What kind of table to use for altar?

Frequently asked questions about witchcraft, Wicca, magick, paganism, and the occult. Subjects include love spells, Ouija boards, curses, Law of Attraction, and what to do if you don't have the needed tools, ingredients, altar, etc.
WiccanWitch

What kind of table to use for altar?

Post by WiccanWitch »

I'm slowly collecting items to make an altar but what makes a good altar? Is it meant to be stood or knelt in front of? I worry about my son and dog and cats if I use a meditation table since they're only around 12-14" tall. I was looking at accent tables around 29" tall but they're pretty small as far as having surface to work with.

So what do YOU use?
Heartsong

Re: What kind of table to use for altar?

Post by Heartsong »

I actually use a china hutch that belonged to my grandmother. It has shelving that goes up so I have a lot of room for a lot of different things and cupboards for storage. I like how practical it is and I like that it's got some family history to it as well. When I work outside, however, I usually just place everything I need on the grass.

If you want something portable, then an accent or meditation table would probably be just about perfect in terms of size and weight. If you're looking for something that you want to be a more permanent placement sort of thing, then yes, you'll likely want something a bit bigger and taller so that little hands and paws can't so easily get into what's on it (my dog is small but I've babysat my sister's huge ones and they have a bad habit of putting their noses in things, like lit candles. Another reason I like the tall hutch!).

I've seen and heard of a lot of creative altar spaces. Some members have used their window sills, hope chests, the top of their television, a shoebox, etc. Just wherever they could comfortably set up.
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

My altar is the ground I walk upon :)

It's not the materials that make something sacred, it's your attitude towards it.

I've known people to have "altars" which fit in their pockets.
TwilightDancer

Post by TwilightDancer »

I have two desks. One is a meditation area and the other is my work space. I have two puppies and two curious cats running around everywhere so I know the struggle when finding ways to secure my items. I prefer to stand when I use my work space anyway so it works for me.
Lady stir your cauldron well, chant your words and sing your spell
Come and taste of the cauldron's brew and magic she will give to you

TwilightDancer's Book of Shadows
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

Book cases are good but I found tank tables made for fish tanks to be very good altar things because they have cabinets.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
Ethereal Moon Rose

Post by Ethereal Moon Rose »

I don't have a fixed altar. I keep everything in a box and set it up on my coffee table when I need to.
smogie_michele

Post by smogie_michele »

At the moment, I am currently using a small black box as my altar. I live with the in-laws, so it is easily hidden. When we move this summer, I will set up my normal altar which is a small end table that is the perfect height for kneeling at. I love it.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

I once had a custom-made altar built to my exact specifications that I thought would suit my needs.

In the end, I've used my coffee table far more often. It's made solidly, it's survived a dozen moves, is a good size, and if I put a couple of pillows down it's the right height.
Katrinkah

Post by Katrinkah »

I have a box full of all my Wiccan supplies and when I need to set it up I use TV trays. My apt is too small to have one set up all the time. Works for me though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I've used a 14" square, three tiered kitchen cart with a small drawer. It is 38" tall, on wheels. I believe it is made of pressed bamboo which normally is not a wood I like. You use what you can get. I store my stuff in covered baskets underneath on the 3 shelves, and any extra bargain-day candle supplies are stored in a dresser drawer (or two.) All botanicals are in the kitchen. I can wheel the cart anywhere I need it. I can stand (like in the kitchen), or sit to meditate, and have a folding lawn chair which is quite comfortable to use. I put my stuff away when I'm done because of my intrepid cats who steel my wand if I don't and who will sit on any work in progress. It's a cat-thing. I have a corner shelf as a permanent shrine where I leave lighted candles that is above c-level, i.e., the cats. I have a cat draped over my shoulder as I type this, purring loudly. The cat is purring, not me, although I sometimes hum along. :shock:
crescent

Post by crescent »

I use the bottom half of a baker's rack. I have the top half nearby and use it for storing supplies. Attached, just wasn't trustworthy enough around my animals. I've used different pieces of furniture, but can't get away from always facing south. Love facing the light of moon or sun. Outside, anything is the altar.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Oh yes, you are so right that outside anything is an altar. I've used stacked flower pots and a board, even the deck railing when I'm at home, and tree stumps or rocks out in the woods. On the beach, sand of course

Return to “F.A.Q.”