Rune treatment?

Discussion of runes.
Dr_Sir

Rune treatment?

Post by Dr_Sir »

So I started studying runes today, their properties, realationships and what they mean. one source claimed that rune talismans can be used to treat a variety of sicknesses and psychological issues.

for example Isa+Laguz removes pain , Perth+Uruz+Jera removes digestive problems etc

while I can understand using runes for divination, be it the elder futhark or otherwise, I have strong doubts about curing influenza with runes.

is this just me?
missionaries dismiss me for my single epiphany
The diff between him and me is a simple sip of British Tea!
So when times are hard and life is rough,
You can stick the kettle on and find me a cup
blue_moon

Re: Rune treatment?

Post by blue_moon »

Never heard of that. Sounds a bit odd to me as well. But if you think of the rune as beeing an energy it's more than plausible.

I've read you can energize your food when drawing the runes -i.e. with the spoon into the cookingwater.

In this sense its nothing different from crystal energy that is used for healing.

(I think of the world being energy/vibration/frequency - symbolism to me is important! But i feel better using symbols to channel energies and leaving the energies it self to tge "materials"... but maybe this is what it's about. Channeling energies with runes?
BB

Blue Moon
Dr_Sir

Post by Dr_Sir »

blue_moon wrote:rune as being an energy it's more than plausible.?
Yeah I suppose that makes more sense :)
blue_moon

Post by blue_moon »

If you just take a symbol as a drawing there is not much meaning to it. But there is no piece of art (including little childrens pictures) without a meaning. You don't have to interpret everything put the colours and shapes are used to express sth. Right ;)

Find it on a website? I'd like to take a look if you'd share the link.
BB

Blue Moon
Dr_Sir

Post by Dr_Sir »

blue_moon wrote: Find it on a website? I'd like to take a look if you'd share the link.
Its an app on the google store called runic formulas https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ulas&hl=en
blue_moon

Post by blue_moon »

Thanks
BB

Blue Moon
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Actually, runes were historically used primarily for magic. A lot of archaeological evidence (e.g. stones, jewelry, weapons, etc.) shows runic inscriptions that were meant to impart magical properties, such as protection, abundance, etc. Some of those charms are quite well-known -- :ashrune: :lakerune: :cattlerune: (ALU) meant "ale" and brought prosperity. In the myths, when Odin undergoes his ritual ordeal of hanging from the World Tree gazing into the Well of Urd, he gains the knowledge of runes and their magical uses. There are some indications that runes were also used as divination back then, but most runic divination we use now are actually modern systems (which is fine by me -- I have used runes this way & they are amazingly accurate).

I was once told by a practitioner of runic magic that runes are basically "vending machine magic" -- you use them, you get a guaranteed result. For that reason, you must be VERY skillful in how you use them, or else they will have unintended consequence; the only way to stop the effect of the rune is to destroy the rune itself (e.g. if they were inscribed on wood, you would have to burn the wood). Use the wrong rune in healing, and you might exacerbate the illness.

For this reason, I am a little hesitant to use runes in healing. I have occasionally done some runic magic: inscribed a rune for protection, Algiz :elkrune: , around my house, or written runes for good health :cattlerune: in a cake to be eaten. I would be extremely cautious about how you use runes in healing, though, especially for minor illnesses. Any more than 1 rune at a time and you've got to think a lot about the interactions, the meanings, etc.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Dr_Sir

Post by Dr_Sir »

thanks @Xiao

I'm still quite skeptical of the physical healing properies of runes, as you could more or less pit them to the placebo effect, but for energy healing I think they could be useful, I just feel drawn to runes, much more than the zodiac or other magical symbols

I'll keep the runic magick (as well as all other magick) at an arms length until I feel comfortable
blue_moon

Post by blue_moon »

Wow, Xiao! That was really interesting! Thank you.
I never studied the norse - just looked into them a tiny bit (book/author/page recommendation? ).
BB

Blue Moon
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

Dr_Sir wrote:thanks @Xiao

I'm still quite skeptical of the physical healing properies of runes, as you could more or less pit them to the placebo effect, but for energy healing I think they could be useful, I just feel drawn to runes, much more than the zodiac or other magical symbols

I'll keep the runic magick (as well as all other magick) at an arms length until I feel comfortable
I think that the placebo effect accounts for a lot of alternative medicine, frankly, but ever since I heard that warning about runes being "vending machine magic" from people I trust, I've been much more cautious around them & try not to assume that intent is everything! I agree, however, that they can be very potent in psychological and energetic healing.
blue_moon wrote:Wow, Xiao! That was really interesting! Thank you.
I never studied the norse - just looked into them a tiny bit (book/author/page recommendation? ).
My personal favorite book on the runes is Nordic Runes, by Paul Rhys Mountfort, because he does a great job tying each rune into the myths and mindset of the Norse (even if it's not strictly historical). Sunnyway is a website that has a pretty solid introduction to runes & Norse mythology.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Crazy Cat Lady

Post by Crazy Cat Lady »

Dr_Sir wrote:thanks @Xiao

Don't discount the placebo effect, it's quite powerful. In fact *i* believe the "placebo effect" is simply science's explanation of magic. Remember, there is a significant placebo effect to *every* medication and treatment. "Placebo effect" has cured cancer and other deadly illnesses. It's not just in our heads, it's a measurable, scientific phenomena that scientists attribute to our willing a thing into existence.

Return to “Runes”