodiac in 360 days and in up back in union in the 1st degree of Ares on the vernal equinox. Is that elegant or what?

Sadly, reality is not so elegant. Twelve Moons mark about 354 days while a seasonal year is much nearer to 365 days. Many efforts have been made to salvage the synchronicity of the month and the year, and none of them are very elegant at all. Every few years require an additional (13th) month to keep the two cycles approximately aligned. When I began working on a lunar calendar, I never even tried to align it with the seasonal calendar of the year. Our measurements of all these periods are so much more precise today than 100,000, or 10,000, or indeed even 1,000 years ago. So designing a lunar calendar system was fairly easy.

The Lunar Calendar. The period of one Moon (a month) is very close to 29 & 1/2 days. To keep it on integer values and not fractions, I created a period of 59 days which I call a Lunar Doublet. A Doublet is two Moons. The first Moon of each Doublet starts at midnight beginning the first day of the Doublet and ends at midday on the 30th day of the Doublet. Since this Moon starts at midnight and ends at midday, I call it the Morning Moon of the Doublet. The second Moon starts at midday on the 30th day of the Doublet and ends at midnight closing the 59th day of the Doublet. Since this final Moon starts at midday and ends at midnight, I call it the Evening Moon of the Doublet.

Each Doublet is divided into two Moons, each Moon has 27 days divided into three Phases per Moon (maiden phase, mother phase, and crone phase), and each phase is divided into three Templets of three days each. There are also two Dark Moon templets in each Doublet. The Dark Moon templet between the Morning and Evening Moons is three days long, but the Dark Moon templet spanning the end of one Doublet and the beginning of the next is only two days long. Thus, three days make a templet, three templets make a phase, and three phases make a Moon. All Moons are separated by two or three day Dark Moon templets during which the Moon is hidden in union with the Sun. Here is the breakdown of a typical Doublet.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Days_________Moon Templet & Phase
01 & 59_______Dark Moon - Templet of Kore-Persephone (Interlunary Phase)
02-04 & 32-34__Early Waxing Crescent Moon - Templet of Selene-Luna (Maiden Phase)
05-07 & 35-37__Late Waxing Crescent Moon - Templet of Artemis-Diana (Maiden Phase)
08-10 & 38-40__Early Waxing Ovate Moon - Templet of Hanwi (Maiden Phase)
11-13 & 41-43__Late Waxing Ovate Moon - Templet of N'Game' (Mother Phase)
14-16 & 44-46__Full Moon - Templet of Isis-Istar (Mother Phase)
17-19 & 47-49__Early Waning Ovate Moon - Templet of Nana (Mother Phase)
20-22 & 50-52__Late Waning Ovate Moon - Templet of Mawu (Crone Phase)
23-25 & 53-55__Early Waning Crescent Moon - Templet of Cerredwyn-Kali (Crone Phase)
26-28 & 56-58__Late Waning Crescent Moon - Templet of Hecate-Hela (Crone Phase)
29 - 31________Dark Moon - Templet of Kore-Persephone (Interlunary Phase)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The early waxing crescent and the late waning crescents are the thin fingernail moons, the earliest visible moons commonly seen. Each templet represents a fairly distinctive period of each lunation, one that is more finely attuned to the Moon's changing forms than the four quarter system of most calendars. I should think it easier to identify the best lunar periods for specific magick works with this system.

Long-Term Lunar Periods. A period of sixteen Doublets (that is, 32 Moons) is called a Cynthiad. The last Doublet in every Cynthiad has an additional "Cynthiad Day" (day 60) appended to the two-day Dark Moon Templet. This adjustment keeps the Lunar Calendar accurate for 47 Cynthiads. This period of 47 Cynthiads is called a Lunar Age. The last Cynthiad in every Lunar Age does NOT have the additional day 60 appended to its final Doublet. Every Cynthiad has 945 days, which is precisely 135 weeks, so every Cynthiad within an Age begins on the same day of the week. For example, every Cynthiad in this Lunar Age begins on a Sunday. Because the last Cynthiad of an Age has only 944 days, all the Cynthiads of the next Age will begin one weekday earlier, and over a period of seven Lunar Ages the first days of the Cynthiads in each Age will cycle in reverse order through all the days of the week. This period of seven Lunar Ages is therefore called a Wycke. The grandest scale of Lunar time, a Lunar Epoch, consists of nine Wyckes of seven Lunar Ages each, and each Age contains 47 Cynthiads of 32 Moons (sixteen Doublets) apiece. A Lunar Epoch is about 7,661 years.

As I have my Lunar Calendar set up, we are presently in the Seventh Age of Baldur. (NOTE: Baldur is my Sun God of choice, so it is the Seventh Age of the Sun, meaning that all the Cynthiads in this Age begin on Sundays.) It is the seventh Wycke of the Epoch, and thus the Seventh Age of Baldur. The 1st Day of the 1st Moon in the 43rd Cynthiad of the Seventh Age of Baldur will occur on July 27, 2014.

I would be interested in any comments on this system. I think my ego can withstand a bit of well-intended criticism, and in fact if it can't then the criticism is also well-deserved. :-) Thanks!

Bran th' Blessed
Bran th' Blessed

Re: A Lunar Calendar System

I beg pardon for thinking this to be an active part of the forum. I am new here and thought someone might at least visit this post a few times by now, and yes, I had hoped for some manner of comment. Still, I am an intrepid poster in the wilderness, content that my post by whatever chance has landed out in this forum forest, this virtual netherlands far from the beaten path so trampled down by human exploration. Out here the birds look curiously at my intrusion and warn me with excited chattering that I have trespassed into a non-human zone where only the wild ones of the Earth are permitted.

I am fortunate in this regard in having my dear companion and guide, Theoretika the Unicorn, with me. Being a resident of my mind, she is comfortable in such virtual wildlands as this WORKING-WITH-THE-MOON place beyond places.

"You know," she says to me as she looks around and takes in the deserted landscape, "for a wilderness, this place could really use a maid." I realize suddenly that she has a point, and I mean no discourtesy by this--you have a fine forum to be sure--, but this little frontier of human excursion, or should I say incursion, is just a tad shabby. Nature has a gift for cleaning herself, you know. Let a hurricane rip through a wilderness, tearing down the trees and uprooting the shrubs and thickets, still a few weeks later and the destruction has been incorporated into a whole new schema. The animals use the debris to build new shelters, new growth begins to cover the old ruin, and in spite of all the chaos and disruption nature reclaims her control of, well, nature. But this virtual wildland...what can I say but that you can see the shabby human hand in pretence of true nature.

I mean there are many sweet birds singing and flitting about, and the proper amount of little varmits traipsing all about and looking with genuine curiosity at my presence. The trees are lush with seasonal foliage and remnants of foliage, and the grasses are tall and sinuous. For a virtual wilderness, it's very, uh..., wildernessy (?).

Theoretika has been browsing about, sniffing and pawing the ground. Now she turns her head slightly toward me and says only, "Programmed." For her, that seems to say it all, but I blunder around the notion before grasping her point. programmed reality can only mimic natural reality, at best. Some times it's so bad you can even see the pixels, but even when the virtual virtuosity is wonderful--and yes, that's a compliment--the programming leaves a mark, subtle and withdrawn in the shadows, trying not to be observed; but ever-present. After seeing my realisation, she nods her head at me knowingly. "You humans leave a spore trail wherever you go. Cartoon characters could follow your trail through a garbage dump."

"Hey!" I respond defensively, "I've seen worse." She only lowers her eyes at me and frowns, as if to say 'you ARE worse!', then snorts at me.

"I'll tell you what, Bran," she says to me after looking around a few seconds more, "and I will deny ever having given you anything so close to a compliment, if I am ever questioned about this, but this place has spirit." I raised my eyebrows in surprise. "I can feel the Pagan presence in the programming," she continued. "Especially that big old moon up there."

I looked at the moon suspended in the lavender night sky. Yeah. I could feel the spirit there, that ancient unrelenting dancer in the stars, my own personal goddess of choice. Only a Pagan, who senses the spirit and soul in all things, can have gotten all this right. It may be a virtual reality, but it has spirit, it has life energy. That's why it is able to mimic nature so nearly. Because it sees with the heart. Theoretika is always able to get to the essences much quicker than I.

So sure, it's a little shabby, it smells of human programming, but it has more, it has that intangible something that non-Pagans could never envision, much less duplicate. Theoretika has wandered farther into the wilderness, but I'll remain here at the edge, conscientious of leaving the wild as wild as it may be.

But the moon has spoken to me through her virtual image. She said my calendar's okay. She said don't be too bothered if others don't appreciate it as much as I hope. Humans are all unique and wonderful. Some will be able to share my appreciation of it and others will not, she said. My Goddess Moon is most kind. She said that it was a labour of Love, and therefore a treasure to her.

Well I must close for now. I do hope Theoretika comes out of there soon. Unicorns have such an odd sense of time and timelessness.

Bran th' Blessed
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Hi Bran, you're quite a character :D :fairy: Sorry I had not responded earlier. Sometimes my eyes roll back in my head when I see a bunch of numbers, it's so closely related to math....math and me have been enemies since the dawn of my time. I tried to follow as best I could, but I'm not sure how you arrive at 59 days from dark moon to dark moon. Maybe if you made a different chart, I'm a real visual person. I get the three day thing, as I have had the feeling the energy of a moon full or dark moon lasts a full three day period anyway, would make sense the rest of the phases would follow. I was surprised and pleased to know about the 13 degree movement,...learn something new every day !
(oops :oops: ...not paying attention in my astrology class? ugh, you know...it's the numbers)
But I also thought the 13 comes from that magical and hidden 13th moon that pops up every now and again.
I follow an old lunar calender, the Coligny calender, I'm sure you've heard of it...but some how they have managed to squeeze the 13 moon in there. I would also be interested on your thoughts of that system.
And give Theoretika some carrots from me ( she does like carrots I trust :mrgreen: ) and tell her I think she is very wise.
Many blessings, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Bran th' Blessed

firebirdflys, I stumbled through high school math and algebra, but then in college I was confronted with trigonometry and calculus. :anxious: But oddly, I started playing with numbers in the fashion of numerology, where you reduce all numbers to their single digit equivalence--I call it a mene. The number 1234 reduces to the mene (1), so do the numbers 10, 37, 64, 127, and 343. Anyway, while just playing with numbers reduced to their one-digit menes, I have had a lot of fun and found some very interesting hidden things.

The calendar math is fairly simple stuff--adding, subtracting, and a bit of remainder division. But I sympathise with you about all the math stuff...big time. That thing with 59 days from dark moon to dark moon is really 59 days from dark moon through dark moon to dark moon; that is it's not just one lunar period but two lunar periods. I call that period of two moons a "Doublet". Each moon is 29 and 1/2 days long; multiply by two and you get 59. The first moon is called the morning moon. It begins on day one and goes half way through day 30, up to midday. The second moon, the evening moon, begins at midday on day 30 and ends on day 59.

I read your comment about three day periods even before I posted my calendar. One reason I posted it was because I agree with you about the distinguishable periods of a moon being identifiable as ten three-day periods--such as those my chart describes. I'll redo it later without doubling up. It'll be longer, but probably easier to read.

Gotta go for now.
Bran
Holdasown

Post by Holdasown »

I am a big believer in the stars being where they should when things happen. I don't think our signs or birth charts are chance. That said I have a very hard time with planet positions, tracking movement to the .00 seconds and what not. It's not something my brain comprehends. It sounds like you have figured something out and I found it interesting but I can't comment from an intellectual perspective.

I can say in my tradition Mani, the moon, god, is known for his math skills and he would be most impressed with the time and effort and knowledge you have up into this.
-Dark-Moon-

Post by -Dark-Moon- »

The templets make complete sense to me as I work in 3 day periods as per the lunar cycle...
I am that which is attained at the end of desire
Bran th' Blessed

Here is another version of the chart of a Lunar Doublet, this one showing the two moons of the Doublet separately.

Days__Moon Templet & Phase
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
01.____Dark Moon - Templet of Kore-Persephone (Interlunary Phase) - MORNING MOON begins
02-04__Early Waxing Crescent Moon - Templet of Selene-Luna (Maiden Phase)
05-07__Late Waxing Crescent Moon - Templet of Artemis-Diana (Maiden Phase)
08-10__Early Waxing Ovate Moon - Templet of Hanwi (Maiden Phase)
11-13__Late Waxing Ovate Moon - Templet of N'Game' (Mother Phase)
14-16__Full Moon - Templet of Isis-Istar (Mother Phase)
17-19__Early Waning Ovate Moon - Templet of Nana (Mother Phase)
20-22__Late Waning Ovate Moon - Templet of Mawu (Crone Phase)
23-25__Early Waning Crescent Moon - Templet of Cerredwyn-Kali (Crone Phase)
26-28__Late Waning Crescent Moon - Templet of Hecate-Hela (Crone Phase)
29 - 30_Dark Moon - Templet of Kore-Persephone (Interlunary Phase) - MORNING MOON ends at Midday, Day 30
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
30 - 31_Dark Moon - Templet of Kore-Persephone (Interlunary Phase) - EVENING MOON begins at Midday, Day 30
32-34__Early Waxing Crescent Moon - Templet of Selene-Luna (Maiden Phase)
35-37__Late Waxing Crescent Moon - Templet of Artemis-Diana (Maiden Phase)
38-40__Early Waxing Ovate Moon - Templet of Hanwi (Maiden Phase)
41-43__Late Waxing Ovate Moon - Templet of N'Game' (Mother Phase)
44-46__Full Moon - Templet of Isis-Istar (Mother Phase)
47-49__Early Waning Ovate Moon - Templet of Nana (Mother Phase)
50-52__Late Waning Ovate Moon - Templet of Mawu (Crone Phase)
53-55__Early Waning Crescent Moon - Templet of Cerredwyn-Kali (Crone Phase)
56-58__Late Waning Crescent Moon - Templet of Hecate-Hela (Crone Phase)
59.____Dark Moon - Templet of Kore-Persephone (Interlunary Phase) - EVENING MOON ends at midnight
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hope this helps you to visualise the Doublet and its two moons.

Bran
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Yes! thank you, much better :fairy:
sorry 'bout the math stuff :oops: , I find it fascinating.... and more fascinating when some one really gets it. (my Dad was one...I was not...ooooh do you sense trouble brewing?)
So you don't necessarily start the count at the moment of dark moon ( like for instance, dark moon was at 12:00am PST March 1st), but rather the morning of the first phase of darkness?
The elegant journey you speak of... this is according to tropical or sidereal astrology?
...And Now I would wonder on the choice of Ladies you have for the different phases, many of them I am not familiar with. can you elaborate on their qualities and place of origin ?
blessings, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Bran th' Blessed

firebirdflys, the doublet is a period of 59 days. A moon is a series of nine templets of three days each, so each moon is only 27 days in total. Two moons combine for a total duration of 54 days (2 x 27). Those extra five days don't really belong to either moon; they're interlunary periods identified by the Dark Moon templets. The two moons of the doublet are like incarnations, you see. They embody the visible moons, but the spirit of the moon is greater than those incarnations. It is eternal, unborn and undying. That is the message the doublet gives to us with its Dark Moon templets in which the spirit of the moon remains though the body of the moon is absent.. It is not the spirit of the moon that appears, grows to fullness, and fades back into darkness Those visible bodies are only the physical embodiments of that eternal spirit.

The elegant journey I speak of is not astrology, it's about the origins of calendry in human history. It is not a statement of scientific truth, but a statement of poetic truth. The Celestial Calendar never to my knowledge existed as described, but all of its features were parts of various calendars during the historical development of human timekeeping. The reason we have so many lunisolar calendars, such as the Coligny Calendar you mentioned, is because people have been determined to make the sun and moon agree although they do not. I note that the Coligny Calendar utilised alternating moons of 30 and 29 days, which you see is the same as a 59-day doublet. I'm not fond of having some years a full month longer than others and the error value of these lunisolar systems would usually result in a significant discrepancy with the actual seasonal year in only a few hundred years, and probably less. This might be corrected by improvised adjustments to keep it accurate with astronomical observation. It is also possible to use lunisolar calendars as ritual calendars as long as you use a more reliable calendar to serve as a master timekeeper by which the lunisolar calendars can be adjusted as needed.

Bran
Bran th' Blessed

All the names used for the goddesses of the templets are at least casually researched on the internet. I tried to use names from many cultures. N'game' and Mawu are African goddesses with lunar associations. Hanwi is an American Indian moon goddess. Many are by no means goddesses of the moon, but they have lunar attributes and associations. Hecate, for example, is obviously not a Goddess of the Moon.

I also have named each of the 32 moons in a cynthiad, for totem trees and animals. Thus, I was born on a Crow Moon and have both the Sycamore and the Crow for my totems. (They share the same doublet.) Here are the names of the 32 moons of a cynthiad.

01 - 08 = Apple . Rabbit | Redwood . Bear | Ash . Owl | Walnut . Deer |
09 - 16 = Holly . Spider | Willow . Dove | Pine . Coyote | Cedar . Elk |
17 - 24 = Oak . Otter | Maple . Fox | Cottonwood . Buffalo | Hickory . Hawk |
25 - 32 = Cypress . Serpent | Sycamore . Crow | Birch . Badger | Elder . Wolf

If anyone wants to know what moon they were born on, what day of the moon they were born on, and how many moons of age they are, I only need a birthday (month, day, year)--recommend it be PM'ed for privacy concerns. As it happens, I just turned 800 on this very moon. I bet I don't look a day over 786, eh? :-)

Bran

Return to “Working with the Moon”